jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)

My hub is being call "duplicate." MY hub... as if.

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 7 years ago

My Christmas hub from that hubmob a few weeks back has suddenly been marked with a "Duplicate" marker.  I've pasted a few lines from various places in it into Google and only brings up my hub. So without knowing how to (or spending tons of time learning) use whatever secret detection devices or whatever you guys use, how do I get the hub penalty thing off my hub?

http://hubpages.com/hub/Oh-Goody--Its-F … Time-Again

2. Shadesbreath profile image89

Ok, I just found this:

http://www.flixya.com/blog/xujordan/0/f … r%20comedy

He copied it word for word.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Kkoooolllll-- Shades-breath, at least he put your "name" on it.
      Why do people NOT understand the idea of "use without permission"????

HP should be able to document your posting date.

Imitation is supposed to be  flattering--- but copying is just plain robbery.

I have a very long fuse and rarely get annoyed about anything-- but I am pretty much almost  'put out' by a hubber who regularlly copies other writers and passes off as his or her  work as his or her own work.

I'm almost riled enough to write a hub about it.

I'm collecting my thoughts on the subject.

2. Lissie profile image86
      Lissieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

At least he gave you the link back! I'd just contact the site - at the bottom of the page that should see it gone, Maddie will certify your hub original as well

3. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

LOL Shades, your profile has only three backlinks, and two of them are from that article. You better keep it there big_smile

Oh, and it has your ebay intact, too - so you will get all commissions on ebay sales from this article, too - sounds fair to me tongue

4. Lissie profile image86
    Lissieposted 7 years ago

Oh that's funny Misha- guys too stupid to be a spammer!

5. anne.moss profile image60
    anne.mossposted 7 years ago

Lots of stupid thieves out there. I've seen pages copied not only with affiliate codes but with adsense codes intact *rolleyes*

6. Peter Hoggan profile image84
    Peter Hogganposted 7 years ago

It’s a real pain in the ass finding your work stolen and placed on some random site. Much of this work is done by scrapers which constantly spider the web looking for new content. Unfortunately you are never going to stop it so the best thing to do is make sure you have a good link back to your website or profile page within the body of every article you post. Many of these spammers never check the page and at least you get a link back for your hard work.

7. Shadesbreath profile image89

Well, I emailed the site themselves and woke up this morning wiht a message saying they'd taken it down.  At least they are on top of it.

8. Shirley Anderson profile image85
    Shirley Andersonposted 7 years ago

Has someone confused this site with a 'free content' one?  Sounds like it since he left all your info in tact.  Hey, maybe he'd pay you for it.

9. B.T. Evilpants profile image60
    B.T. Evilpantsposted 7 years ago

Looks like it's gone. The link leads to a blank page, now.

1. Shirley Anderson profile image85
      Shirley Andersonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, ditto.  I'm glad though, as my curiousity would've given the guy another click.

10. Lazur profile image84
    Lazurposted 7 years ago

I had the same thing just a few weeks ago. A hub suddenly flagged as a duplicate.Some guy with a empty profile on hubpages had copied more than one hub from here  on to his own blog on another website. After being in contact with the moderator he had to remove most of his blogs.

11. Shalini Kagal profile image78
    Shalini Kagalposted 7 years ago

Many of them aren't 'thieves' - they just don't know better smile
    A lot of content on the Internet is put up with an unwritten plea: 'Please, please copy me!' I write a lot of articles for ezines for clients - with backlinks to their sites - and everytime one is copied and pasted on a blogger's site, it means another backlink. The trouble is, HubPages is being seen by some webmasters as another ezine or a 'resource centre'.

Maybe Hubpages can have some kind of a tracking system where the date of posting could be verified?

The one advantage about being marked with a 'duplicate content' tag is that you go online to see where it's been copied and pasted - 'tis an ill wind.....' big_smile

1. Lissie profile image86
      Lissieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No sorry they are thieves: just because I leave my car unlocked am I saying - please take it for a joy ride. IF I leave my washing on a communal clothes line am I saying please help yourself?
      On the  other hand if I don't need  some old firewood - I might leave it on averge and say "free please help yourself"

Ezines and other places explicitly synicates content they explicitly state the rules on how you can use that content : and you know at least 50% of my articles there are taken by bloggers and then the resource box with my link removed - they are thieves too.

So no content is not put up with a plea "copy me" - its put up with a plea of "link to me" for sure and anyone can link to anything of mine without further permission. But copy me I will very,very pissed off - unless you leave a link to my site and then that's fine.