What types of RSS feeds are appropriate for hub pages?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (59 posts)
  1. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 12 years ago

I'm trying to understand RSS feeds.  I think the capsule is a reader that aggreates feeds from other websites, but I'm not sure

1. marriedwithdebt profile image77
      marriedwithdebtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are correct about what it is, except it usually aggregates from one site. You can put your own RSS feed at the bottom, which will constantly update your Hubs to link to your Best, or Latest.

As for your main question, what feeds are appropriate, I would actually like to know the answer myself. I had a Hub mistakenly marked "Duplicate" by a bug in the Hubpages checker program, and when staff reviewed my Hub manually, they said it was fine (except that I should change my links because they were not related to the content of the hub). That's because I was displaying an RSS Feed of my newest Hubs. I changed it, but am still curious.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It wasn't a mistake, and I'm surprised the moderator didn't explain it better.

You are not allowed to link to unrelated sites, and that includes links to unrelated Hubs, whether by you or anyone else.  A "Latest", "Hot" or "Best" RSS feed will get your Hub unpublished.  You can only post a RSS feed to Hubs on the same topic, by adding a tag to the code.

Excuse me, but it was a mistake. Thanks for telling me otherwise, though you are wrong.

I thought I explained this pretty clearly in my text above, but you must have skimmed it before chiming in (I wish people would clearly read what others say before weighing in).

My Hub was only brought to the attention of the staff DUE TO A MISTAKE. The Hub Checker mistakenly marked it duplicate.

When I asked it to be fixed, they said, "Yes, there was a bug, sorry. Oh by the way, we also noticed you had some links that aren't related. Please fix."

Moral of the Story - Before you tell someone they are wrong, make sure they are wrong. I know you have been here for four years, but this is just simple courtesy.

Thanks

I'm sorry you took offence at my statement, I certainly didn't intend it to be taken that way. And in fact, I was saying that the moderator was wrong - not you.

A HubPages RSS feed with long descriptions will trigger the duplicate filter so I understood that the original flagging and the unrelated feed were related. 

I was just trying to make sure you understood that unrelated links are against HubPages TOS so it's important not to use the "Latest" and "Best" feeds or any other unrelated feeds.  Also, you should only use the first sentence (I don't know why they allow longer descriptions at all, to be honest).  I thought that information might be helpful to you, that's all.

No hard feelings smile

I realize you have the best intentions. Just goes to show how hard it can be to communicate on a human level through typed words on a screen.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

The RSS Feed is solely dedicated to HubPages. It's broken down into 3 different lists- "hot" "best" and "latest".

The only appropriate use is to ensure that they Hubs it pulls are relevant to the content of your hub. So set up an RSS Feed that is related to a specific group of hubs of your own and do it by a generic tag each would have in a group.

So, that means if you have a group of hubs on "health" then that would be the tag you use. If you have a set of hubs on "politics" then you would use that to feed relevant content to your RSS feed.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil is right.

For more clarifications about RSS you can read these hubs by edweirdo

http://edweirdo.hubpages.com/hub/What-i … -rss-feeds

and this hub :

http://edweirdo.hubpages.com/hub/Promot … -RSS-Feeds specifically the sub topic : Using Tags To Create Custom RSS Feeds

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

My advice to you is to just not use the RSS Feed capsule.  It was a GREAT idea to use years ago, but it's not relevant any more.

You could say that the entire idea of the RSS Feed capsule was deviant to begin with - as you publish new hubs, it changes the Feed content, thus making every hub with the RSS capsule "fresh content."

Google frowned upon these shenanigans!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6024543_f248.jpg

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Untrue as long as the RSS Feeds are used based on an individual "tag" that is associated with relevant content.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe, maybe not - but I can report with absolute certainty that since I ditched the RSS Feed capsules, my Google sandbox or slap went away, and my traffic has increased steadily along with my earnings.

I'm not going back!!!!

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And you don't have to go back Wesman. It was the "way" people were using them that got lots of people into trouble. wink

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
            Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I write about too many different types of topics to use the RSS Feed successfully.

I hear that you can customize them topic wise - but I'm not going to bother with that.  Even with my never ending acoustic guitar/product hubs - I think it's better and not much trouble to just add link capsules for the most relevant hubs to something.

Having guitars, wildlife, and new age philosophy and firearms hubs all in one RSS Feed is (now) obviously a bad idea.

In other words - if all your hubs really are related topic wise - then by all means, maybe the RSS Feed capsule is right for you!

4. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

I customize RSS with tags (similar topics) across my accounts and it is successful so far when I look at referral views.

1. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

As discussed previously one major problem with RSS capsules is the summary text can cause duplication issues. The text is copied from the original article. If you have 5-10 summaries in your RSS feed, that's 5-10 copied sentences that appear in the article that Google will see as copied text. Repeat on many hubs and that is a lot of copied text. The risk of a duplication penalty is increase if your articles are short. Google tracks the overall duplication percentage in you subdomain and acts using a threshold.

It is better to simply use the titles as links without the summary text. What you can do is copy all the titles as links from your account page into Excel and then apply filters to select related articles. This provides a list of links that can be added to a Hub.

Otherwise you can use the RSS capsule to generate the list, remove the summaries and paste the links into a text capsule. I would suggest not using the RSS capsule.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use up to three hubs with the first sentence option. Thanks for your concern/advice!

5. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

The duplicate content issue with RSS feeds doesn't make them totally unsafe to use. It just means that RSS feeds shouldn't be a large chunk of the total content on the page. 

For example, I just wrote an article that's several pages long, with original text, photos, and links related to an 18th century sailing ship.  I included an RSS feed from the ship's official website giving news bulletins about where it is and what it's up to. I used the capsule's settings to display shortened summaries rather than everything from their RSS firehose, and I kept that capsule down to 4 entries. It's only a small portion of the whole hub, so it's not going to drown out my original content.

Most major websites have an RSS feed somewhere on their homepage, giving news updates or bulletins. There's one on Hubpages.com. That doesn't hurt it, as long as it's relevant to Hubpages and useful to its readers.

In fact, as Google continues to include more social media factors in its search results, some pages with RSS feeds will outrank than those that don't. Why?

Here's an example. Fan page A and Fan page B about a rock band are basically the same: blabbing about their music, quick profiles of the musicians, some photos. The only substantial difference between the two fan pages is that B includes the band's RSS feed showing where they're playing right now. The RSS feed actually makes fan page B more topic-relevant, which should boost its raw SEO, and, more importantly, that makes it more useful to visitors. It's more likely to get likes, bookmarks, Google+ votes, etc. So the RSS feed is likely to give it the edge.

1. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it depends on the percentage.
      I noticed that about 20% of the hub you mention is derived from RSS.
      Also a check on copyscape.com shows a lot of this text is identified as 'duplicate' and is published on other websites.
      As for many things it is a trade-off. I personally don't want any duplicate text in my hubs. But I can see the merits of the points you have made.

6. peoplepower73 profile image90

First off, thanks for all of your comments. I'm new to hub pages and I have published seven  hubs.  I catagorized them into two groups.  I created a group for Politics and one for Self-Improvement.  Now how do I apply RSS to these two groups? It seems to me that the capsule only contains the reader, not the transmitter or whatever it is called...Thanks for everybody's help.

Here are the complete instructions:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubb … c-rss-feed

It doesn't work by group, it works by tag.  So you need to add the same tag to each of the Hubs you want to include in the feed.

Set the maximum number to 8, and choose "first sentence only" to minimise the duplicate content issues mentioned above.

7. peoplepower73 profile image90

O.K. I think I got it figured out.  There are two types of feeds: one is from the a website where you want to feed information into one of your hubs by subscribing to that feed.  The other  type is where someone wants to subscribe to your hub for the purpose of updates on your hub.

I have a hub on reading nutrition labels.  So I went to the FDA site for food safety and subscribed to their feed. I then copied the feed URL. I addes a RSS capsule to my hub on nutrition labels and copied the URL into it. and boom I received updates from the FDA.

Now for the second type, if someone wants to subscribe to my hub, all they have to do is go to my profile, click on subscibe to my hub and copy the URL into their capsule and they will start receiving my feeds. But is that really necesary if you are already following that hub?

Please correct me on any part of this if I'm wrong.

You can't subscribe to an individual Hub.  You can only subscribe to the comments.  There is no way for people to be notified when a Hub has been updated.  When someone subscribes to your feed from your profile, they are notified when you write a new Hub - not when you update existing ones.

There is a good reason for that, because Hubs are intended to be evergreen articles, which are complete when they are published, and only need updating when something changes.   They're not like blogs where you are constantly adding new information.

The reason for adding a "related Hubs" RSS feed to your Hub is simply to display a list of other Hubs your readers may like.

8. peoplepower73 profile image90

O.K. That all makes sense, but am I allowed to subscribe to an RSS feed from a website outside of Hub Pages and use the RSS capsule to bring the feed into one of my hubs, Like I did with the FDA feed to my Nutrition Label hub? Because I published it with the changes and it seems to be without violations.

Yes, definitely.   Provided the outside website is on a subject that's relevant.

peoplepower73posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marisa:  I created a hub page on RSS Feeds.  Please let me know what you think of it and if I have missed anything. 
        Thank you

Two points:

You talk about "subscribing" to a feed, but you're not really talking about subscribing (which is the individual receiving updates on their email) - you're talking about displaying a feed on your Hub.  I think you need to make that clearer earlier in the Hub.

2.  You say "be careful to not get a feed that is very close to your hub page topic"

I assume the "not" is a typo!  I would restate this more strongly, e.g. "note that you must only display one RSS feed and it must be related to your Hub topic, otherwise ...."

In point 1, I'm just talking about subscriptions as they apply to Hub Pages, not about generic subscriptions to email.

In point 2.  I mean get a feed that is related to your hub topic but not so close that it can be taken down for duplication violations.

I will rewrite point 2.

I notice you include links to your hub pages in your comments.  Can I do that as well or do I have to have some kind of special privilege?

I'd be interested to see what others think, but to me, only a human being can "subscribe" to a RSS feed.   When you place a RSS capsule on a Hub, you are "displaying" a feed, or "including" a feed.  You'll notice these are the words used in the Learning Centre.  I found the use of the word 'subscribe' in a Hub confusing.

I'm not clear how that could ever happen?  Duplication violations happen when you repeat, word-for-word, text that appears on another website or Hub.  It has nothing to do with how closely related your topic is.  So for instance, if I write a Hub about pointe shoe fitting, a RSS feed from a website about pointe shoe fitting would be fine - in fact, it would be preferable to a website about ballet in general.

Yes you can do that as well, no special privileges needed!  Provided you only do it when it answers someone's comment.

9. peoplepower73 profile image90

Yes the hub is about How to Read Nutrition Labels and the feed from the FDA is about food products that are under investigation and their status.  So I think they are related and useful. Marisa,   thank you so much for your help.  I think we have all the bases covered.  I think I might do a hub about RSS feeds with illustrations. There really are two parts to RSS feeds and I haven't found any information that describes both parts in one article.  There are also a lot of misconceptions out there.

10. M A Williams profile image77
    M A Williamsposted 12 years ago

I recently had some violation issues with one of my hubs that I eventually traced back to my rss feed through trial and error. As a matter of course I put an rss feed to my latest hubs and didn't think much of it - I actually thought hubpages would see it as a positive. I thought it was a little harsh to unpublish my hub because most of what I write is semi-related anyway and therefore so was the rss feed, but now that I know how seriously it is being taken now I can act accordingly.

It's relatively easy to make a tag-specific rss feed so I will be sure to do that from now on.

11. Bill Yovino profile image88
    Bill Yovinoposted 12 years ago

Can someone show a link to a hub that successfully and legally (Hubpages-wise) uses RSS? If it's not OK to show the link here, can you send it to me privately?

It will probably get snipped, but I use a RSS feed on most of my dance Hubs.  Here's one:

http://marisawright.hubpages.com/hub/Be … cing-Sword

It's above the comments and entitled "More Hubs on Belly Dance".  I used my own RSS feed with a tag to create it.

You can also use a RSS feed from your blog or website, but note you can't then have any links to the same blog/website in your text. The "overly promotional" rule says you're allowed two links to one domain, OR one RSS feed.

1. Bill Yovino profile image88
        Bill Yovinoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

12. Bill Yovino profile image88
    Bill Yovinoposted 12 years ago

Very interesting reading.  I've been using text capsules to link to my related hubs. It's more work than an RSS capsule, but it gives you far more control over what's included. For example, if I add an RSS capsule with a certain tag to a hub, that hub will be included in the list as well...a link to itself. That seems kind of unprofessional to me, plus all of the related hubs will show the same exact list, in the same order.

I only have around 50 hubs, so it's manageable at this point. It would be great if the RSS capsule had some additional functionality like "Exclude" and "Order by".

1. FREEWORKING profile image59
      FREEWORKINGposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rss feed makes a big role in giving the link of the readers to other hubs. But not only to latest/hot/best link. One can guide the readers to read on the related topic which will work tags. Like if one rss feeds is
      http://www.hubpages.com/author/ABC/latest/?rss, he can change this feed according to tags like
      http://www.hubpages.com/author/ABC/america/latest/?rss

Bill, using text capsules instead of the RSS feeds is a good idea for the reason you mention, and also because it means you can write a unique short description for each Hub.

2. alphagirl profile image76
      alphagirlposted 12 years ago

whoa! I read all these popsts and I don't use rss feeds. You have to be a nich writer and or have 10 hubs to use a feed. It makes no sense to do otherwise.
      I like the idea of using the rss feed and feeding it back to your hub. I do use rss feeds.

I found that you can use RSS feeds to subscribe to information from websites outside of hub pages to your hub page or a related hub page to your hub page.  See  http://hubpages.com/t/2cc254

3. peoplepower73 profile image90

Marisa: I answered your comments by copying them and then putting them in quotes:

"I'd be interested to see what others think, but to me, only a human being can "subscribe" to a RSS feed.   When you place a RSS capsule on a Hub, you are "displaying" a feed, or "including" a feed.  You'll notice these are the words used in the Learning Centre.  I found the use of the word 'subscribe' in a Hub confusing."

That's why they call it Really Simple Syndication (RSS).  Because when you subscribe to a newspaper or magazine, you are subscribing to the products of syndication.  The capsule is the reader for those syndicated items that you are subscribing too. When you go to the feed page, it has a button that says "Subscribe to this Feed."  When you click on that, and copy the URL to your capsule, your capsule is subscribing  to the feed items on that website, even as they change.  I think it's a matter of semantics, but it is a convention that has been established.

"I'm not clear how that could ever happen?  Duplication violations happen when you repeat, word-for-word, text that appears on another website or Hub.  It has nothing to do with how closely related your topic is.  So for instance, if I write a Hub about pointe shoe fitting, a RSS feed from a website about pointe shoe fitting would be fine - in fact, it would be preferable to a website about ballet in general."

I may be paranoid because I had one of my hubs taken down for duplication.  My thinking is if you get RSS feed items that are very close to the wording of your hub, they may take it down.  I don't know what the criteria is for duplication, do you?

Thanks for your feedback

Yes, I know it's called RSS and that the S stands for subscription.  What I'm trying to say is that when you add a RSS feed to your Hub you do not subscribe to it.  You merely display it.  Therefore it's important to use a different word, to distinguish between the act of subscription (which sends updates to you) and displaying (which passively displays it on a site somewhere).  That convention has been established on HubPages - search the Learning Centre, Help and other Hubs written on RSS feeds and you'll see what I mean.  If you do some Googling about how to display or use RSS feeds on your own blog or website, you'll see the same distinction being made there too.

Duplication - you seem to suggest that if you write a Hub on a topic, then include a RSS feed which covers the same topic, there is some problem with duplication within the Hub - which is not the case.  In fact, HubPages says that if you use a RSS feed, it must be on the same topic as your Hub.

The only prohibition on duplication is if you copy, word for word, text that already appears on another site.  So for instance, if you quote a large chunk of Shakespeare, you would trip the filter.

If you add a RSS feed, set it to a high number and include a full description, the total number of words can become quite high and could trigger the filter - that's why it's recommended to use the first sentence only.

O.K.  How about this:  Humans subscribe to syndicated news feeds  The RSS capsule acts as the news feed reader( aggregator) and displays news feeds as they are updated,

If this is correct, it may require that I change my hub to correspond to this. concept.  But then, this is all part of the learning curve for me.

Personally, I think you're over-complicating it, but if that wording makes you happy, I think it is clearer. 

I would still take issue with the word "news", because most RSS feeds are feeds of new blog posts, not feeds of news items, but maybe it's my turn to be pedantic!

I do appreciate it's a learning curve, I hope this discussion is helping!

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Listen folks, if they are banning people for too many grammar or spelling errors, then I really do wonder about this site sometimes....and it's become obvious that they add up those "hey, we've unpublished you're hub giving you an opportunity to fix it, have a look at this bullshit that we think is good....."

So be careful with the feeds, eventually someone will get banned for one too many automated "we've unpublished your hub for unrelated links"

5. peoplepower73 profile image90

After doing research, I found that is the way most descriptions of RSS are expressed as news feeds. That's because that was the original intention by netscape when it first developed RSS was to present news feeds to its users.

You have to understand,  I was a technical writer for 30 years and online course developer for my last 10 years before I retired.  I have a heavy technical background and see computers and their functions as the way  people function. That is one way students learn by associating human functions to computer functions.

As far a s being Pendantic, what this all boils down to is has the objective been met to enable the student to  implement an RSS feed in hub pages?

This discussion is keeping me honest and accurate.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One day about 6 weeks ago, I woke up to large gaps in my hubs, and RSS feeds were taken off about 100 of them without warning. I did have the description set long, so made them "first sentence only", to avoid duplicate wording. I checked to make sure they were relevant to the hub, but I write metaphysical stuff, and it's vague sometimes as to what belongs there and what doesn't. It took me almost all day. So far they have left my hubs alone, but I think it was a crappy thing to do to somebody. I'm getting really sick of changing things I wrote a year ago. One thing about the RSS feeds, if you use tags, you can bring attention to your older work that new hubbers may not have seen.

Something very strange happened, then.  I've never heard of moderators actually editing Hubs for you - which is what they'd have to do, to remove your RSS feeds.   I have had situations where my RSS feeds stopped working, but it was either a temporary software glitch, or the website I'd taken it from had done something.

It sounds like it was just as well since the long description could have got you into trouble.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

...and that's exactly why I had an issue with the use of the word "subscribe", because to me, it meant me signing up to receive updates, not passively displaying the results on a Hub. 

As I read your Hub, I thought you were telling me I had to subscribe to the feed first, before displaying it in my Hub.  On re-reading I realised you didn't say that, but the word "subscribe" set me on the wrong track.  If I got that misconception, knowing how the RSS capsule works, then I felt a newbie would be even more likely to be confused.

As for calling them news feeds - I don't think it matters what they were originally called, what matters is what they are now. Some people are trying to change the name to webfeeds, to get away from the association with news. I did a quick Google on what RSS is and I didn't see many references in recent documents calling them news feeds.

Marisa:  I reviewed my entire hub page and I have to ask you, did you look at the videos? Because to me,  they make everything perfectly clear in terms of terminology and procedure to set up RSS feeds to hub pages. It appears to me that you are making comments that a person would make if they had not viewed the videos.

I think we're talking at cross purposes now.

I'm simply saying that in the early paragraphs (before the first video) your use of the word "subscribe" is confusing.

It seems to me that even if the videos explain everything well, having an introduction that isn't clear is not a good idea.

O.K I'm new to hub pages (two months, 8 published hubs). I believe the videos can stand by themselves.   The reason I put the overview text in is because I thought the moderators would not publish it, if it did not have enough text.

When I first started hub pages, I did a hub with a video and one short paragraph to introduce it. it was not published because there was not enough text.   Can I just introduce the videos with some minimal text and let the videos stand by themselves?

It's simple enough for me to change the text, but I'm trying to learn what the moderators are looking for.  You seem to be a good source for that kind of infromation.  How much text is enough text?

It's a hard one.  HubPages is not Youtube so I can see why they require explanatory text to go with the video.   I don't think you need 400 words but I'd guess you would need around 200.

Bear in mind that even if a Hub is unpublished for some reason, you can always revise it and resubmit it, so it's not the end of the world. So there's no harm in trying.

Bottom line is, I find your use of the word 'subscribe' in the introduction (instead of 'display') confusing.  That's my opinion - if you disagree, that's your privilege.

Thank you.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
      LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

Peoplepower:  Hubs are to contain at least 400 words.  Posting a hub with a paragraph and video will get you unpublished everytime.   If all you want to do is post a video, the site for that is You Tube.

Thank you Linda.  That's good to know.

2. rochelj profile image58
        rocheljposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Linda, I appreciate what you are writing, however, I think that the above statement is not accurate.

if you look at Paul Edmondson's hub on how to knit with your fingers, you will see a hub with less than 100 words of text, and then a you tube video explaining it, followed by pictures.

http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/hub/H … ur-Fingers

I would think that we can model our hubs based on this, since he is the founder and CEO of HubPages.

http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/

3. rochelj profile image58
        rocheljposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There definitely needs to be content, but where does it say that it must contain 400 words?

I think 250-300 words would also be accepted by hubpages( possibly even less), although a 400 word minimum (or more words, when useful) is better for Search Engine Optimization, which if done correctly, will lead to more traffic and hopefully more earning potential.

http://hubpages.com/question/145528/wha … swer393685

7. LindaSmith1 profile image61
      LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

As a CEO he can do as he pleases.   But a video with no content, oh well take your chances.

In reference to what are the minimum number of words for a hub page?  I just started a new hub and I noticed this warning on the right side of the screen. "WARNING: This Hub is at risk of being identified as Substandard."

As I continued to add content, the warning went away.  I did not get a word count because I wasn't really looking for it.  But that might be the indicator to tell that you have written the minimum number of words...try it.

I was able to publish my hub that introduces a video on stock market technical analysis with 217 words.   I also learned that when you add books to an amazon capsule, it will only allow you to list so many books based on the size of the content.  There must be an algorithm that checks that and gives you a warning if it is exceeded.  Check out my hub at  *link snipped*

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)