jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Stop voting down feature on answers

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 4 years ago

I'm new here, but people seem to be using the voting down option excessively and inappropriately. I would like to see HubPages eliminate this option.

1. Sally's Trove profile image98
      Sally's Troveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'd like to add that there's no point in flagging a question because your answer to that question (or all answers to that question, for that matter) has been voted down. A vote on an answer only addresses the one who writes the answer, while flagging the question is a potential negative reflection on the one who writes the question.

I know it smarts to have an answer voted down, especially when you know you are responding with useful and valid information, but never take it personally. Some people live on negative energy and sometimes that energy plays itself out just this way.

Dubuquedogtrainerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Point well taken, Sally. I do believe the negative energy will come back around to the ones who initiate it. We who try to live on a higher plane should not be distracted by those who would love to pull us down to their sorry state.

1. Sally's Trove profile image98
          Sally's Troveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I couldn't agree with you more. To allow ourselves to be distracted in this way is to give up our own personal, positive power.

2. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 4 years ago in reply to this

i love the option myself. i use it often and i completely agree with having it. to me it's like a little freedom of choice and trust me, a lot of my answers get voted down.

Dubuquedogtrainerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Why? That seems rather negative. From my perspective as a positive reinforcement animal trainer and professional educator I find it more polite as well as effective to usually ignore answers I do not like. The rules state that the reason to vote an answer down is because it does not contribute to the discussion, not because one has a need to put someone else down, show disapproval or attempt to invalidate someone's honest answer.

1. nightwork4 profile image60
          nightwork4posted 4 years ago in reply to this

i completely disagree. being positive is great but that's like being politically correct, it gets the person no where. i would rather have someone disagree with me then ignore what i'm saying or vote me up because it's the right thing to do.voting the answer down contributes more then voting up, it creates reason's to write hubs to justify your opinion.

2. maxravi profile image1
    maxraviposted 4 years ago

I don't think remove this option is appropriate.Even I faced this issue sometime, but don't worry there are some people who are doing it not all.and by the way we need this option to genuinely vote down some answers.If you find it often with you with any particular user , report it to admin.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

The vote down button has its uses. I know some people abuse it but it doesn't hurt you in any way. I have used it when people give completely wrong advice.

We all have had innocuous answers voted down for no reason at all. It's just the way it is smile

4. Disappearinghead profile image88
    Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago

I vote down if I think the author is talking rubbish. That's what the button is there for. hmm

working