jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

How many words required in a hub?

1. 60
    Andrea29posted 4 years ago

How many words is required to publish a hub.  Is it okay to write 150 word hubs and will they get ranked for low search volume keywords?

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

A 150 word hub isn't a hub article. That's about the size of a comment post on a forum thread or a comment left on a hub article.

I wouldn't expect it to rank anywhere on any search engine with only 150 words.

3. 60

ok, thanks I suppose they would require 250 - 300 words.

1. Cagsil profile image84
      Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Don't assume the requirement is 250-300 words either.

As far as I know, 400 would be the absolute minimum for anything that isn't a poem/poetry.

The average quality page, depends on the topic and how much information you want to give your reader. I would suggest writing articles that are 700 minimum and 2500-3500 words at most.

Just remember, the average reader is going to have a short attention span for reading online articles, so make sure your page is nicely grouped in paragraphs which are not extremely long.

2. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

At the very minimum.

Successful articles on Hubpages would have to exceptional and unique to garner any amount of views from so few words.

Ideally your hub should read like a magazine article, with as much information as possible.

The more information you add, the more words, the more chances you will have of being successful, as you will have more ways to describe what you are writing about and use more keyword terms that searchers can find your hub with.

I would say aim for a minimum of 700 words, a lot more if possible.

4. 60

Thanks, so which is the best of the following ideas?  Creating a shorter hub to target a single keyword that gets 100 searches per month or create a hub of 700 words to target four or five keywords in the same hub?

1. IzzyM profile image86

The latter, without a doubt.

1. 60
        Andrea29posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I'm a little confused about how to target all the four long tail keywords in a single article.  Would I choose one phrase for the article title and the other long tail keywords as subtitles in the article?

1. IzzyM profile image86

More or less.

Don't forget too that every single word you write is a keyword. So you might hit on a searched for keyword phrase, or you might miss that target and hit another keyword phrase.

But the more words you put in a hub, the more chances you have of hitting the spot.

Just be very careful that your main keywords never get overused. That's the trick in this game (I am still learning myself) - use synonyms where possible, the more the merrier, because those help Google, which uses a computer algorithm and not a real person, to understand what your hub is about.

Get the balance right, and Google will send you the correct traffic. HP is very powerful platform, don't forget.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

I'd aim between 500 and 1500.