Listen to your father, son :) "W" in German is in fact "V" :
- BMW is pronounced "BAY-EM-VAY" (everything Rochelle wrote is correct)
- LKW (truck) is prononuced "ELL-KA-VAY"
- WENN (if, whenever) is pronounced "VEN"
Also, "V" is pronounced "FOW."
- VATER (father) is pronounced "FATER"
- VIER (four) is pronounced "FIER"
- and my Italian last name beginning with "V" is pronounced with "FOW" and it's annoying!
Believe me on this one; I'm not a native German, but I live in Germany, speak 5 languages, and hold a degree in linguistics :)
It's nice that Germans make you feel at home :)
And hey, I just remebered, Germans learn English gladly and when they speak English, then of course, they do proununce "W" as the Brits and Americans do (but not in their own language).
You have to tell your Dad I'm on his side LOL