Quoting the bible

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 11 years ago

We know a lot from what others have learn. And from that knowledge one will quote what is said because it identifies with an experience in their life. The world will and do quote different historians,educators, philosophers, and poets of the world.
    It is the same with bible role models that have brought forth different experiences in and to the world that i have identified with in my life that i use as a confirmation to what they have said and done.
    So what i know and quote is from trials and error mix with the bible experiences of what i have learn from those before me. That is why i quote the bible,but experience is still the best teacher.

My question is why are some people is offended by others using quotes from the bible in their conversations? Should they be ask to omit any quotes of the world in what they say and do?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, you should not omit quotes. You are right that great literature and the works of great minds are quoted frequently in discourse. I think the trick is to regulate how often you quote, and how often you quote from one source.

It's usually the case that someone who endlessly quotes from a single source, particularly a religious one, can become irritating. I mean, how annoying would I be if I always had a quote from Shakespeare for everything. Like, literally every time we talked, I'd be cranking out quotes every few minutes. After a while, you'd be sick of me, even if you like Shakespeare.

Now imagine if you didn't like Shakespeare. It would be super annoying.

Then imagine if I tried to convert you to believing that Shakespeare had the answers to everything in his work (which an argument actually could be made for, but I digress).

I think you can see how this would be painful for most people when it came to wanting to hang out with me. I would simply be an annoying Shakespeare disciple and people would avoid me or give me crap all the time.

I believe this is what happens to Christians very often. They go about citing from one source all the time. Filled with love and good intentions (usually), but annoying anyway.

Hopefully this helps you formulate an answer to your question.

Apostle Jackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My brother there are many people in the bible to quote from as there is other wise. It is a matter of choice as to who one believe in. I just happen to know that there are better and more powerful knowledge in the bible than it is in the world.  I witness for God above schools of world education.

2. onegoodwoman profile image69
      onegoodwomanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dear Apostle..........

It can be a dangerous thing to quote a sentiment, just because it sounds, eloquent, fitting or reflects your own experience.

MY experiences are different from your own, and the experiecences of our neighbors..........well, who can better testify than they, themselves.

In MY experience, discussing and contributing on various forums..........others see a danger in "quoting" things that are intended to prove ONE point of view, or lend credence to ONE circumstance.

When Christians speak, we should speak to the masses............not the singular.

In no way, am I asking you to dismiss the facets of yourself........humanity includes all of us.

Often in struggle, I reflect back on the Golden Rule..........................do unto others, as you would have them do unto you..........

a good solid guideline................THIS is the problem...........not all of us want to be dealt with in the same manner.

Some, like you and me, shoot straight to the point.......others need a bit of " getting used to" or time to " come around."

Always, Catcus Jack, ALWAYS speak your truth, but at times, take time to think about who is listening.    Their life experiences might be different from yours................so, would be, the comforting or the damning scripture.

I am pretty tough skinned.............and I admire you.................
      my 20 year old daughter might find you intimidating............and I know in my  heart, that you do  not wish to turn a child of God........away...........lost to the world.

Dear onegoodwoman
        My desire and purpose is to impart knowledge to the spirits of humankind from the Almighty Himself concerning Daniel 12 v 4.
        I have no intentions to offend anyone,but i know it will be so anyway. Sometime it don't matter what you say nor how it is said,some will get offended. These are those that learn after the fact,or slow to learn. But,some do and some don't.It is between themselves and the Almighty God. There is quick sand in the Forrest and pathways of life,and everyone must be told. If we don't tell our children and make sure they know before they go out into the world...they will go out unprepared.
        Sometime you have to use "Tuff Love" for them to see.But you do it because you Love them and care very much about preparations of spirit in life when they meet the big bad wolf therein. It is better for children to know than,not be told. It will help,more than it will hurt.
        Sometimes you can tell someone TOO LATE of what you should have told them already.
        My children are destroyed,for the lack of knowledge...as it is written.

In my life i have found good pathways to walk in the spirit of the Almighty God. Some of my pathways are like other pathways of those before me.
        For me to quote from them is to confirm the life and evidence of what is here in knowledge besides,science,matter and DNA. Like the unseen and the hidden education of our spiritual existence.

It is all about CHANGE, IMAGE, and CONDUCT  of spirit my sister. It is not about..."i think so".....nor, " maybe" ....nor if....and not a theory,but actual occurrences that leave no doubt as to what is put into words from confidence.....by which i so speak.

Some will listen now,..some will listen later,..some will think about it,...some will never listen,....and some will not give it a thought. But if you are told or had the opportunity to be told is what matters.
        Everything that anyone say do will not be accepted my everyone ...no matter what is spoken. But, stick with the ones that solve your problems without causing problems in your life and can ready change your life to a better you.

3. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe there is anything wrong with using biblical quotes, it just truly depends on the person you are speaking too.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Maybe it is because they want to talk to you the person and not the bible. If I want to talk to the bible I have one on my book shelf.

I speak from my experiences of the bible. I just use others in the bible that have had the same experiences.

3. aware profile image65
    awareposted 11 years ago

regurgitation. acquaint yourself with the word.

@aware
      I know before i speak my friend. The knowledge of knowing tells me so. What i live by is evidence by occurrence. You can not put it under a microscope,for it is a SPIRITUAL MATTER.
      My spirit was educated by God and appointed by Him to deliver His words to the spirits of humankind.So therewith my spirit is already acquainted with.

4. Paul Wingert profile image61
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

Why quote a book full of bigotry, discrimination, and just plain obsolete? Can't people think for themselves? My born again idiot cousin bases his anti- same sex marriage ideas based solely on what the Bible says. The Bible says that a rapist can be cleared of his crime if he pays of his victim’s father and agrees to marry her. Of course my cousin is says that wrong. Then I point to a neighbor that is mowing his grass on Sunday and I tell him it's his Chistian duty to kill him. My cousin and people like him are complete f**ktards.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

As long as duplicate content (in this case quotes) are less than 10% of the text you're usually fine. Or use images of the verses.

You don't need to re-invent the wheel. Or re-write the Bible.

6. RednecksForObama profile image60
    RednecksForObamaposted 11 years ago

"We know a lot from what others have learn."

That's where you lost me. Get a better translating program or learn English. Who do you think you are fooling?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)