Reading in Pre-school

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image55
    Bri Lposted 16 years ago

I just thought I would share a link to activities that you can do with your little ones to encourage reading.

http://www.ed.gov/Family/RWN/Activ97/begin.html

2. thecounterpunch profile image60
    thecounterpunchposted 16 years ago

Great smile

And what about making children and even adult really understand what they read ? (as I just wrote an article on Semantics ...)

3. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 16 years ago

Hi Bri, I had a look at the link you posted.  It's great!  My children will enjoy that, one of them is already reading  and writing but your post will help as she is learning to do it in 3 languages at the same time!

4. profile image0
    jooles01posted 16 years ago

There are some great ideas on the site, but I think that reading is something that most children will do naturally and they will do it really well provided you give the right environment and lots of encourangement.

As soon as my son was old enough look at books we spent time looking at them together.  He enjoyed looking at the pictures, then the books with one word on a page.  He started to remember some of the words (even though he couldnt 'read' at the time).

I used to take him for regular visits to the library where we would spend a little time looking at whichever book he picked up and then we went to the cafe for fruitjuice and toast.  They were nice little outings.

I didn't realise he could 'read' until I stopped my car near to a sign - my son shouted from the back seat 'look mum, its Coronation Street).  It was actually Coronation Road on the sign - but I knew he'd recognised the shape of the word Coronation.  I nearly fell off my seat.

The point is that there are different reasons for reading - the big one you have to concentrate on is enjoyment.  That is what I tried to get over to my son at a very early age in the hope that he would then be able to read to discover many things for himself.  He's now 12 and he loves reading (on and off - depending on the attitude of the day if you know what I mean).

Let children see you reading, share your reading with them.  you don't have to spend lots of time and money on it - you dont have to make a big deal out of it.  Don't worry about reading to understand - it will come naturally. The vast majority will be reading the things you don't want them to read before you even know it!  That's when you should start to worry!

5. mingoville profile image54
    mingovilleposted 15 years ago

Bri thanks for sharing such helpful link, it is indeed important to develop kids listening ability so that the words they hear from their parents or teacher, kids can understand and repeat it... Also this site http://www.mingoville.com has a lot of activities that relate to your link, you can explore that site and hopefully it can help...

6. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

In my opinion it is more important to watch the actions and to listen the words rather than reading a text.In early age children develope their sensory mortars. They follow anything and everything. It is important to show them right kind of things to follow. What they learn now will be an asset for them life long.

7. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Young children should read a little bit I think, but no more then 20 mins a time and not more then an hour a day.

8. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Reading habits should be introduced only after the age of 5, not before that. Child psychologists suggest.

1. thranax profile image73
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

True, but very light reading before age 5 seems to be good.

9. nikkiu profile image61
    nikkiuposted 15 years ago

I am all for teaching your child to read when they show that they are ready to do so. The danger is that many parents don't know how to do it properly and teach incorrect or unhelpful strategies that become bad habits and hinder progress.

I produced a book called Teach Your Toddler to Read! but it's currently out of print. Must get round to ordering more in or making it into an ebook I think!

10. SparklingJewel profile image65
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

The Spalding Phonics reading system is good. Children can learn to read  very young first memorizing phonics, then learning to put the sounds together through visual and auditory memory practice.

I actually showed my youngest son flash (oversized) cards of the beginning phonics as an infant, pronouncing the phonic sound and showing him the card at the same time. It appeared he learned to read before he could talk, because he was reading beginning words by the time he could talk.

I also made it a habit to sit and read simple worded books to him, with simple pictures, so he could get a sense of the habit of reading for enjoyment and learning very young, 3 months and on. attention time varied, but they really do pick up a lot more information from all aspects of life than most people think.

Montessori's idea that children have an "absorbent mind" and are actually at their height of taking in information in the first three years of life was proven to me from my practices with my son.

But I also  think children are individuals and need different types of input at different times. They are different according to their forming in the womb and their life and family environment once born.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)