jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

law citations advice

1. girly_girl09 profile image80
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

I am a legal studies student and as such, write my fair share of case briefs. Love doing briefs, HATE citations. They are obviously a necessary evil.

To all of you lawyers and law students out there - how did you learn efficient citation skills? Do you have any Microsoft Office clipboard tricks up your sleeves?

I'm taking a legal writing course next semester which I know will help. Until then, I just hate spending so much time figuring out where parentheses and commas go. I know with practice I will become more efficient, but UGH! big_smile

Anyways, just felt I had to rant as I just spent an entire hour reviewing my sloppy formatting on a relatively simple project!

1. SettleEstateLI profile image59
      SettleEstateLIposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You need to put together the citation of all citations in one word document.  When you save it make sure to save it as a template.  When you need to make a new citation, then you can open Word and select New->From Template.  Then select your "Citation" template and the formatting will be as you expect.  If the master document style changes over time, be sure to update your template by saving a newer version as a template again, overwriting the old.

2. Haunty profile image84
    Hauntyposted 6 years ago

Did you know there was a law professor here on hubpages? You should ask him this question. --> Charles James

3. Cyber Lawyer profile image62
    Cyber Lawyerposted 6 years ago

You could of course use the insert footnote/endnote comment in Office.

Or you could separate the writing from the annotation function by doing as follows:
    - Highlight each instance where a citation needs to go
    - Create (record) a new macro that goes like this - "find" / formatting "highlight"
    - Attach a keystroke combination and/or a toolbar button to this macro.

So you have your annotations on a separate sheet, already neatly formatted. Now all you do is run the macro, going from one highlighted instance to the next, inserting the annotations as you go.

To make matters easier, you can record another macro that erases all highlighted text once you are done, namely by choosing "replace all" and then for formatting options choose "highlight" replaced with "no highlight."

Hopefully, this helps.