jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)

Which is the longest real word and why?

1. sunforged profile image63
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

1. Smiles

2. Beleaguered

3. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

1. EmpressFelicity profile image83
      EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

Not as long as your number 3., but quite interesting because it means "fear of long words".  It's a bit of a slap in the face if you happen to suffer from this particular phobia and find that the word to describe it is long enough to actually trigger the phobia in question lol

sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

fun!

any thoughts as to how the 3 relate and which is the longest?

2. climberjames profile image59
    climberjamesposted 6 years ago

llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

"This Welsh town actually exists and its name translates as - The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave"

smile

3. sunforged profile image63

by Real, I should have defined as dictionary recognized. Your place name is real (although is often abbreviated) but not dictionary recognized.

But with some explanation, the obvious may not be the best.

4. Sufidreamer profile image82
    Sufidreamerposted 6 years ago

λοπαδοτεμαχοσελαχογαλεοκρανιολειψανοδριμυποτριμματοσιλφιοκαρα-βομελιτοκατακεχυμενοκιχλεπικοσσυφοφαττοπεριστεραλεκτρυονοπτοκεφαλλιο-κιγκλοπελειολαγῳοσιραιοβαφητραγανο πτερύγων

lopadotemakhoselakhogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphiokarabomelitokata-
    kekhumenokikhlepikossuphophattoperisteralektruonopto-kephalliokinklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetrganopterugon

smile

The Greek entry, a name for a food dish in in of Aristophanes' comedies.

I knew that off by heart and didn't look it up on Google - honest big_smile

5. waynet profile image46
    waynetposted 6 years ago

Possibly not in the dictionary, but it's a chemical name for Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Dahlemense Strain.

ACETYL­SERYL­TYROSYL­SERYL­ISO­LEUCYL­THREONYL­SERYL­PROLYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­VALYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­SERYL­SERYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­VALYL­CYSTEINYL­THREONYL­SERYL­SERYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMINYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ALANYL­ARGINYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­LYSYL­PROLYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLYCYL­ASPARTYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­LYSYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­ARGINYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­ALANYL­VALYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­LEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ASPARAGINYL­ARGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­VALYL­GLUTAMYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­PROLYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­THREONYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ARGINYL­VALYL­ASPARTYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ALANYL­ISOLEUCYL­ARGINYL­SERYL­ALANYL­ASPARAGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ASPARAGINYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­SERYL­METHIONYL­SERYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­THREONYL­SERYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­ALANYL­SERINE

1. starme77 profile image86
      starme77posted 6 years ago in reply to this

what the hell? lol

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image79
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

HAHAHAHAH awesome, lets just hope it doesn't spread like swine flu big_smile

1. waynet profile image46
        waynetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think by the time the doctor has diagnosed it and is saying what it is you may die of boredom before the last syllable.

1. luvpassion profile image60
          luvpassionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

See I told my fellow scrabble players it was a real word.

lol

1. waynet profile image46
            waynetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hahahaha must have some serious amount of scrabble tabs to spell it out!!!! lol!

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image79
              Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

not to mention 8 by 8 boards lol

6. sunforged profile image63

so my 3 choices are irrelevant to the puzzle?

1. Sufidreamer profile image82
      Sufidreamerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Beleaguered - it has 3 miles between the beginning and the end big_smile

sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

ding ding ding - I knew this was a writers site!

2. 0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

nice sufi!! smile

7. starme77 profile image86
    starme77posted 6 years ago

I think it's anti-dis-establishment-arianism (without the hyphens ) and I hope I spelt it right - because it is long and because it is a word that means well... something... I can't remember right now  ( maybe I'll look it up  tomorrow  )

8. waynet profile image46
    waynetposted 6 years ago

I'll get my coat!

9. Tom Cornett profile image54
    Tom Cornettposted 6 years ago

Infinity   smile

1. starme77 profile image86
      starme77posted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol lol that would be it smile

10. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

It's pergatory sad