jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

"Those Who Can't Do, Teach"

1. Freeway Flyer profile image86
    Freeway Flyerposted 6 years ago

What is your opinion of this famous phrase? On the one hand, I find it offensive because it is based on the assumption that teaching is not an activity in its own right. As someone who has taught for many years, I have learned through sometimes painful experience that my job requires a great deal of skill. Still, given the poor quality of some teachers, I can understand where the statement is coming from. I also agree that in many fields - literature, art, etc. - it is easier to talk about doing something than actually doing it successfully. And when someone teaches badly, it can be difficult to prove or measure how poor their performance has been.

1. thooghun profile image87
      thooghunposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am of the opinion that in many cases teaching IS doing.

2. LaMamaLoli profile image72
      LaMamaLoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

completely disagree with that statement, and actually lots of teachers I know actually worked in their chosen fields, before choosing to share their experience and teach others.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I've never heard that. 

it may have been lost in translation. I have heard the phrase, those who can, do, and those who can't, teach.

it would be nice to know the context. it is both true and false.

1. Freeway Flyer profile image86
      Freeway Flyerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I was paraphrasing (squishing the two statements together.)

3. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

It's not a fair statement, and it isn't true much of the time.  Still, I think it's true in a lot of instances.  Nothing that ever implies a blanket statement is ever accurate.

4. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

Naw, it doesn't hold any merit.  First, as earlier stated, there are plenty of people who worked the field and then turned to teaching; second, not everyone has the ability to teach. Just because they may have a teaching degree and a classroom doesn't mean that their methods and skill of imparting information is there. 

Like parenthood-just because you have a child doesn't make you an effective parent.

Teaching is an honorable profession that does not get the pay or recognition that it deserves, for the stress and difficulties of the job.