Do We Teach about 'God' in Schools?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (99 posts)
  1. God shet profile image60
    God shetposted 9 years ago

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

~ Thomas Jefferson [The Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776]

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11887412_f520.jpg

I do not know of a single person who had the fortune to be taught in school that God exists and that this 'thing' (God) deserves attention. It has always remained to me one of those little mysteries of life whose answers can not be found very easily. I have always contented myself with the fact that human cultures are capable of demonstrating incredible examples of interesting hypocrisies.

Seriously speaking, I feel that it is hypocritical not to instruct our children about God ~ if we really feel (and think) that 'God' is a reality of some sort ~ and that 'It' really exists and this is the 'thing' whom they would have to meet again, once their life expires somewhere less than a century afterwards.

If you think about it this way:  Children starting school this year ~ would not exist in 2114. They would all be in the company of 'God' in the spiritual dimension. If this is all true ~ then it becomes an urgent necessity that we give them that information right now and help them prepare their life accordingly.

The most 'working' (valid) reason that people provide for the phenomenon (of not teaching about God in schools) ~ is this: that 'God' is something which has not yet been proven in such a way that everyone can accept Its existence wholeheartedly, with full assurance, and doubtlessly.

Where is the scientist who has won a Nobel Prize by discovering 'the adobe of God' ~ telling us how God spends His day and what He loves to do during the hot summer afternoons?

But then ~ there are many other such 'things' ~ like God ~ that we teach in schools which have never been shown to exist. Who has witnessed with his/her own eyes one species transforming into another? Who have seen that a bacterium somehow managed itself to become the human being who is writing this now? You might argue that we teach 'evolution' not as a fact but as a theory. Well, we can do the same thing about God and elaborate to young children worldwide why God is such a valid possibility as 'evolution'. But right now, we do not. There is a very subtle discrimination among teachers and educators to make 'evolution' the most obvious reason behind the origin of life on earth ~ while subconsciously discrediting 'God' as being a superstitious, unscientific, primitive belief system.

All these could be tolerated had we not credited God so much outside of our schools. Almost every human culture have invested a tremendous amount of faith and activity on and around God. In every culture they have built institutions where we can assemble and connect, in some way or the other, with our Creator. Our presidents mention God whenever they are challenged with adversity. You would find them mentioning 'God' if you investigate every major political speeches ever delivered. Almost every constitution of the world point to the 'Almighty Creator' when they proclaim their 'absolute right' to control the social, and political life of the individuals in their respective societies.

The amount of money invested and the amount of time and effort spent for 'god' is mind-boggling. If you compare the total human activity generated by the idea of 'God' ~ with FIFA World Cup or the Olympics ~ the latter ones seem like a sandcastle compared to a real castle.

And yet, this 'idea' isn't taken as seriously as we consider to let our children know about it so that they might get benefited.

If it isn't hypocrisy, what is it?

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The problem with teaching God in school is we wouldn't know whose God to teach. The best place for the discussion is in the home, if the parents deem it appropriate. I would never support tax payer dollars and valuable school time to be dedicated to teaching about God. I do not want someone I don't know pushing ideas on my child in an environment specifically designed to embed ideas into their impressionable brains.

God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, parents can arrange it so that school-teachers teach about the God that they (parents) feel fits best their child.

1. profile image0

And the taxpayer should foot the bill? At what point do you see that parents should take the responsibility of teaching their children anything? Should we rely on the state to do it all?

Well, the parents (taxpayers) should pay the teachers for the specific God that they (the tax-paying parent) have designated the teachers to teach their children.

There would be no point to dispute if each parent pay for their own God in schools.

1. profile image0
              Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Right, private schools not public school, I personally do not want to be paying for my child's education when the teacher has to meet individually with each child for a half hour to discuss their religion. Imagine a Christian teacher teaching a Muslim student about his faith. Think first.

I'm talking about public school and not private school. And my contention isn't primarily about religion (though that eventually pops up into the picture), but it is about 'the reality of God'.

1. profile image0

"The reality of God" is about religion and nothing else. Would you expect a Baptist to teach an Atheist about Atheism? I think parents are capable of teaching their children what they need to know about religion.

This is really a very silly un-thougtout proposal. Do you really want a teaching teaching things to children he/she doesn't believe themselves? Is she going to teach little Johnny about Hinduism? Should he/she talk to the class openly about God? Little Johnny will be wondering which one he/she is referring to, he has thousands.

Silly.

'the reality of God' and 'religion' are two separate issues.

2. wilderness profile image95
                  wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

About all a teacher could say is that there IS no known "reality of God".  Lots of people THINK there is, but we've never found it, so believe as you wish.

Of course, they could then go into astrology, UFO's, ghosts, Nessie, Bigfoot and all the other quaint beliefs man has come up with over the years.  After all, the kids might meet up with Bigfoot one day...

People do not spend their time and money for Bigfoot.

3. profile image0
                  Motown2Chitownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

With all due respect, there is not one single aspect of public education that would be improved or better served by adding education about "God." The primary problem is that while many may believe there is only one capital "G" god to rule us all, the understanding of who that is or what he does differs literally from person to person. Even if every person was teaching a Christian creator, for example, the variances from denomination to denomination are large enough to create problems, not to mention the huge variances between faith families, such as Judaism and Islam.

To be forced to have my child educated by someone who teaches them differently about God than I would is an affront to me as a parent. I personally would refuse to allow public schools to usurp my parental authority in such a way.

Agreed. But you might get a teacher that you trust or just like his/her talent in that he/she can bring the same God that you yourself have faith in, to your children, and to all of us as a society.

My point is that if we take our God seriously ~ we need to teach about it with full confidence in public, just as we pray in public. That is a sincere system. And it might profit our children in such a way that we are not perceiving it right now.

2. profile image0

A completely ridiculous and unworkable idea. But, thanks for sharing.

The ridicule lies somewhere inside an unnoticed corner of the idea.

1. profile image0

So, are you now showing ridicule for your idea? Are you so easily swayed?

Well, irony isn't always as easily detected as a religious idea.

2. profile image0

The idea the worked when everyone was the same faith.

3. Link10103 profile image62
              Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

....in a public school, your logic borders on insanity.

If you want god to be taught to your child, send them to a private school that supports that. Better yet, get a private tutor or teach them yourself.

I am not entirely sure if you are thinking these things through. With your logic, more time and money is being spent on religious teachings than anything else.

2. profile image0

Perhaps you should think out your thoughts a little first. Do you think we should educated every teacher on how to teach every religion to children as fact individually?

I was taught that the Catholic version of God exist in school and had no reason to feel otherwise. If you want your child taught that a particular version of God exists then you should consider a private school. As it turns out where I live Catholic school are publicly funded, but that will eventually change.

But please put your thinking cap on.

Well, teaching has always been a creative career. And a truly creative person might blank out his/her individual beliefs and preferences in order to meet the criteria of excellence during a creative challenge.

3. Jomine Jose profile image71
          Jomine Joseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is better to teach children why humans believe 'god exists'.

4. Righteous Atheist profile image58
          Righteous Atheistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL

25 different gods to teach about? lol

Who will teach these teachers about all these gods?

Voters might begin with their ministry of education.

1. profile image0

Voters have already spoken here in America. You are in a very small minority.

Then voters lack awareness on this issue ~ among many other 'issues' as well.

1. profile image0

lol lol  Yeh. OK. The blind trying to herd the blind. That's what your argument is boiling down to. Those with the gift of sight should pretend they don't have it.

Well, there are many other subjects where people still have left space for serious disharmony, and possible reconsiderations thereof. You might begin with education, among many of them. It's something very practical.

The disconnection between what we believe to be true and how we live our lives, which should have adequate connection between them.

2. profile image0

No, you mean that voters lack your awareness on the issue, they also lack the muslim awareness of Sharia law, good thing eh?

They have their own set of laws that drive them to spend their resources in a very prominent way.

2. Righteous Atheist profile image58

Really? Lets us hope that never happens. As usual your "ideas" are as useful as they are workable. wink

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So, it's not enough societies continue to indoctrinate their children in churches and at home, you want us to further corrupt their minds in school, too?

And, if it is not true? Then, we've corrupted our children's minds for nothing.

Interestingly enough, you probably don't know this, but schools are places to learn things about the world around us, things that actually exist in our world that everyone can agree.

There is no such scientist because there is no such God.

It would appear you don't understand that evolution occurs over vast periods of time, that is why we cannot witness those changes happening in front of our eyes, they take many millions of years to occur. If you had attended school and learned these things, you probably wouldn't be asking such silly, childish questions.

Evolution is taught as theory and as fact. Had you attended school, you would know this fact.

The only difference is that evolution has massive amounts of hard evidence to support it across a wide range of sciences, God has no evidence whatsoever.

Had you attended school, you would have learned that evolution has nothing to do with our origins, that is another topic altogether. Yes, your religion is indeed a superstitious, unscientific, primitive belief system.

3. cjhunsinger profile image59
      cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your quote, "--by their creator--", seems to be a problem. How do 'they' define their creator and who is their creator is not a definition left left to the state or to you. For the Jew it will be different and too, the Muslim, the Hindu, the Deist, the agnostic and the Atheist. As an Atheist my creator is an evolutionary process that started billions of years ago culminating in the persons of my father and mother.
      Your quest to provide a truth through the manipulation of these great documents does not serve your cause or you well.

"

2. Jaydeus profile image60
    Jaydeusposted 9 years ago

Who's God? Yours or mine, or his, or hers?
    You can't prove the existence of your God, nor prove the non-existence of mine(because you can't prove a negative). Why would we try to teach such logical fallacies to our children who are to inherit the future? Seems detrimental to me.

3. Jaydeus profile image60
    Jaydeusposted 9 years ago

You can provide evidence of evolution, yet the only evidence of God is your lack of understanding a phenomenon. That's not evidence of God.

4. profile image52
    Nigel Morris9posted 9 years ago

But religion is still apart of lifethat the children need to know.

1. Righteous Atheist profile image58

They need to know it is divisive nonsense - yes. wink

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would agree with you.

Children need to know that religions require them to accept from a huge array of beliefs and claims to the supernatural, without critique or question, a limited, personal version sliced wafer thin from that array, to hold important and unequivocally as the ultimate truth above all else, including ones own family members, the very purpose of their existence to reject all forms of fact and information that would jeopardize their religion and the false reality they've sliced out for themselves.

Of course, for an adult to tell a child of such things is very easy, children would be fascinated with such magic and mystery.

The really hard part, though, is to try and teach them anything about the world around them once you've convinced them of following a religion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)