lunar and solar eclipse

1. 61
    luthercropposted 4 years ago

now i know that we as scientist have our experience with science but i have one thing about the eclipse that i have never understood
    scientifically we all know that the earth revolves round the sun and the moon revolves round the earth and more to that is the moon takes 29days or so to complete a revolution round the earth.Now this 29days to us is exactly one month and scientifically talking there is or rather there must be a point[in this 29days]where the moon is between the earth and the sun(solar eclipse) and the same time there is a time when the earth is between the moon and the sun(lunar eclipse).....
    so why don't we have both of this eclipses each and every month that passes by??

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Because the Lunar Orbital plane is not the same as the Ecliptic Plane of the sun, hence eclipses require that the planes not only cross but do so at the time when the moon, earth and sun are aligned.

2. melpor profile image89
    melporposted 4 years ago

Troubled man explained it. It is just a matter of the moon and Earth being in the right position at the right time. This occurs pretty much in a predictable matter. This is why we know when the next lunar or solar eclipse will occur somewhere in the world.