jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What drove you to teach?

1. 0
    TrinityCatposted 4 years ago

What is the inspiration and/or motivation behind your desire to educate your students? What is your meaning of "making a difference"? big_smile

1. TFScientist profile image93
      TFScientistposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I sort of fell into teaching as a stopgap. I needed life experience before moving on from Uni and now I find I love teaching. The interaction, the banter, the results - its great. I am personally responsible for opening a child's eyes to the mysteries of the universe...that is pretty special.

2. Ruthcurley profile image61
    Ruthcurleyposted 4 years ago

Never meant to be a teacher either, but I love it just the same.  I feel like I just might be changing the life of  ONE of my students.

3. YvetteParker profile image82
    YvetteParkerposted 4 years ago

My adopted children were my motivation to enter the teaching profession. My ex and I adopted a sibling group of 3 in 1995 after having a biological son together 7 years prior. It was not until the children were all settled into our home that I immediately noticed how far they lagged behind academically according to their ages and grade levels.

Entering the teaching profession was my way of making a difference in closing the gaps for many children who, like my own children, did not have foundational and fundamental skills to be successful in the classroom.

I began teaching 7th grade and taught it for 3 years and was disheartened by the number of students who had progressed to middle school lacking elementary math skills. I then transferred to 4th grade in an attempt to catch some of these children before they left elementary school unprepared for the road ahead. I enjoyed teaching 4th grade for the next 7 years and know that I imparted into the lives of my students encouragement, support, and confidence, and fundamental math concepts and skills.

I currently tutor students in math(elementary - college). I have a passion for math that was not learned or taught. It is a gift from God that He helped me to develop. I love sharing that gift to help others evelop a love and passion for mathematics,too.

1. 0
      TrinityCatposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your story is inspiring. I bow to your courage. Amazing. smile