jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Do teens have the "right" to know?

1. jdunbar profile image59
    jdunbarposted 7 years ago

My 13 yr old daughter has a friend who's mom is newly divorced and has been dating a guy for about 5 months.  Her friend does not like her moms boyfriend and asked her mom if she was "sleeping with him."  Her mom responded, "Its none of your business!" My daughter and her friend believe that it is their right to know as a daughter and that her mom should have been honest and open with her. I want to know what you think?

1. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think her friend has a right to politely express to her mother that she doesn't like the boyfriend, and the mother ought to be willing to discuss that much with the kid.  Other than that, NO!  No kid "has a right to know" about his mother's or father's sex life.

2. Cagsil profile image62
      Cagsilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think that the children need to know their place. What business is it of the children, whether or not, the adults are doing adult things. hmm

1. Jim Hunter profile image59
        Jim Hunterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree.

3. Anne Pettit profile image82
      Anne Pettitposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The 13 year old daughter wants to know if her mom is having sex only if she is NOT having sex.  She does not have a right to know but she is very threatened that her mother is intimate in any way with a man she does not like.  This is a good time for Mom to reassure daughter that she will never be replaced.

1. Lisa HW profile image83
        Lisa HWposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think a kid in that situation isn't so much worried about being replaced as she may worried that her mother will let the "questionable" (in the kid's eyes) boyfriend to be given too much say over, and influence in, the girl's life (or even over her mother).

1. Anne Pettit profile image82
          Anne Pettitposted 7 years ago in reply to this

very good point

4. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think it would ne odd if a mother *did* specific whether or not she was having sex to a 13 year old.  If the girl is at all smart I think she should be able to just work it out for herself.

2. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

I think it depends on the child. My mum cheated when I was 13 and I knew - but I was very mature for my age. Kids seem to grow up faster these days.

3. wychic profile image78
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I'd agree that no one, including one's children and teens, has a right to know about someone's sex life. There is no more right to know about sex between the mother and her boyfriend than kids have a right to know how often their happily married parents are having sex. What difference does it make? There can be nothing constructive accomplished by divulging the information, and demanding it sounds downright nosy to me.

4. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 7 years ago

This term "The Right To Know." as if it has some legal connotation.  Yes when the news media is trying to get a story that can impact the general public yes we have "The Right To Know."  But let's say in your youth you did some things you weren't proud of being related doesn't give you the right to know ALL my business.  We individually should have enough to worry about with our own business then trying to stick our nose where it's not wanted or belong.

working