Teens smoking is Way Up

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

CHICAGO — Smoking among America's youth has reached epidemic proportions, starting them on the path to a lifetime of addiction, the U.S. surgeon general's office said in its first report on youth smoking since 1994.

Almost one in five high school-aged teens smokes, down from earlier decades, but the rate of decline has slowed, the report said. Because few high school smokers are able to quit, some 80 percent will continue to smoke as adults, according to the report released on Thursday.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46669027/ns … 1kqYnm2auI
    Does it have something to do with the lowered pregnancy rate? The USA once had the highest teen pregnancy rate int eh world and now may highest rate of smokers?

1. shea duane profile image80
      shea duaneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Stacie, that is disturbing. I don't know whether it has anything to do with teen pregnancy... but that is bad news...   Funny, I have a neighbor who says that I am killing myself by eating white sugar, but he chain smokes. Go figgure.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

there could be a connection...from data i collect via work...smoking is just one of several issues with teen pregnancy (with low income parents and of course they'd be classified as low income if they are teens)...so if mama/papa doesn't quit, the habit/addiction could pass to the  next generation...just a thought...