Best Chocolate Muffin Recipes: Easy Muffin Recipe For Caramel Muffins
Muffin Recipe For Caramel Muffins
Most people love chocolate chip muffins and I confess that I used to love them too. Until I found out that I was allergic to chocolate (highly unfair) and had to stop eating them.
So what's a reformed chocoholic to do? I turned to my next favorite delight which is caramel and lucky for me, I can eat that!
I've been thinking for quite some time about a recipe for caramel muffins and have tried a couple. However, I was trying to perfect a recipe that would remain light and fluffy and give the maximum caramel indulgence to the muffins.
I think I found the answer by substituting cake flour for regular flour. I found a recipe on the Internet that was for a chocolate chip muffin, although it had a crumb topping on the muffins which I'm not partial to. I like a muffin that is sweet but still leaves you with a bread-like flavor.
I'm still experimenting with different kinds of caramels to add to the batter because the little pint-sized ones that I used, while absolutely marvelous, seem to sink to the bottom of the muffin so there is more of a 'stick factor' when you take them out of the pan.
I am going to cut them in half next time for even smaller bits and then add only half to the batter and carefully add the other half after they're in the pan and see if that makes a difference.
I'd also recommend using paper muffin cups to alleviate sticking but check the muffins to see if they're done a few minutes before because muffin papers can dry out a muffin.
Muffin Recipe for Caramel Muffins
Makes 12 delicious muffins
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup caramel bits, chopped
- 2 eggs or 1/2 cup of egg substitute
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup melted butter (or margarine) cooled slightly
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line muffin tins (12 muffins) with paper muffin cups (or spray with cooking spray).
- Sift through a wire strainer or sifter the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Stir to combine. Dump in 1/2 or all of the nuts and 1/2 or all of the caramel pieces. Toss to coat.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla until eggs are slightly beaten. Stir in the melted mostly cooled butter. Mix well.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and blend together with a few strokes. I actually just did a 'poke and move' method so that I did not overbeat the mixture. Muffins that are not light and fluffy have been beaten or stirred too much. The mixture should JUST be moistened. (The batter will be thinner than you're used to)
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Check with wooden pick in center or cake tester. If it comes out clean, they're done!
- Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then remove and cool on a rack. Bet you can't eat just one!
VARIATIONS ON CARAMEL MUFFINS
For those of you who can eat chocolate, just substitute mini-chocolate chips for the caramel.
The video below also shows pieces of regular caramels cut up. I'm going to try that next.....only very small pieces to keep them from all sinking and sticking.
My daughter wants me to try peanut butter chips and white chocolate chips so I have their orders in place for the next time they visit.
These muffins also freeze perfectly. I had to put them into the freezer before we gobbled up all 12 at once...or better yet if Griffin spied them on the counter and had a caramel fest.
Whatever way you make these muffins, the cake flour helps keep them really light. Also not overmixing them is the key to the best muffin. Next on my agenda is to try and add back in a bit of unbleached flour and use half cake and half all purpose. Hopefully they will stay light!
These make great snacks or an indulgent breakfast muffin with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee.
More Muffin Madness
- Recipe For Sour Cream Muffins: Oatmeal, Chocolate Ch...
If you want a seriously easy yet delicious muffin recipe, this is the recipe for you! Sour cream muffins retain their moisture more than any other muffin recipe I've tried. They actually turn out more like...
- Best Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
With all the attention given to pumpkin pie, cake, and roasted pumpkin seeds during the Halloween season, a true gem of a pumpkin recipe is often overlooked: the delicious pumpkin muffin. Start off...
- Healthy Muffins for Kids, Toddlers and Grown-Ups: Ma...
Basic healthy muffin recipes for sweet or savory muffins. Plus tips on making moist, delicious muffins with whole grain flours and healthful ingredients.
- Making Your Own Pumpkin Puree and Muffins
Fall is the time for pumpkins - and I don't mean just for carving. Many people don't realize that the pumpkin you carve could actually be food for your family as well. Pumpkins are loaded with vitamins and...
- Simple Recipes for Tasty Non-Fat Low-Calorie Muffins
Fat-free family favs like carrot-cake, apple-cinnamon, banana spice, pumpkin, and cranberry corn muffins!
- Marvelous Muffin Recipes
Muffins are a great snack or make a tasty breakfast.
- Making Muffins from Scratch - Basic Muffin Recipe
One of the best ways to be frugal in the kitchen is to make your own foods. Don't use all of the prepackaged products available all over the grocery store. Just walking down the baking aisle will show you...
- Holle's Spiced Low Carb Muffins
If youve been reading my latest articles, you know that Ive been experimenting a lot lately with low carb recipes. Ive tried lots of low carb foods. Some were delicious, while others werent....
- World's Best (and easiest!) Banana Nut Muffins
Do you get tired of reading about great recipes... but when you try them they really don't turn out like you wanted? There really are secrets to baking incredible muffins -- light, moist, delicious. But for...
These Look Delicious but Where's the Recipe?
More by this Author
A lot of people ask me how I have time to bake bread and rolls. To be honest, if I had not discovered how to use my mixer to knead the dough for me, I probably would have called it quits. I have a lot of trouble...
Looking for healthy muffin recipes? You can't go wrong with 2 kinds of oatmeal muffins made from scratch.
EMDR therapy is proving very successful in dealing with many anxiety and panic disorders. Learn how you can self-administer EMDR therapy any time and any place.