jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

Starbucks Coffee

1. Mamba79 profile image60
    Mamba79posted 5 years ago

Why do people pay almost $5 for a latte at Starbucks? Do you realize 1 Starbucks venti latte a day equals nearly $150 a month.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...i don't know...

i think it would have been cool to have sat around the starbucks strategy meeting when they discussed charging folks $3 for a coffee when most places charged $1...from a biz perspective, it would have been quite interesting...and the strategy worked!

3. Mamba79 profile image60
    Mamba79posted 5 years ago

Yes it worked indeed. I admit going through my local Starbucks drive-thru and spending about $13 for (2 ) Venti lattes for $4.55 each and banana walnut bread for $1.95 and perfect oatmeal for about $2.00. At the time I was doing well financially but now I realize that I could have saved that money for a rainy day.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

..yes it is pretty expensive isn't it?....i pass through but not often - every few weeks - it's a treat for me...hey...now they can make even more money by having folks 'drive up' - they can cut down on capital costs - less space will be needed to pump out those 'lattes' for the same price and increase the profit margin even more ...good for them!  ...and people are probably lined up still - just in cars now!   lol

...save your money!   what the heck is 'perfect oatmeal' anyway...especially since the staff just probably pop it in the microwave!

1. recommend1 profile image70
        recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi SOH - sorry you got caught in the Libya crossfire yesterday big_smile  go get a Starpukes coffe as compensation.

I personally have some taste buds left and do not like the low quality coffee beans they use in relation to the very high price they charge.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
          SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

..big_smile hey R!!....@ 'starpukes' lol

4. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I've been known to pay $2 for less "prestigious"/trendy coffee outside, which isn't all that wise either.  Still, when it comes down to it, I like my own coffee best (particularly if it's a freshly opened can/bag).  Starbucks is too strong and too "not-plain-old-coffee-with-nothing-else-in-it" for me.

1. HikeGuy profile image85
      HikeGuyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

About the only time I go to Starbucks is if it's the only coffee available. I did the the math on what I was spending at my local espresso place years ago and bought my own espresso maker. Now I grind my own organic coffee and have my espresso my way -- without the line and the inflated prices. I still go to my local cafe to get out of the house and make money while I'm out -- $2 + tip for iced tea or a regular cup of coffee and I can use the Wifi with my laptop. That's a good deal.

5. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

I prefer grinding my own coffee and drinking it in the peace and quiet of my home.  I got a Starbucks gift card for Christmas, and was turned down at two "Starbucks" locations.  Sure, they sold the coffee, but for some reason, they didn't honor the gift card.  I'm not paying extra for their coffee and tea, over-priced bakery items, and the "atmosphere."  Starbucks certainly does not give me enough bang for my bucks, so I bypass any of their locations.

6. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I don't think there's anything ever like freshly ground you do yourself.  I have a basic little coffee-grinder that only does "so much", but that means what I do grind is really fresh.  (Starbucks was good about my friend's gift card, though.  He got one for his birthday and lost it, or it got old, or something.  He contacted them just to ask about it, and they replaced it.  He hadn't really expected them to do that.)

7. 0
    SmartyPensposted 5 years ago

I love Starbucks but my husband now makes our own flavored drinks at home. We call them Crapuccinos since they are so bad for us!

1. AshtonFirefly profile image82
      AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

8. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 5 years ago

Cheaper to drink beer..... and it does not keep you awake!

9. tonymead60 profile image80
    tonymead60posted 4 years ago

I've tried Starbucks a couple of times and apart from it being overpriced it just tasted like dirty, gritty water to me...uuk from the uk