Can our handwriting reflect our intellectual abilities?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (30 posts)
  1. fredosmen01 profile image59
    fredosmen01posted 13 years ago

Your brain guides your hand. Everything put on paper is a result of a two-way circuit between your brain and the motor reflex muscles of your hand. Thus, your handwriting becomes a Polygraph or Oscilloscope read-out of your "complete self." To you, it's just handwriting, but to a handwriting analyst, it paints a picture of the person "behind the pen."

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it says much about our intellects, but more about our personalities.  That's what handwriting experts are analyzing... not how smart someone is, but the character traits he or she possesses.

2. Polly C profile image89
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and if you are left handed then you use the right side of your brain to process what you are doing, rather than the left side, if you are right handed....so using the creative side rather than the logical side, completely different parts of the brain......that's a bit off the subject, isn't it?

3. Tranita profile image59
      Tranitaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. I have the worse Handwriting ever. That was all one of my teachers saw. Bad Handwriting. then one day I typed a paper and got the highest grade on the assignment and she pointed out to the class that my handwriting is horrible. lol kind of embarrassed me, But I was cool with it. She said "never write anything on your papers. always type them and you'll succeed."

4. Bjorny818 profile image59
      Bjorny818posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's a big difference between your brain and your mind. The brain is the hardware for the mind to channel it's thoughts through.
      When someone dies and pulls away from the physical body, it takes a full 3 days or so and the body loses about 5 to10 lbs.
      So yeah.. we communicate through the body to one another via talking verbally or on the phone, hand language, typing on the internet (like this), writing by hand, etc.

5. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No ... if it were so, all the Scribes in History wouldbe Geniuses.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

so what do the xperts say about someone who scribbles/scratches and uses symbols and short forms that only i understand and sometimes the symbols are mathematical in nature?  basically no one can read my writing.  have to make a real effort if i want someone to read my scratch.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

here too smile

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Our handritting in part is a reflection of how we would want others to precieve us as is also true in the way that we dress our selves. 
    My  scratching shows somewhat how much I care what others think. Sometimes you may be able to read it if I care if you can or not.
      Now! on a serious note!  To better answer the question.  Yes experts can tell a lot about your personality when looking at your hand writting.

4. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

uh-oh.  I'm in trouble!!  lol
    No matter what my handwriting is inconsistent unless I concentrate VERY hard and honestly?  I can't concentrate that much anymore!

5. profile image0
    Justine76posted 13 years ago

I would LOVE to have somone analize (anilyze?) my handwriting. I am always fascinated to find out how the world sees my outside.

1. JWestCattle profile image60
      JWestCattleposted 13 years ago

I think with handwriting you can tell more about a person's emotional and mental state at the time of the writing, and their personality -- rather than their intellect.

2. Polly C profile image89
      Polly Cposted 13 years ago

Apparently if your writing leans to the left you are the sort of person who looks to the past, and if it leans to the right you look onwards, to the future. I read that in a graphology book years ago...I suppose if it isn't leaning at all then you live in the present. Not sure how much truth in it.

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know something that has always leaned to the left, but enough of that! lol!

I was told by someone that if a persons handwriting is really neat they are well organized and can work well under pressure and if they write sloppy then they are the exact opposite...not sure if there are myths circulating!

1. Polly C profile image89
          Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was trying to word that really sensibly as well:D

And if your writing loops upwards a lot, out of context with the rest of it, like when you do an 'L' or something, then that means you are quite dreamy and interested in psychic matters etc.

3. ceciliabeltran profile image64
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

handwriting and brain functions are intimately related.

The Arrowsmith approach uses handwriting exercises to strengthen the motor brain for speech.

Dyslexics have bad handwriting.

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would have to say that I don't quite agree with the statement regarding dyslexics.  I have encountered and work with several people afflicted with dyslexia and their handwriting is very neat.  They tend to take more time to write than the average person and concentrate more on spelling correctly.

I wonder what is said about people who are ambidextrous...I happen to be one.  Depending on which hand I use, the letters slant opposite directions.  That alone, should throw some loops into profiling based on handwriting.  big_smile

4. lightning john profile image60
      lightning johnposted 13 years ago

Some say that the smaller the writing, the more intelligent   that person to be, who knows?

1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
        ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

intelligence is usually attributed to unfinished writing, like that of doctors.

small handwriting means poor self esteem and large handwriting means egocentric. thats graphology, i have no idea if its actually true.

1. lightning john profile image60
          lightning johnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmmmmm, soooo if my writing looks like poo I could become a doctor!

1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
            ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

or a scientist! yehey!

2. Falsor Wing profile image60
          Falsor Wingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well then wupee I'm a super genious

5. ediggity profile image59
      ediggityposted 13 years ago

If handwriting reflects my abilities then my intellect can be compared to a bag of tortilla chips.

6. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Some of the most intelligent people I know have terrible handwriting.  One of my old flatmates bast friends was in some kind of in depth science field (He was employed as some nuclear science advisor).

While he could write fluently on the computer, hsi hand writing was attrocious, as were his interpersonal skills.

Most of the really intelligent people I have met seem to follow these lines, then you get the quick witted people, who generally can't comprehend a subject to the smae level, but can talk the talk, these people tend ot have nice handwriting.

Then you have people like me, jsut trying to get along tongue

1. mugshot profile image57
        mugshotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh you know me then tongue

Only joking but saying that I am left handed and my handwriting is so appalling that when i was young I was put into special classes because they couldnt understand what i was writing!

Today, thanks to the wonders of computers I have a very good job creating programs, websites and such so dont need to worry about my handwriting affliction!

I agree with what you say though, the most intelligent person I know is my Stepdad, he cant tie a shoe lace but he can reel off the most amazing information about anything! Oh and his handwriting stinks too.

7. torimari profile image66
      torimariposted 13 years ago

I don't know. I have the sloppiest cursive on earth often denoted as Doctor's chicken-scratch.

I guess I'm brilliant.

8. wingedcentaur profile image65
      wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

By "intellectual abilities" do you mean "smartness" or are you talking about the nature of such abilities? That is to say, are you asking if handwriting reflects IQ or a "right-brained" or "left-brained" personality and associated talents - which are neither worse than or superior to the other?

If its the first, then I can only say that it is a striking revelation about the society in which we live, which creates the level of anxiety necessary to pose such questions. I'm not saying you're anxious, I'm talking in general terms. Its interesting to note that the Obama administration is trying to implement their education "reforms," Race to the Top, I think the operation is called - a continuation of Bush's No Child Left Behind, and so forth.

This program, like that of George W. Bush, involves "accountability," as reflected in narrow test scores, "choice," in the form of charter schools, and "merit" pay for teachers, as opposed to a guaranteed fair standard of living for our public sector teachers. Teachers are worried about this approach causing schools to narrow curricula and "teach to the test," as opposed to provinding a well rounded education. In this respect, that question (Can handwriting reflect intellectual abilities?) fits snugly into that paradigm - unfortunately.

If, by your question, you are asking if handwriting reflects mere qualitative (as opposed to supposed quantitative) differences between people, then the inquiry becomes a more fun and interesting. I only raise these points because the range of responses go back and forth between these poles.

Let me close by saying, that if you were referring to IQ, a better question might be: Why do we measure such things?

wingedcentaur

9. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

According to my handwriting, I'm a serial killer. In truth, however, I'm just a cereal killer - especially with raisin bran!

10. profile image0
      Keatonposted 13 years ago

LOL @habee! That was funny.

I personally am skeptical about the whole handwriting thing. I believe they say if it has an upward slant, you're a happy person, and a sad one if it has a downward slant. Well, I've had upward slants, and downward slants, and slants that looked like circles, especially on typing paper. My handwriting constantly changes. I experiment with my penmanship often.

It has taken a lot of practice for me to perfect writing in a straight line on typing paper. Does that mean I'm disciplined or something? Or hecka patient?

11. Bjorny818 profile image59
      Bjorny818posted 13 years ago

From Barb Heiam-Bjornsen of HUMAN WEATHER REPORT Horoscope

The answer is YES, your handwriting reveals how you feel about yourself and others.

I took a 6 week course and had my handwriting analyzed by a professional gal that works for the FBI. She showed us 20 examples of prisoners handwriting and what she could do to help the authorities catch criminals and how to deal with them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)