Should certain books be banned?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. USMCwifey09 profile image63
    USMCwifey09posted 13 years ago

There is always an ongoing debate over what should or shouldn't be taught in schools. I'm simply curious as to what fellow hubbers think. So, feel free to jump in!

2. profile image52
    RadioMan86posted 13 years ago

Exposure is a good thing. It's important to broaden student's minds. It's what they learn from it that makes it important. Sure there are books that are heavy in terms of content, but it's worse to ban them instead of explaining the value behind the lesson simply because the educator (or who ever) disagrees with it's purpose.

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Books should not be banned, however, books in public schools need to be age-appropriate.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto

4. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

I think, all too often, we ban books because we are lazy. It would have been much easier to refuse to read Adolf Hitler's great work of insanity "Mein Kampf. I wasn't convinced anyone could be so evily insane.

It would have been easier to ban his thoughts from my mind. But how much wiser, how much more responsible, how much more a boon to my education and development as a human being was my professor to take the time to talk to me about what I had read?

Laziness isn't the only reason we ban. We also ban books out of fear or misunderstanding, or because we want to control.

I worked for a church for several years and was caught up in the great Harry Potter maelstrom. As soon as I heard a minister say, "Now I haven't read these books myself, but here's why you should keep them out of your children's hands," I wanted a copy of each. In a few weeks, I had read all that were available, and I was getting myself into all kinds of trouble at work by trying to enlighten my fellow Christians as to the positive nature of the stories. But fear has its claws in firmly.

So I say no to book banning and agree with USMC.

Teri

USMCwifey09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I remember the Harry Potter issue. To an extent, something like that also teaches kids that you shouldn't read for just fun...even if the book in question is for all intensive purposes harmless. Again, it goes back to teaching kids to be able to distinguish reality from fantasy, right from wrong, etc.

1. luvpassion profile image62
        luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If children read Harry Potter then they might want to be witches, and we couldn't have that. Better to ban the books from the school and deny some of the most entertaining and thought provoking children's books I'd encountered in a while, than to take a chance on having to explain your position of faith to your child.

Better that no one should have to think.

When we remove books from our libraries for whatever reason, we limit our children. We cut off their horizons. We slam doors of opportunity. We starve their minds. It takes more time, it takes more effort and it takes more heart, but rather than banning books, we should be educating our children.

We should be teaching them to think and reason. We should be giving them the tools they need to read about the vastness of their worlds and see clearly the differences between good and evil.

Hiding what we think is evil from them doesn't teach them anything. Teaching them to navigate their worlds through literature and art gives them a rock solid foundation.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Nope, I don't believe in banning books at all. But like others said, should be age appropriate. But the others should be available for kids who want to learn more...

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Books banned?

Banned from where?

There can never be a reason for a ban on a book, because it breaks a person's individual freedom of expression.

Are you talking about books banned from schools?
    Or Libraries? Or Being sold?

Just curious. hmm

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Reading the first post in addition to the title may help to clarify the question. At least it helped me smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did read the post and the title, and still needed to ask for clarification.

The libraries inside schools are allowed to sell the books it has on hand or that are donated to the school.

The schools should only ban one book from entering the school and that would be a religious book. Especially, if it is a public school.

The libraries of each school should have all forms of books(except for religious).

USMCwifey09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Apologies for the confusion, Cags!  Banned from schools and libraries. And thank you for your input smile

2. luvpassion profile image62
          luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree...banning books is just that no matter the content.

I think book banning is lazy, fearful and controlling. When we start banning books (religious or otherwise) I think we steal from our children.

When we deny them books. We slam doors in their faces and we keep them from the magic of life.

3. Misha profile image63

Umm, ok, I am probably is not too familiar with American schools, hence did not see the difference. smile

Yet your suggestion to ban religious books surprised me. Whether you guys have free speech, or you don't. This covers everything, including religion. smile

7. Jackson Riddle profile image48
    Jackson Riddleposted 13 years ago

I heard that the book "American Psycho" came shrink wrapped and you had to be over 18 to purchase it. Could just be a myth though as I have never heard of this being done.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't heard anything like that about that book. But, then again, I'm not much into that type of reading. hmm

8. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

Yes, I think all books should be banned in schools.
    Knowledge is a dangerous thing.

9. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

I think that book banning would just open the door for more government control and really who needs any more of that? They already tell us how we can do everything else from raising our kids to spending our money. why give them control of our minds as well?

1. Misha profile image63

They already have it, through public education. On this optimistic note - night everybody smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)