jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Banned book; would that make you want to read it just because it's banned?

1. ptosis profile image82
    ptosisposted 5 years ago

Banned book; would that make you want to read it just because it's banned?

Latif Yahia who was Uday Saddams's look alike and is what the movie, "The Devil's Double" is about has a new book called "The Black Hole" which has been banned in books stores in the US. - I didn't even know that book banning still existed (I feel like a naive fool believing that now).

It must be banned because on Amazon, it's listed 'available through these sellers' used for $184!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6651158_f260.jpg

2. joanwz profile image75
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

Yes, it most definitely makes me want to read it more. YOu've got my curiosity up now. I've got to go check this one out.

ptosisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

well I'm not paying a lot for this book. I'm going to ebay in .eu or somewhere that has it. then I can resell it for big bucks when I'm finished.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

Yes, banning a book does make me want to read it more. The kind of people who ban books are usually the same kind of people that I don't agree with on a number of subjects, so it's doubtful I'll be offended by it as well. Also, one of the strengths of literature is the ability to push boundaries and take people out of their comfort zone. Therefore, if a book is offending someone, there is a good chance it is doing something right.

4. ptosis profile image82
    ptosisposted 5 years ago

Can't find a list of current US banned books. In the movie, the word was changed from CIA to Germans when the torture dude said  - We learned these techniques from the Germans.

(and now you know why the book is banned in the US - he talks about CIA training Saddam's henchmen. )

5. AM Hanson profile image78
    AM Hansonposted 5 years ago

Simply having the status of being a banned book doesn't make me want to read it.  If you've ever read some of the books that were formerly banned in the US, you know that being banned doesn't always equal a good read.  Also, while it looks like might be an interesting read, the book's topic doesn't really strike my fancy in the first place.

ptosisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The Devil's Double was a good movie tho' - but then again I like history and personal motivations in politics.

6. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
    LoisRyan13903posted 4 years ago

I read Les Miserables by Victor Hugo around 25 years ago.  It was one of the top banned books and did not find any problem with it.  I think it depends on my reading schedule.  I have several books I am reading right now so I don't have room in my schedule to read any more at this time

working