IS it better to drive New York to LA or do it other way around ?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. wytegarillaz profile image59
    wytegarillazposted 13 years ago

If we were going to drive across America which is the best way to do it and where is it best to buy /sell a campervan ?
    The wytegarillaz are thinking about a trip !
    What are must see places for us ????!!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We live in California and did a cross-country trip in a  minimally equipped van many years ago with two children ages 8 and 12 (we also took a well behaved dog). It was a unique opportunity since we had four weeks.

The American West has beautiful and amazing natural wonders-- plus interesting historical sites, But it is widespread and far flung. The traveling distances are wide. We have had European cousins who do not realize that Western states are as big as European countries.
      Our objective was to fly through the West which we had already seen some of-- and concentrate on the historical sites of the east-- especially the Civil War  and the Revolution.

As a general rule-- the west is unique and spectacular in natural wonders. It takes time to travel. Eastern attractions are closer together.
      I would think  doing the west -- and then squeezing in  a lot of  close together eastern attracitons might be a plan.

Do your research. Hope you see Yosemite, Grand Canyon and/or Yellowstone,  Washington DC.

2. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Start in NY and end in LA.  Personally I would go south to Florida first, and then West through Louisiana/Texas/Arizona etc.  You can stop off at the Grand Canyon, Bourbon Street, Hoover Dam, Vegas, maybe watch a couple NFL Games along the way.  The Saints are Superbowl Champs, so that may be something to see.  It really just depends what kind of stuff you are in to.  Theme parks, beaches, camping etc...

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Depends on when you're doing it. If you go in early October, I would start in NY so you can see some of the spectacular foliage. It wuold be a great time for a drive through parts of Vermont and New Hampshire. Forget doing the northeast thing between late November and early April, as you could get stuck in some nasty snow. If you don't mind the snow, then make sure you're in NYC anytime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's fabulous and will really get you in the holiday spirit.

Forget Florida--it's overrated. (I used to live there.) I would take I-95 down the east coast through NJ, PA, MD and VA and then stop in Savannah, GA. Then head west and hug the southern states. I would stop in Louisiana, Dallas, San Antonio, Albuquerque, Scottsdale/Phoenix and then turn up and into Colorado. But that's just me. smile

If you take the northerly route, the drive from Tahoe through the Redwoods and into wine country is fabulous. And make sure to stop in San Francisco and then take the PC 101 all the way down to LA. You'll pass through Big Sur along the way, and it's well worth the drive.

4. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

No don't forget Florida! You have to hit Disney World!!! And NASA -- or what's left of it!!!

wink Sorry Irohner

1. wytegarillaz profile image59
      wytegarillazposted 13 years agoin reply to this

can you still see space shuttles go up ?

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can only see them when they're scheduled, but I doubt we're going to see any now that the Obama regime has downsized NASA.  But there's still lots of spacy stuff to see.

5. wytegarillaz profile image59

thanks , we need advice on best times of travel, Nasa appeals to me !
    love to see beautiful scenery, the Niagra falls, grand canyon , rivers , small friendly towns !

1. ediggity profile image59
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How long do you plan to take?  Weeks?Months?

Yes, if there's a Flight.  Maybe ask the Flightkeeper, but don't hold your breathe.

Nevermind she already answered, dang your fast Flightkeeper.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dig, I'm fast so that I can keep my flight tongue

1. ediggity profile image59
          ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I need some of that speed, I'm always getting left behind.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

ah lrohner, florida is beautiful. the real florida is amazing. the florida skies are incredible. I've lived here a long time and every day I'm amazed at the sky and the sunsets.

you could check out the travel section of HP. and pick the states you're interested in. there are many, many hubs talking about cities and places to visit.

http://hubpages.com/topics/travel-and-p … tates/5726

I've traveled extensively throughout the US. I would go east to west. there's something special about traveling west across the country. there's so much to see. and ending up at the Pacific is breathtaking.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/home/index.html  the next scheduled shuttle launch is in Nov. it depends on weather also if they launch on the scheduled day.

a travel agent could help you plan the perfect itinerary and help you locate an rv. you could try AAA.com

7. wytegarillaz profile image59

were wondering about buying one then selling again at the other end ,, want to take our time  as in months , do free hugs along the way, photography etc !!
    love to do some snorkeling where we can see turtles etc,
    kayaking , enjoy nature

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I cant tell you abut the buying and selling of RV-- you will have to research that, but keep in mind that the travel distances between destinations are much further in the western states.  Your back home destination might determine the best place to end your journey.
      I hope you have a great travel experience. Visit a lot of small towns, and I'm sure you will find that America welcomes you, There are several companies which will rent a camper van-- I see them all the time -- like "Travel America" etc. Compare them to buying and see what you can find.

OK I an see now that you are from Austrailia== It seems that it might make sense to fly east and travel west, but do keep in mind the travel distances.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if you want to snorkel, the Florida Keys are beautiful or you can try the Crystal River area on the west coast of Florida. this section is called the nature coast far away from crowds and condos of the southeast coast of FL.
      you can snorkel in crystal clear water and swim with the manatees from Dec. through March. The area is a huge wildlife refuge. It's right on the Gulf of Mexico.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)