Give me a reason for quit smoking?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (25 posts)
  1. wilsonallen01 profile image61
    wilsonallen01posted 13 years ago

Hi,

I want to quit smoke. Please give me some specific reason to quite smoke.

1. ofmelancholy profile image62
      ofmelancholyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ı've written a hub telling 10 reasons to quit smoking. Ofcourse first reason is to live, the thing that matters most ultimately. I was a smoker too don't smoke for 7 months.

2. Mancini profile image60
      Manciniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because it can kill you.
      Is that good enough? smile

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you already stop driving your car, threw away your knives and remove all the furniture from your house? wink

3. EatLovePray profile image61
      EatLovePrayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My grandpa used to smoke a lot..for 50 years.. A year back he had a stroke..which caused paralysis.., and it really shook everyone.

If you care about..and don't want your family to be hurt by your addiction..you should stop. It can kill you. Bottom line.

I hope you succeed if you try stopping smoking!

4. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Go to a cancer center/hospital and meet some of the people who are dying because they smoked.  Take a look at the side effects of the treatments (radiation, chemo, surgery, medications) that they are enduring to try to extend their life.   Talk to their families about what they are having to endure because their loved one would not stop smoking.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Because you want to. Just stay committed to the task you set before yourself. Mind over matter.

The human will is the strongest thing known to humankind. Understand that, come to know it, and live it. wink

Be true to yourself about your commitment. smile

That's best advice I can give you.

1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You just want to live healthy,
      be master over your life,
      not let your needs make a slave of you
      You want to be a person lead by reason and not by feelings.
      You want to show  who is in charge here mind or matter?
      Do you let a small scrap of paper and some dead leaves rule your life?

You need to make this decision for yourself and your family ,because you want to, not because of some one else is saying so!!!

3. Shopping-Online profile image63
    Shopping-Onlineposted 13 years ago

Think of your near and dear ones who would be affected by Passive smoking and Quit the Habit. If that is not a good enough reason, think of all the diseases and health conditions related to smoking and quit the habit.

4. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

A friend of mine has some serious health issues that are smoking related. he recently informed me that quitting was the BEST thing he ever did, hard as it was.
    Then he quantified his habit over the last 52 years of smoking with a $ value.
    I was shocked (as was he) that in that period of time he had spent $62,000.00!!!
    Not a bad price to pay for his sickness!! cool
    That's 2 reasons for the price of one.
    Good luck.
    If you want some hints on how to start, I have a hub about making changes in your life.

5. TerryGl profile image56
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

Michael Douglas

6. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Apart from the already-mentioned benefits to health and bank balance, here are some more:

1. You'll be able to taste your food again.
    2. Your clothes won't smell like an ashtray, and neither will your breath
    3. You'll be able to climb stairs/run for the bus without coughing and wheezing
    4. You won't incur the annoyance of your non-smoking colleagues ("Huh, he gets a smoke break, while I have to carry on working.  No fair!").
    5. When you go to pubs, clubs and restaurants, you won't be required to indulge your habit in a rickety two-walled shack in the "beer garden" (OK you might not have to suffer this one - depends on the laws in the country where you live).

7. vydyulashashi profile image59
    vydyulashashiposted 13 years ago

It's a persons strong will and desire to quit smoking will help. Most of them initially take an oath to quit smoking but slowly they deteriorate and start again.
    Truly, a person should be strong enough to quit smoking no matter how many promises you make,finally you may break 'em!!

1. wilsonallen01 profile image61
      wilsonallen01posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

8. adeyera profile image61
    adeyeraposted 13 years ago

5 reasons to qiut smoking:

Smoking can increase the risk of suffering a heart attack, as well as a stroke.

When you smoke you become even more stressed. So, by quitting smoking you can feel more relaxed and bring the stress in your life under your control and not let smoking control you.

Smokers typically don't smell very good. By quitting smoking, your clothes will smell better, your mouth will taste better, and your nose will work better.

if you want to enjoy a healthy sex life, you need to quit smoking, as smokers are known to suffer from erectile dysfunction more often than non-smokers.

smokers always face a higher risk of getting cancer of the nose, lung, mouth and the throat.

9. profile image0
    ucangetfitposted 13 years ago

I quit two years ago after 20 years, one really good reason is the crazy cost, and of course the health issues, duh

10. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

so you dont die from this...   <snipped link>

I saw my exboyfriends Grandfather slowly die from emphysema caused by smoking. It is an awful, horrid, painful, way to go.

<snipped link>

11. MauKat profile image73
    MauKatposted 13 years ago

I wrote a post on this. What got me to quit smoking is when I realized that smoking makes you ugly and dirty.

People who smoke age faster, they get more wrinkles, their fingers and teeth are stained yellow, and no matter what you do there is cigarette ash everywhere, dirty ashtrays and stinky smoke.

Just think about that next time you want to light up!

(PS I quit cold turkey over 20 years ago and I still think it was the best thing I ever did!)

12. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Two words -- pulmonary embolism. Of all the health risks associated with smoking, this one is known to be the most deadly in the least amount of time.

The most recent smoker story I have is a man that came into the hospital here for a femoral bypass. Thanks to smoking three packs a day, plus other risk factors, his veins were in such bad shape that they literally started falling apart during surgery. The surgeons were able to stop four or five major bleeds and finally got him back together, but by time he was done he didn't have a drop of his own blood left and had turned over almost another body-full of blood bank blood in the process. Against all odds, he did recover...and had the worst withdrawal symptoms you can imagine, suddenly having the cleanest system he'd had in 50 years. He spent over a week in ICU screaming for a cigarette, but couldn't have one because of the risk of adding pressure on already very weak veins. When he finally went into general recovery his doctor prescribed nicotine patches to help lessen his misery.

This man spent time in combat in Vietnam and has made his living as a cowboy ever since his return to the states, he's broken about every bone in his body, been shot, and had the back of his skull taken off when a horse kicked him, and he says that nothing compared to the agony of suddenly being deprived of all forms of nicotine. It was the first time in his life he'd ever wished that he'd quit on his own.

13. BDazzler profile image77
    BDazzlerposted 13 years ago

"I want to quit smoke."

Really, if that reason isn't good enough, other reasons won't help.

14. fucsia profile image59
    fucsiaposted 13 years ago

If you think about what could happen in the future is not useful to you , because it is remote and potential, consider this: when you quit, you are better now: you  breathe better, you have more energy, you are more relaxed, you are less nervous, trust purchases in yourself, love you more. And then instead of smell, perfume and save your money ... Now, not tomorrow, not in a year, not in two years ... Now!

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

<snipped link>

if fear doesnt work, look at the good things that will happen.

15. greatinfosite profile image60
    greatinfositeposted 13 years ago

Need a good reason to quit your smoking habits? Simply ask yourself do you want to be a bed ridden tube fed old man/woman when you reach your 50's? smoking not only cause cancer but it also cause vascular dementia.

16. MalcolmKlock profile image60
    MalcolmKlockposted 13 years ago

Quitting smoking is certainly desirable if you want to spend your last years enjoying your family and whatever fruits the labors of your life have reaped, rather then hooked up to machines undergoing fruitless surgery.

Really wish you luck, its a tough thing, but quite doable.

17. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I have a hub listing the top 11 reasons I came up with.  I also have a hub about the the benefits of switching to electronic cigarettes if you're trying to quit.  Some people are able to quit entirely by switching to e-cigs first. (My husband smokes/vapes, not me.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)