Deconversion from Christianity (or any other religion)...

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (20 posts)
  1. secretmemoir profile image61
    secretmemoirposted 13 years ago

I was raised pentecostal christian, and my deconversion has taken place over many years.  My parents think I am going to hell.  I have a very shallow relationship with them, as their be all end all is their belief in God.  I get preachy emails from my mother occasionally.  I've told her many times not to preach at me.

What was your deconversion like and how open are you about it to family/friends?  How do they treat you?

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

mine was similar, but with older friends , and it is still going on now some.

emails, rescue attempts etc.... some of it fun to watch, some of it frustrating.

I think they see you as freeer when you do that,  and it un-settles them because they can not describe you, figure you out, place you or what you are. People need to do that for some reason. fear i guess, control their world around them.

It is out side their relm of the brainwashing they have. My friends are begining to see me as freeier though and they are comming to see that I am still growing at 59, even though I am Older and honestly, some have admited I sure seem happier. I still have a bit to go also, we all do.

I guess times heals them, or they disaper confused, but either way you are free.

secretmemoirposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, I feel freer and happier.  I've finally been brave enough to put ex-christian/agnostic athiest on my FB profile (which might be unsettling for the christians on there that haven't known me in recent years, or have been concerned about my 'backsliding'

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
          dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

backsliding to them, walking upright to you, stand strong, it will come.

2. secretmemoir profile image61

I read a testimony by someone that likened the awful feelings when first deconverting to throwing up - feel awful for a bit but then much better.   I thought it was an excellent analogy.  I don't feel completely free of it all yet, but am getting there

2. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I am not surprised the relationship with your parents was shallow. Religion has less than nothing to do with love.
    Religion says "You can be loved if....."

Love is never a conditional thing.
    Most religionists are void of love as with love they would have to see the cruelty and fear their religion is based on. smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image62
      Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is deconversion as a result of reasoned debate concerning the religion's scriptures or as a result of being disillusioned with the religion's organised religious bodies?

For example, I left my church because I didn't fit in to its culture or agree with much of its party line interpretation of the bible. However, I have not walked away from what I understand the nature of God to be.

I left the church nearly 20 years ago, and in a gradual process also abandoned my former believe in god (as I opened my mind and considered other things).  This does not mean I have become promiscious, a murderer or anything like that

so for me it was disillusionment first because of the hypocrisy of the people, and then 2 using rational thinking

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

It was two main things for me. By becoming aware of the hypocrisy in religion and by studying the bible for 2 years in 3 languages and then reading the quoran.

What I recognised is that no man or woman could obey such psychotic instructions and retain a sane outlook. smile

Did you believe in god at one stage, earnest?

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I did. Religiously! lol

what was the turning point(s) for you?  We're you brought up in a religious family?  My nutty mother is the hardest to deal with

1. earnestshub profile image81
            earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, mum was convent educated and full of fire and brimstone. smile
            My real indoctrination began when I worked with a christian I admired for his brain. He knew his bible so well he was involved in inter-church debates at a very authoritative level.

I became an active member of that debating team after 2 years full time study in Greek, Hebrew and English translations.

I went on to study psychology and have been reading in psychology for a very long time.

I re-discovered religiosity as a mental device of control and an outlet for psychological abnormal behaviour such as megalomania evident when a religionist makes threats using his god to do the threatening. smile Thanks for asking.

thanks for sharing

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)