do u believe in prophecy?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

do u believe in prophecy or consider it to be mere stories?

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe in modern day revelation. I don't think God would be talking to his people unless he establishes a church and speaks through prophets, as he did before.

Amos 3:7 "Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets."

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

not any more, I do not believe it.

1. ichoosehim profile image60
        ichoosehimposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dutchman, you said not anymore, did you have a bad experience that you can share?

2. profile image51
    Olorunlanaposted 13 years ago

I believe in Prophecy and I do prophesy. So I say by the word of the Lord You will not Miss God, In Jesus Name

3. kazemaru2 profile image60
    kazemaru2posted 13 years ago

no I believe people shape their own destiny not blindly following notions from the past.

1. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People can shape their own destiny if they stop following notions from the past. Since I don't believe in a supreme being I don't believe that which doesn't exist can predict the future or plan my life. Or that the non-existant has any affect on those who do buy into the concept of a diety. Weak minds will always grasp at the most rediculous explanations for that which they are to lazy to research and learn about. I seriously doubt that the trip I made to the bathroom to dispose of some fecal matter was planned for 2000 years ago. If it had been I wouldn't have run out of toilet paper.

4. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

I think they are self fulfilling.  Like the OT said it prophesied and the proof is the NT, all it means is that people wanted it and so they made it happen. 

Now the project 'end' scenario is the new prophecy and many people believe it and will do whatever they can to fulfill it. 

They are not divine in any sense of the word.  They are selfish desires of people who would much rather be elated by the destruction of all things so they can 'verify' their faith.

It is dismal and chilling.  I cannot say I do not believe it because I do because many people do believe it enough to make it happen.

I do NOT believe they are "god" inspired, divinely inspired or even good.  I do believe they can be changed but unless you can change a persons mind, the idea of "heaven on Earth" is a pretty improbable idea.

So, the prophecy goes, you will never see god until everything is destroyed or at its worst and that is the only way the good will come.

It's not too hard to figure out, make everything as miserable as possible via faith and then and only then will the rest of the "unbelievers" come to their god.

It really doesn't read like some glory I love you and thanks for saving us type of thing.  It sounds more like, "I will cut your balls off and burn your kids alive until you say you believe."

So it really does not surprise me, so to speak, that so many "true" believers and saying Climate Change is a lie therefore we can continue to pollute because God is soon coming and there is no reason to believe otherwise.

With that mentality, no doubt it makes the prophecy inevitable and thus, I do not like Christianity or any religion that really believes in the "end is neigh" bull dookey and will follow the script so selfishly.

Religion will be the death of us and they cheer! "Glory to our God!"  They cheer, "Die you blasphemous son of a bitch!"  They preach, the end is good for us because we believe too bad for the rest of them.

They get all giddy about the promise of total destruction because they believe that right after that they will live cheerfully in Heaven or wherever with god or Jesus as if they because they really could never grasp the concept of how stupid they really are.

If you want to get into heaven, first you have to kill everything.  They Cheer!!!!

It's disgusting and wrong and selfish and greedy and naive and ignorant and totally ill inspired and deceitful and unjustified and evil.

And they hate me for hating them for wanting to kill everything.  They hate me and people like me who do not accept, believe, like etc. religion.  They hate us for being vehemently against such things that have and continue to cause really bad things and they cannot get enough of their self induced glory trip and how awesome they are for believing that god is going to kill us because we think they are a bunch of selfish arseholes.

But whatever right, I am just another player in their game.  To them, I am their "enemy" and because I reject their beliefs, they believe that their prophecy is being fulfilled.

You know what they say, "Jesus loves what is bad and god loves what is good."  Just more bull dookey in the shite can.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can see how the NT could be made up to "fulfill" the OT (especially as there is no independent evidence of Jesus etc)

5. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Sandra ...  like everyone else, you are right ! ..  and at the same time  wrong!

Jesus,  According to scripture, spoke very ill towards the scribes and Pharisees of his day.
      They haven't improved any since then.

And as far as the prophesy is concerned; There will always be things that are unknown to us but are destiny.
       Like the spring thaw, The winter snow will melt when spring comes. Destiny !

We may not know all things that lie in our future, but there are things that we can not change no matter how much that we wish that we could.

I think that I can say with all certainty, that any man made organization will eventually be corrupted.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Religion and government joined together in the 4th century.
    This was absolute power over the people of the Roman Empire.
    When the Western Empire fell the Holy Roman Empire stepped up and took control over the kings of earth.

The biblical term "Earth" is not the same as we perceive it today

To answer the question originally posted,  Do I believe in prophesy ?  Absolutely, because I can see when and where almost all of it has been fulfilled through out the ages.

Is religion teaching prophesy correctly ? Absolutely NOT!
       If it did?  It would have to point a finger at itself.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And if god has absolute power then it is absolutely corrupt. So there is either NO GOD or God is Satan.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was actually speaking of humanities having absolute power and being corrupted by it,  BUT   If this also applies to God ??  we need to redefine the meaning of corrupt.

Does every definition of all words always apply regardless of the environment in which it is used?

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All you are doing is making excuses for what you believe.  Redefining the meaning of corrupt so that it doesn't reflect your god is as corrupt as it gets. 

Your suggestion of changing the meaning of corrupt because it applies to god is sinister and deceptive and wrong and further validates the conclusion I have drawn about god and Christianity.

There is no means by which you will stop lying for your god and your beliefs.  So because your god is corrupt, you would like to change the definition of corrupt to somehow reflect something good. 

They have been doing that for centuries now, why don't you get it yet?  Stop lying for god.

2. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

or there isn't an external god or devil - it is the evil within, that anyone can access if they choose to

6. ichoosehim profile image60
    ichoosehimposted 13 years ago

I belive in prophecy,God speaks about it in His Word. True there are some false prophets,It is my belief that a true prophet will always tell you something from the Lord that will confirm to you that they are speaking on His behalf.

7. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Only my own prophesies.

8. Jerami profile image58

Can sugar corrupt sugar?
        Can Salt be corrupted with salt ?
        Power doesn't corrupt power?
        Power corrupts weakness of a man morals.
      I am having trouble coming up with a definition of corruption that can apply to an all powerful entity.
       As I said earlier  we would have to work on a definition of corruption before it would be grammatically correct.

9. xobliam profile image61
    xobliamposted 13 years ago

I believe there are a few prophets that have come and gone.

However true prophets are few and far between.

There are plenty of people who have gifts that allow them use a sixth sense but to me that is not a gift that allows for true hard core prophecy.

Predictions are a dime a dozen and wrong about as often as right therefore closer to just random choice or chance or lucky guesses.

Being right once in a while is not prophecy IMO.

10. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

Love peace free. This is not corrupt. Human beings with free will can turn it into corruption with their darkened minds.

11. Jerami profile image58

I have often heard that after 450 BC there were no prophets until the arrival of the Messiah.

Daniel had already received prophesy that covered events up until the end of days for that Hebrew Nation.
      The power of the Holy people was scattered to the four winds beginning in 135 AD.

And John received prophesy that covered the next 1900 years.

I do not see a need for there being any other prophets except for the two that was foretold in Rev.11

12. Bornagain profile image59
    Bornagainposted 13 years ago

I do not believe in modern day prophets, but I do believe in the prophecy of the bible.  Anyone who has the ability to read can judge for themselves the truth found in the Bible.  All prophecy that has already been fulfilled cannot be denied.  Just as earlier biblical prophecy has been fulfilled, so will the rest be fulfilled.  Read the Bible, then read your newspaper.  You are watching the Bible unfold before your very eyes, but choose to ignore it.  It is no coincidence that the events occuring in the middle east today are happening.  If you still choose to believe that it is Christians making prophecy come tru, you give us way too much credit for shaping destiny.  The message of true born again christian believers is not one of dismay and judgment, but one of hope and love.  I keep hearing how Christians are the devisive one's, but that is just the pot calling the kettle black.  True Christianity is about love and about a person, the Lord Jesus Christ who Came to this earth in order to save all of mankind.  Unfortunately, not all of mankind will accept that, but rather choose to criticize and insult those of us who do.

13. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 13 years ago

Yes Born, but Sandra has a valid point here.
    God can not escape the O.T. No matter how many translations of the N.T. are out there, or how many Pastors re-define it with literary license for their individual followers.

she has a point.

And The Middle East is a man made disaster. You can not take a general resolution to the League of nations and declare some one else's land yours, with out permissions of the original owners! There was no authority for it, and it condemned the region to strife and war ever sense. True Prophecy from God would not condemn people to hate and war. It was man made.

"Colonialization" at its finest moment!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)