Forced to Kiss The Bishops Ring

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (77 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

In Ireland at the moment - confirmation is taking place all over the country - this is where Catholic children aged about 11/12 go through a procession of being confirmed as Catholics - during the ceremony the Children are forced to Kiss the ring on the Bishops finger - this symbolising his marrage to God - is this forcing of children to kiss the Bishops ring acceptabl;e in the modern day and in light of what we now know about many Catholic Priests, Bishops and others............

1. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure, like any good tragedy, it is a prelude of things to cum. wink

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea what the symbology is in kissing a Bishop's ring. One thing I would ask is how do yo uknow they are being forced to do it?

Off hand I would say kissing a ring is a pagan practice. It goes against God and Jesus Christ.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This may seem like such a little thing..
          How many LITTLE things are being taught wrongly.

How much of a cross wind does it take to cause the arrow to miss the bulls eye; let alone the whole target or barn that it is hanging on?.

1. Pandoras Box profile image59
          Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lot of little things being misrepresented basically ends up being one huge friggin' lie.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sir Dent, your statement is valid, of course, regarding whether or not children were "forced." As they become adults, those who turn against the church for whatever reason will conclude that at some level, they were most likely put in what they felt was nearly an impossible situation of pleasing their parents and the church at the time. They did what they had to at the time, in order to be safe and relatively happy. Forced at gunpoint or by sword, obviously not, but there is usually some kind of pressure associated with these things. Changing one's mind is often based on experience and fact, and we do have that right, of course.

3. Inspiration101 profile image61
        Inspiration101posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you on questioning whether these children are actually being "forced".

I'm not for or against Catholics, but as a Christian group, I do find their heavily ritualistic practices rather hypocritical.

3. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...tell the child drop his pants, "moon" the bishop and YOU tell the bishop to kiss his ass!...fair exchange? I think so!
      The bishop may enjoy that!
      I say that knowing the molestation history of catholic prelates!
      Then get wise, and get your child out of monotheistic belief!

4. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah....., very good question you've asked here.  You know I always taught my son, that it was ok if he didn't want to sit on someone's lap, or hug someone, or talk to a relative, or even smile at one of friends if he didn't want to.  That it was ok to stay in a comfortable place, where he felt safe.

I taught him that it was okay to have personal boundaries, and if someone made him feel uncomfortable, well he didn't have to put up with it.  As a Catholic myself, I was forced to do a lot of things, that I was uncomfortable with.  Confession for one, was a big source of anxiety for me.  However, I don't think the Church will change this tradition.  It is ingrained in us, and it is also a sign of respect to the Fathers of our particular religion.

I didn't make my son do anything he didn't feel comfortable with.  I took him out of Catholic school when he was 11.  Besides that though, I do think that in this day and age, kids should not be forced to do anything like that.

5. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Confirmation is supposed to represent a conscious choice to enter the faith unlike at baptism where it is your parents' choice.  This unfortunately is rarely the case.  I think the kissing of the ring must feel like a demeaning ritual for those children - especially if in their own minds they are not doing this by choice, but by parental and peer pressure.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Centuries ago (and in many cultures today) children entered adulthood at sexual maturity.

This catholic ritual is a hearkening back to those times.

No eleven- to twelve-year-old today is capable of making that decision with conscious choice. They do it because they are pressured into it by the church.

I am not opposed to confirmation and all its hypocritical manifestations. Rather, I think it's an opportunity for the family to join together for the sake of the child, an opportunity to have an open conversation about life and to celebrate a passage from childhood into emerging adulthood.

There are few rites of passage as disciplined as this. I think parents need to look at all the ramifications for the sake of their children's welfare, and not rely on the church to do the educating.

1. Lisa HW profile image60
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As I mentioned in a post below, I was confirmed at 11.  What you said here is the first I've heard of anything like this.  lol lol   My parents said nothing about anything before Confirmation because they left that up to the church folks and classes.  In Confirmation classes we were told we were going to decide to be "soldiers of God" .  That seemed fine enough to me.  ("Who wouldn't want to agree to be a 'soldier of God'? I thought.)  The responsibilities of being a "soldier of God" didn't sound all that unreasonable to me.  smile   

As far as sexual maturity went, at 11 I had just been told by a neighborhood kid exactly how babies get started (and I didn't believe it)  lol   Those were the days, eh?   lol

6. mjane24 profile image61
      mjane24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

BISHOP ARE LIKE SODOM AND GOMMHORA

7. Lisa HW profile image60

I was raised Catholic (public school, Catholic Sunday school).  In those days kids in America were Confirmed at 11/12 too.  My own experience with the nuns and priests was fine (nothing weird at all).  Before Confirmation we had the classes and there was the day when the Bishop came and kids were told he was coming so they kiss his ring.  (I essentially thought, "whatever"...).  Nobody ever told us what the whole business was supposed to mean, and as a hygiene-conscious kid I wasn't too thrilled about that aspect of it.  Other than that, 11 years old,  I just saw it as "yet one more weird, ritual-type of thing that was done in the Catholic Church.

I didn't feel "forced" at all, but then again nobody left any room for there being anyone saying, "No, thanks."   lol   It was passed off as a "big, special, day", and I just thought it was the nuns' and priests' business if they saw something special about this odd practice.    I didn't technically kiss the guy's ring because, as I said - germ-conscious.    The guy didn't say, "Hey, you missed the mark."  The line of kids just moved along.  I suppose I figured that I wouldn't touch the ring, but if the guy made an issue of it then I would.   

I just saw it as something all the "church people" believed in and thought was a big deal.  I didn't believe any of it from the time I was six years old, so I just "did whatever" until I was old enough to stop attending.  I just didn't see having to go through the line and pretend to kiss the ring as a big deal.  (Ironically, I was the kid who got to lead both the First Communion and Confirmation processions because I was shorter than all the other girls.  I saw that "honor" as a task I got stuck with for being short.  lol  )

2. theirishobserver. profile image60

Should we shy away from such topics or fully explore them?

1. LarasMama profile image61
      LarasMamaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I guess it can almost be claimed as a phallic pagan practice - originally the idea of kissing an extended part of anyone in authority was -ahem- basically kissing their extension. Catholicism is deeply pagan, so why should this particular part be any different.

Whoa - that one would never have occurred to me.  smile    I just thought it had something to do with the fact they blessed things like Bishops' rings and things like Rosary beads, so I guess I just thought it was some kind of "blessing in reverse" from the ring.   smile

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey Irish, nice new pic.  smile I think we should fully explore....
      the topic of course.

3. Jerami profile image59

Glad you asked !!
         Everyone is getting tired of my saying this !

Does anyone think that Jesus or any of his desciples would kiss his ring.
        Christians of the first century would be put to death rather than to bow to the Emperor.  And here christians are expected to not only bow but also kiss the ring?????  And teach our children to do this also?
         Jesus wouldn't even let anyone bow to himself. Do you realy think that Jesus would appreciate you doing this before any Man of this world?  Of course NOT !!
        I can not understand why Religious community can not see that The religion that Constantine built in 326 AD is the Beast that John described in Rev.13 (in 94 AD) 

No believer wants to study this issue because they can sence where this truth will lead them.

Seeing prophesy of scripture having been fulfilled makes my   faith in the God stronger.

Everyone wants this False religion mentioned in prophesy to come at some time in our future. It will not!!!

This religion that Constantine built twisted the Truth and calls it an "Interpretation" of the word of God.

Here I go...  The part that everyone knows is coming and don't want to hear.
         If This religion that Constantine build is the .....
      "Whore of Babylon"?   Does she have any Daughters?

Do not take this wrong!  I believe in GOD and all scripture of the old testament concerning the Messiah.
         And much of the New Testament concerning his teachings.
         But I can not forget who wrote the New Testament??

Prophesy was given and Prophesy has been fulfilled.
      This is easier to believe than ...Prophesy was given 1900 years ago and no one knows when/if they will ever be fulfilled???

1900 years ago Jesus said....
              "Shortly come to pass"
              "The time is at hand"
      Jesus told his desciples over 60 years earlier; in a PRIVATE conversation...
         "This generation shall not pass till all these things be fulfilled; but no one knows the day or hour"

Prophesy has been fulfilled..  We just don't want to see it that way, cause that would mean that the Church has lied about it.

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Kids will do what their parents ask in so many cases. They are looking for acceptance and safety aren't they? So if their parents say the church is good and safe, they will likely believe it. We probably shouldn't do a LOT of things in religion that symbolize this twisted idea of ultra loyalty, and especially avoid symboling marriage to minors. Obviously, not being adults, their understanding and experience is very limited and what they do will often be based on trust of those in authority.

I don't think it's a good practice at all. However, given the pressure a lot of these kids are under, they don't always feel like they have a choice, regardless of being told they do.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh man, "the choice" do as I say or burn for eternity..nice choice, right?

4. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I would love to be proven wrong about my statement above..

But it seems that this is a taboo subject.
       Everyone seems to be dancing around this same bush.
    But no one wants to dive into it.
    When we go back through the scriptures beginning at the beginning; concerning prophesy and examine what is really written before "Interpretations" are injected into them, we will see a completely diffrent picture than the one "Religion" presents to us.

5. theirishobserver. profile image60

The reason I know they are forced to do it is because the parents are told that if they dont kiss the ring as some parents were suggesting then their children cant make their confirmation smile

Is the Pope not called "HOLY FATHER" ?
      Did Jesus not say  (Mark 10:18)  "Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, GOD". 

If Jesus would not allow any man to call him Good; do you think that Jesus would want any man to call another MAN
         "HOLLY FATHER"??  ....   or kiss his ring?
      Everyone knows the answer to that Question.
      If asked, Jesus would say   "again",   "Don't do it"

There are hundreds of instances of this kind of blasphemy and yet mankind is blind to this fact.

The beast was given 42  (prophetic) months to blaspheme, and if possible would fool  "even"  the elect.
        And kill those that would not take his name.
        The Inquisition is over guys.   It is OK now to be honest with ourselves.
        If we have been fooled, how hard would it be for someone to make us realize it.

There are none so blind as those that refuse to see.
      We must be careful;
        Are we worshiping God or Religion?
      And self justifying it by saying that it is just a tradition.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are the blind one. Despite 2000 years of this nonsense - still you stand there and argue that the shroud of Turin - which you have never seen - is proof enough for you that Jesus rose from the dead.

And so religion continues it's merry way. Thanks to people like you. sad

1. Padrino profile image60
          Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you make of that shroud of Turin? I watched a documentary the other night on TLC or some channel creating a face from the shroud. I'm just curious as to what others think the shroud is.

An attempt to make money from the gullible in medieval times. Oddly - two of my friends saw it last week and had trouble not laughing at the display. It comes out every 10 years or so.....

It depicts the 100% perfect image (for the day) of Jesus' face.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/992128_f520.jpg

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Shroud-of-Jesus-is-a-Fraud

The documentary talks about how the Catholic church let scientists do tests on the shroud for 5 days in 1979 or 80, they determined that the figure on it was not painted on and really couldn't come up with an explanation. I know some carbon tests on the shroud date it to 1390/1450, but there are new discoveries that the shroud was included in some very ancient writings.

Several people have replicated it using techniques available at the time it was dated (1500 years after jesus) - but I had not heard about these "ancient writings" - where are they?

You would have to watch the documentary I can't remember where the writings were found. I will google it and see if I can find it.

I did read the hub you provided but didn't see much proof that the shroud had been faked. I am open to the possibility that it was but didn't see any evidence on the hub.

2. Jerami profile image59

I believe that there is a God! What this God thing is .. (your words);   I am not sure. I feel that it is nothing like "Religion" teaches it to be.
            The previous post that "I" profess to be true,  meets you
          95% of the way between your beliefs and that of religiousity and yet you are still offended???
             I think that this offends you more than the average Christion
          preaching does. There is no pleasing you. Not that that is my intention. 
             Why is that?

It is this ridiculous belief that causes all the conflicts and abuse.

But - you cannot see that. sad

Yeah - you believe. You would die for it? You would kill for it? You would hide behind it? You would defend this belief?

Sad.

Yea!  this seems to offend you more.
                My believe that a higher; (possibly evolved) being exists outside of the Religious definition  that does not contradict scientific proofs, seems to bother you.

I have to be crazy... cause ...  the Atheists say so ...  and the religious right and left say so too.                    I must be crazy??????????

LOL

So - you never reference the bible?

Still - defend the faith!

All I am saying is this belief causes conflict - and here you are fighting over it.

You are the one who told me the Turin shroud proves jesus rose from the dead and therefore the RELIGIOUS BOOK - THE BIBLE is right. lol

But - you do not think you are religious?

Yes - you are crazy.

Yes I do refer to the bible.  When the Church that Constantine built established their canon they did have to keep enough of the commonly held beliefs in order to get some of the religious leaders of the day to accept this collection of writings. And to be enticed to join this NEW religion.
                  Based upon compromise.
                     In my opinion, There is some truth in it.

Science would have never accomplished anything if they threw out new concepts in their entirety just because they found a flaw in the concept. 
                     Ya don't cut an apple tree down just cause ya found a bad apple on it.
                     You can be compaired to a jar of peanut butter(science) argueing with a box of chocholote (religion) as to who taste the best. It don't have to be either-OR
                    Myself...  I like reeses peanut butter cups.

Like I said - Your beliefs have caused centuries of conflict.

Still - that does not matter because you believe. LOLOLOL

You do cut down a bad apple tree when it is infecting all the others. wink

Fight for God!!!

2. Beelzedad profile image60

If the concept is flawed, what use is it to science or anybody? That IS how science accomplishes things.

You would if the tree was guaranteed to be free of any bad apples. And, in this case, there are many bad apples found on the tree of righteousness. smile

6. Padrino profile image60
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

This is what I found, supposedly the shroud was in Constantinople and before that Edessa an early Christian town. I looked at the links provided and really don't know what to make of all this, could someone have created this shroud in the middle ages and it stumped scientists until 2009? I would imagine we are much smarter these days, maybe not. 

http://www.factsplusfacts.com/

7. Padrino profile image60
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

The Shroud is supposedly mentioned in the septuagint. I don't know.

8. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

My confirmation involved being slapped in the face by the bishop. A ritual slapping, of course. But it was supposed to be an acceptance of joining the army of Christ, becoming Christ's soldier, subjugating myself to the church's authority and also turning the other cheek.

How screwed up is that?

Being forced to kiss the bishop's ring is just as humiliating as being slapped in the face by his hand.

I must say that confirmation education, drummed into us by the nuns, was more terrorizing than the actuality. The bishop turned out to be a good guy, smiling with a gentle touch on the cheek.

And that's screwed, too.

Sally's Trove - I forgot about that one too!  lol  lol   The guy at our Confirmation was like the one you got - smiling and nothing at all resembling a slap.    All I know is I had a really great dress and was glad to get the Confirmation classes over with.  smile

9. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Jerami wrote:

Jerami said... Science would have never accomplished anything if they threw out new concepts in their entirety just because they found a flaw in the concept. 

Beelzedad  said ...  If the concept is flawed, what use is it to science or anybody? That IS how science accomplishes things.

Jerami said... that is wrong!  All of scientist formulas began with flaws.  And then they work on it some more until they can remove the flaws until it becomes acceptable as fact.

Ya don't cut an apple tree down just cause ya found a bad apple on it.

Beelzedad said  You would if the tree was   "guaranteed to be free of any bad apples".   And, in this case, there are many bad apples found on the tree of righteousness.
       This statement has a flaw in it. Can ya see it?
       And if a crow or blue jay pecked a hole in one would ya still cut the whole tree down?

You really shouldn't write about things you have no understanding, Jerami. That is most certainly how science does NOT work.

No, I don't. smile

1. alternate poet profile image65
        alternate poetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well - that most certainly IS the way science works, it is called experimentation.  The same goes for understanding, it is the mistakes we make that teaches us, we even learn how to walk by learning not to fall over.

I get that, but Jerami was under another impression in that scientists begin with flaws and work from there. smile

Stopped off for lunch and looked in. 
            @ Beelzedad   If you were reading my mind as to what my impresion was?  You were on the wrong page wrong dayor something??
              I meant to say exactly as alternate poet answered.I would have replied the same had I been here.
               My beliefs are doing the same thing.  Working out some things that I consider as flawed. We are all in a state of becoming or decline?? No matter what the issue we are speaking of.                                                              and thank you    alternatepoet   for pointing this out.

Then, I apologize for having misread your post. smile

@  Beelzedad  no need to apologize.But Thank you!
                  I think I get misunderstood a lot.  Might be my fault.

10. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I think it is ridiculous kissing anyone's anything. I am selective with whom I kiss.
    I grew up going to a Russian Orthodox church, as a kid we were asked to kiss the priests hand during the ceremony. I refused....
    Where does this practice come from any-way??

1. profile image0

That is a good question and I do not have an answer for it.

11. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

I just asked someone and got two replies.

One answer is: centuries ago and its done as a sign of respect for a spiritual leader.

The other answer, ( I like this one best) is: the godfather !!! lol

Take your pick.

1. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Sir Dent either way it is not right. We should only have to show our respect to people of our choosing and not bow down to any man on this earth. smile

1. profile image0

I agree.

1. Rod Marsden profile image69
          Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Catholics will do what they will do is the bottom line. If many Catholics feel that a ceremony going back centuries is still valid and their children should kiss a ring and thus pledge their loyalty to the church then so be it.

As for the children I don't know how much if any force is involved in getting them to do this. It may be a sign to some that they are growing up and ceremonies dealing with that are common throughout the world and are usually welcomed by the participants.

12. theirishobserver. profile image60

Personally, I find the entire practice of kissing the Bishops ring - unacceptable - yet in many instances parents are given no choice - Ireland is a small place and even smaller when you live in a twon or village - if your child does not get confirmation bestowed then the child is isolated - it is also worth remembering that the Catholic Church continues to own and run 80% of schools in Ireland.

If changes are going to happen they must come from the people. I don't live in Ireland and therefore I have no say in what Irish Catholics should or should not do.

To me the kissing of the ring has more to do with trust than anything else.

If there is no trust as in the case of trust being broken or betrayed then there should not be any kissing of the ring. In a tight knit community if wrong had been done then not having your children kiss the ring would and should get support.

I wouldn't kiss anyone's ring unless it was my wife's and then not too often but since I am not married I can't say for sure.

13. theirishobserver. profile image60

PATSY McGARRY, Religious Affairs Correspondent, irishtimes.com

THE POPE has been accused by a leading theologian of engineering a worldwide cover-up of clerical child sex abuse in the Catholic Church and of having made worse everything that is wrong in the church.

The accusations have been levelled by Pope Benedict’s longtime critic and former colleague, Swiss theologian Fr Hans Kung, in an open letter to the Catholic bishops of the world, published in this newspaper today.

It is devastatingly critical of the pope and urges the bishops not to be silent where the current church crisis is concerned but to set about reform and call for another Vatican council.

Timed to coincide with the fifth anniversary of Benedict’s election as pope next Monday, Fr Kung says in the letter “there is no denying the fact that the worldwide system of covering up cases of sexual crimes committed by clerics was engineered by the Roman Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith under Cardinal Ratzinger (1981-2005)”.

He continues: “During the reign of Pope John Paul II, that Congregation had already taken charge of all such cases under oath of strictest silence. Ratzinger himself, on May 18th, 2001, sent a solemn document to all the bishops dealing with severe crimes ( epistula de delictis gravioribus ), in which cases of abuse were sealed under the secretum pontificium, the violation of which could entail grave ecclesiastical penalties.

“With good reason, therefore, many people have expected a personal mea culpa on the part of the former prefect and current pope.Instead, the pope passed up the opportunity afforded by Holy Week: On Easter Sunday, he had his innocence proclaimed urbi et orbi by the dean of the College of Cardinals [Cardinal Angelo Sodano].”

Fr Kung says that “when it comes to facing the major challenges of our times, his [Benedict’s] pontificate has increasingly passed up more opportunities than it has taken”.

Such missed opportunities included, he says, “rapprochement with the Protestant churches”, “reconciliation with the Jews”, “the opportunity for a dialogue with Muslims”, and “reconciliation with the colonised indigenous peoples of Latin America”.

Also missed was “the opportunity to help the people of Africa by allowing the use of birth control to fight overpopulation and condoms to fight the spread of HIV” and that of making “peace with modern science by clearly affirming the theory of evolution and accepting stem-cell research”.

He says that “with a return to pomp and spectacle catching the attention of the media, the reactionary forces in Rome have attempted to present us with a strong church fronted by an absolutistic ‘Vicar of Christ’ who combines the church’s legislative, executive and judicial powers in his hands alone. But Benedict’s policy of restoration has failed.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro … 48283.html

In 1964 there was a big council meeting in the Vatican to discuss the issue of contraception.  Methods with no scientific backing that actually don't work were approved of. The pill, the condom, etc were not. The previous pope upheld the findings of this meeting and the decision of the 1964 pontiff. The present pope has basically done so as well.

14. theirishobserver. profile image60

Strange things happening in the Catholic Church - POPE may have to resign smile

No way is that going to happen. No way will the pope resign. I believe that in the history of the Catholic church only one pope has ever resigned and he was tricked into doing so. Other popes have been assassinated but not in recent times.

The real problem is that when the present day pope dies a pope just as conservative and do nothing with probably take over.

I just remembered that  there was a pope before the last two who was only in power a very short period of time. There was talk of him about to expose a money laundering operation to do with the Vatican bank and the Mafia. He may have been assassinated though the proof  of it I believe is thin on the ground.

15. RKHenry profile image65
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

Why would you kiss someone else's ring.  Hell no, are you kidding me? no.  I'd let you kiss my butt though.

No thanks. I have no interest or desire to kiss butts or rings thank you very much. Kissing a wife's wedding ring was a hypothetical and a silly one at that. Even so there is the custom of the land to respect. If Catholics in Ireland are happy to go around kissing rings let them I say. If they are not then they will have to be the ones to speak up and end the practice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)