dogs & cancer

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. way profile image60
    wayposted 13 years ago

My little dog died from cancer on his nose. I noticed a lump on the side of his nose about 3 weeks prior to his death. It grew so fast & pushed right through his gums & out the side of his face & started oozing fluids. He was always hungry & ate alot but he lost weight every day till he was just skin & bones & he  never acted like it hurt him.
    I just want to know why so many animals are getting cancer?  I hope someone can answer my question.

2. nasus loops profile image66
    nasus loopsposted 13 years ago

I don't know the reason why they are getting cancer, but maybe it is the same reasons as why more and more of us are being diagnosed with this horrible disease everyday.

3. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that. My Pit Bull was diagnosed with two tumors in her front leg at 18 months old. They said it's rare for them to get  two tumors in the same leg, and with her age being so young, she's likely not to make it. It's nearly been a year and a half, and still cancer free.

It's hard to hear that your pet has cancer, but 1 in every 4 dogs get it.

I believe it has to do with chemicals in the water and additives in dog food.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I read that also about the water and additives in the food.

my 14 year old dog died a couple years ago from cancer.. sad
      but she lived a long, full life.

the dog we have now eats food with no additives. it costs a bit more, but to me it's worth it. he loves it.

Way, sorry to hear about your little dog.

4. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

rebekah, we have since changed her diet to a high protein, no carb and no additive diet. I agree quite pricey, but worth it.

Most dog foods (dry and can) are manufactured by human grade companies, so their quality is poor. It's quite important to do the research on foods before putting a dog on anything you find.

1. profile image53
      dred2222posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wonder how much money you'd contribute from not purchasing fancy dog food-and donating it instead to support animals who have no homes, or food of any kind.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I volunteered for years getting animals homes. I hate to say it, but that is a never-ending process that animal shelters do not and will not ever correct.

The lady I volunteered for opened a shelter and watched the statistics on dogs in shelters and those euthanized during the time she was open. There was no change. By adding another animal shelter in the area, the number of homeless dogs or the number who were turned into shelters, picked up as strays, or euthanized was not changed.

In a way, animal shelters cause a problem because they do not educate.

Education is the key for correcting the issue.

Let's not try to belittle because of the decisions that I've made in regards to the care of my dogs.

Evidence shows that cancer IS caused by food additives and junk in the diet. Overbreeding has more problems than cancer; I wouldn't be worried about overbreeding and cancer more so of overbreeding and behavior.

5. libby101a profile image59
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

Dogs get cancer just as humans do. It's not really getting worse... you just notice it more when it happens to your own animal. It's sad and it hurts because we develop feelings for our animals as though their our children! I know when one of my dogs die it's like a child has died. It hurts deeply. Some people don't understand this...but it's the truth!

something I think that can participate in cancer is dog food. The preservatives used aren't good. Human food also uses preservatives...it's not good for any animal!!!

I'm sorry you lost your dog.

6. profile image54
    sunny5555posted 13 years ago

I know some one that had a dog the cancer showed up in the front leg, took the dog to the vet and they said it first started in the lungs and continued to spread through the body. The sad part is early stages, animals will not always let the owner know they are in pain.

7. profile image53
    dred2222posted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. Remember, most dogs (and cats) all over the world don't even get to the cancer stage-they die from mistreatment, poor nutrition (it's so funny to read about complaints about conventional dog food-how many dogs all over the world don't get ANY food at all!!!! Try visiting Mexico if you don't believe me..) 
    Cancer is not caused by dog food. Or "chemicals in the water. " Cancer is caused by overbreeding (pet store or purebred pets), animals living longer lives...and better veterinary care and detection techniques.
    Your dog had a happy, loved existence. He was cared for, he had a home. He scored more than most domesticated animals will ever get!!!! He died happy and loved, but I know that it is horrible to lose your beloved friend.
    Everyone else, try to keep it in perspective-our dogs and pets are SO blessed. Instead of focusing your energy on better pet food, fancier clothes for them, and other non necessities, consider donating time or money to one of the many animal charities that serve these poor unloved animals around the world.

1. profile image53
      dred2222posted 13 years agoin reply to this

And PS Mexico has many beloved animals...it's just that the government has little system in place, like so many other countries, to handle unwanted pets etc.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)