Deathbed conversions

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. A.Villarasa profile image59
    A.Villarasaposted 13 years ago

Do deathbed conversions of  christians and other beleivers alike to atheism happen?  I have heard of  deathbed reconciliation of atheists with their long lost belief  in God... so what gives?

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a sense of a form of faith and an afterlife. I had a near death experience and confirm that sense stronger. Of course I had a hospital priest tiring to aim my god up with his ducks. I said I'll let you what the afterlife is like when I experience it, but after you first.

If you haven’t viewed or eaten a fish? How do you know what it looks like or taste like. Not even an instructional book to God can do that, and when you try to clearly ID God it becomes more elusive and evasive

A.Villarasaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A near death experience?   Now how did that feel? Was it anything that you expected? And did it change your perspective on life and your faith in an afterlife?

Didn't mean to shower you with these questions, but kindly humor me.

1. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As we know that NDE can be induced with drugs without dying, we know that these experiences are not real.

Have you personally had a NDE using drugs? If I am being too intrusive, you don't need to answer the question.

1. Pcunix profile image90
              Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I have not.  It's not hard to find this in scientific literature.

2. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That "reconciliation" is most often just the fear of death.  There is no death bed repentance.  Your reconciliation depends on how you've lived your life.  The doctrines and precepts of God are the doctrines and precepts of life. 

That same spirit that you die with is what rises with you on the other side.  If you've lived a life of procrastination and pursued it to your death bed then you will be a procrastinator in the eternities.  One cannot be afforded that same glory, as a procrastinator, as one who lived their life to the fullest of charity and learning and devotion to God.  It just cannot happen.  Were it so God would not be a just God.

Interesting concepts, adding flesh and color to the discussion. Thanks.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You may be right-- but what about the parable of the prodigal son? (I know there are other layers of meaning.)

3. kess profile image59
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the nature and way of life is what convinces one to seek it (life),

if life has not shown you its way then no one else can,

life is eternal and if it is present in someone, it will naturally flow from that one. his cofessions will be the evidence of this life.

repition of things he has heard or read is merely proof that that one is in possession of a memory.

since death it self teaches one nothing those who love death will live it.

I agree that life  exist  in  a space -time continuum. Linearly speaking, the moment we breathe our first (at the moment of birth) to the moment  we breathe our last (at the moment of death),  and what happens in between  is   what we painted  in the canvass of our own lives.  No one  is responsible for  your painting except  you.

4. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

have heard of a few cases:  some that converted out of fear of hell (religious family pressuring them, talking about hell);
      some that 'converted" to keep the ones still alive happy (ie lied to put family at ease);
      the myth that Darwin converted on his deathbed (he died agnostic)

I didn't know that about Darwin... interesting. Would you know if Ayn Rand died as a believer or a non-believer?

5. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A. Villarasa

I can see why you’re curious about deathbed experiences with your MD background and foreground. Most people I meet today have shifted from somewhat religious to somewhat spiritual, mainly the younger generation.

Most people that die are elder and about 85% to mid 90% of them are religious when they die. They maybe talking to angle and devils wail their on heavy drug for all I know. Regardless, its most likely confirms their faith.

Still about 90% of people believe in an afterlife, about 10% of them are not sure enough about God. Since the world and Universe is 99% unknown to each and every one of us.
      It stands to reason, most likely the possibilities there are alien out there, and most likely confirms the spiritual sided belief in an afterlife too. As it has comfirmed my own experience on the deathbed

Doctors are always interested in phenomena  i.e. near death experience, deathbed conversion,  etc. that may happen tangentially in their day to day work of dealing with patients and their tangled medical problems. Trying to forestall death  is his utmost  duty to his patients, but there comes a time when even his most  heroic efforts are not  rewarded  when  the grim reaper  comes knocking persistently and insistently.  Should deathbed conversions be intricately tied to near death experience? Perhaps,  but science generally and the medical profession specifically  could not in any way  give a postive answer to that  conundrum  until  someone do propose an airtight research protocol  that could examine the issue in all its varied ramification.

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

People definitely stop believing in anything after they die.  Does that count?

3. A.Villarasa profile image59
    A.Villarasaposted 13 years ago

Nope.. you still have to be alive and with  full control of your mental faculties to be able to make the switch... sorry, but nice try.

4. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

In that case, I am quite certain that many people lose their faith before they die.  But they probably don't bother to mention it. 

I'm also sure that many supposed conversions to religion are lies by the living.

Interesting perspective....wicked sense of humor too. Thanks for the input PCunix.

1. pisean282311 profile image63
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

may be fear of unknown...that is natural fear..some get it early and so are religious and some get it too late ...in end no one ever would know the truth and it is better to die believing that this is not the end ...now death might be actually the final end but its better to die believing it is not...

5. hanging out profile image61
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

just to speak about deathbed conversions. I don't put a lot of agreement to this topic. Many people will be afraid of death, this is true. Death is scary we don't know until we get there, but if its a long slow lingering dying process then there is lots of time to think about a lot of stuff, unless the drugs are comatosing the patient. So many situations, so many variables.

If a person does repent of their ways and ask jesus to save them, doesn't matter what they were like before, God will save them BUT, hehe i can hear you say... i knew this was comin... yep.. The saved are judged according to their works, not according to their sins because sins were paid for by the sacrifice of jesus. There is a reward for works. I have no idea what the reward system is gonna be like, i can't imagine rewards and this is a good thing, but you see, the repentant person upon the deathbed has no works. All the works prior to repentance are not works of God, they are works of flesh. God was not consulted nor invited to decide what works get done, so these prior works are works of man, (the jw on the sidewalk doesnt count as a work of God) So with no reward and no works what is to gain?
    Secondly... godly sorrow and worldly sorrow are two completely different things and by the foreknowledge and wisdom of God there is a scripture for this very thing.
    2 Corinthians 7:10   For godly sorrow works repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Well said, coming as it does from a true believer. Thanks for the input.

1. hanging out profile image61
        hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are a lot of inferences that people who have not much to do with death will just inject into a thread. To believe in God is to examine death and life vigorously. We have insights from one who lives and understands both realms. The book that people have no belief in, teaches about such realms, we gain insights through the amazing wisdom of God.
        Glory to God i was able to say what was said.
        I kinda get a rush when there is a scripture for every situation.
        Such an amazing word, covers every area. Only God could put it together so consistently and so completely.
        keep bringing on the good questions.

6. lyndre profile image60
    lyndreposted 13 years ago

A sitting on the fence prayer.

If I die before I wake
    I pray the lord my soul to take.

If I wake and did not die
    I don,t believe.Your just a lie

Don't sit on the fence too long...it could be a tedious balancing act.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)