Did you ever see that bright light in a near death experience?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. baygirl33 profile image58
    baygirl33posted 11 years ago

Did you ever see that bright light in a near death experience?

Where is that " bright light" that is seen in a near death experience-in your head or somewhere else?

2. Catherine Kane profile image81
    Catherine Kaneposted 11 years ago

I saw it once when I had a near death drowning experience.

For the record, while I think physiology has some input in this, I believe that it's more than that....

3. Civil War Bob profile image60
    Civil War Bobposted 11 years ago

For me it would have been the left front headlight of a '51 Dodge whose door handle caught me in the face as I stepped between two parked cars!  If I'd have attacked 2 seconds earlier in that snowball fight, I might not be answering this question...or I might have one more 'up your street' of inquiry, as my Brit friends would say!

4. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Interesting question.  I haven't had a near death experience, however, many of my meditation experiences take me to a dark, vast space which is stillness.  As I merge with this space a feeling of sublime love and peace envelopes me.  If I stay in that space and just observe a pinpoint, brilliant white light shines out in the distance like a far off beam from a lighthouse.  If I follow that beam of light it gets larger, fills the space, gets bright and intense and there is another merging with this light which becomes clarity, a sense of supreme knowledge, peace, and brilliancy-

At this point in my life I can't say that I am 'afraid' of death.  My 'death' experiences from meditation and the nothingness of this black space, is one of peace and love. 

How are you doing?  I hope you are well.  Hugs to you.

5. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 11 years ago

I had a near death with the car's accident. But I do not see the bright light as most people are saying about it.

6. ananceleste profile image61
    anancelesteposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6594610_f260.jpg

I have been clinically dead twice; The first time, I don't remember anything ( stroke+ cardiac arrest) I just woke up two days later confused.  The second time, 5 years later right before my 23 birthday, I had two mild heart attacks in 24 hours. Those I was very aware. While they were working on me, I saw a white surrounding light, like a slow flash. I passed out.

I was an ER nurse back then, when I told one of the doctors that works the department with me. He explained to me, that in most cases that bright light is electrical charges produced in the brain perceived by the optic nerve, while the dendrites and axons of the brain dies. I was a little disillusioned, I actually thought that I was going to heaven.

1. Catherine Kane profile image81
      Catherine Kaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it's important to keep in mind that, just because some people present a physiological explanation, that doesn't mean it's the total, accurate explanation of what's happening

7. CR Rookwood profile image71
    CR Rookwoodposted 11 years ago

Yes. It happened very fast, like a VERY rapid swing between dark and light extremes of experience. I was going through a very traumatic time and things kept getting darker and darker and more and more frightening. Literally the air seemed to grow thicker and darker, and also the emotions and perceptions. Very scary.

Right at the point I felt I could not stand another second of it, I said a spontaneous prayer and it was like, whoosh--right up my spine and out of the top of my head into this brilliant white light that isn't really very easy to explain (or even recall) but it was marked by complete love and complete knowledge fused with the light--like the light was this vast living being of which we are all a part.

Also, inside the experience it was clear that time as we know it is a very small and somewhat artificial phenomenon--kind of like a thin string running through a vast ocean. Time is pinched and small, the universe is endless and expansive, something like that.

I didn't come back and start my own religion or anything, but the experience did get help me to get through the rest of the bad stuff, the painful stuff, and it did change my outlook drastically. Whenever I would start to take all the suffering personally, I would think of that light and I'd keeping going forward.

I think probably a lot of people have had this experience and just are embarrassed to talk about it because they know someone will say it's just lack of oxygen or whatever. But if you read the literature and if you've been through it yourself you know it is more than that.

We are living in an Age that wants to reduce everything to matter, as if we are just meat with a little electricity running through us and once the spark goes out, that's it, we're mulch.

I am 99.99% sure that is not correct, but even if the .01% turns out to be true and we are just sparky meat, I stil choose not to believe it because it is kind of vile. If nobody knows for sure what is going on, why choose to believe something vile?

Thanks for the question! I hope you get lots of interesting answers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)