Do you refreshen or update your hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. CarpetDiem profile image71
    CarpetDiemposted 13 years ago

Some experts claim that google loves "fresh content"...

With that in mind and assuming there is something to it, and assuming we would like to get more traffic from googgle...

Would it make sense to periodically update your existing hubs to add new information or make corrections? And is it better to try to improve existing hubs or add new hubs.
    Exit question: Do you or have you ever updated your hub primarily to improve how it ranks in google, and do you think that this would help (and how much)?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As WryLilt says, RSS feed capsules and News capsules will give your Hub enough "fresh content" automatically. 

Just make sure the content of those capsules is truly relevant to your keywords (i.e. don't add an RSS feed of all your other Hubs - just related Hubs or a related blog).

When I first started, I was constantly going back and updating my Hubs, because I was learning so much new stuff about layout, SEO, Amazon, eBay etc every single day. These days, I will occasionally look at the Title Tuner - or as Peggy says, if a new feature comes out, I'll go and add it where it makes sense.

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know this is often recommended, but do you really think Goigle cannot distinguish a feed from actual changes?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't read Google's mind - but as you say, it's recommended by lots of people, so I don't see how it can hurt.

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I have over 300 hubs, so it's difficult to make the rounds very often, but I do periodically update my content on as many as I can.  Simpy changing the title helps spark some new traffic.  How much does it really help? I don't know, but I feel it's worth the effort for me.  I continue to write new hubs as well though.

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 13 years agoin reply to this

same for me except the 300 hubs smile

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I make it a point to go to each hub published 2 months ago and correct any grammar, spelling, etc.

I also freshen up a few of them with new information as it comes available.

On the whole, however I do not make any concerted to freshen just for google; with nearly 100 hubs it would take most of my time just to do that!

4. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Well, I have far too many to update - almost two hundred here and many thousand elsewhere, but if I chance upon something that needs updating, yes, absolutely.  And sometimes I will remember that I wrote about something years ago and realize that there is new information, so in those cases I will search out that post.

But if I started today and freshened ten pages each day, I'd have several years of work ahead of me, so no, I can't do that.

1. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Many thousand elsewhere? Articles from other sites or hubs on another account?

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

At my main website, which has been under its current name since 1997, but actually began in 91 or 92.

5. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I do sometimes. If I find the hub isnt getting much traffic..

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

for hubs that need updates, I do.

sometimes I may change a heading or add a sentence, or remove outdated content. I also change amazon products.

I have newsfeeds on most of my hubs which may freshen certain hubs, some of them never have news.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You do know that you can change the keywords in the news box, right?

For instance you might not be getting results for 'red striped socks' so just change the words to 'socks' and you'll likely have news show.

7. Victoria Stephens profile image75
    Victoria Stephensposted 13 years ago

I would certainly try to update any hubs that wasn't doing very well, but other than that I would go with the "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" thing.xxx

8. WoodsmensPost profile image62
    WoodsmensPostposted 13 years ago

Well I just finished a hub a couple days ago on How to brush up your hubpages I feel this can be done any time.

If you have hundreds of hubs than you should have done this long ago and there wouldn't be to many reasons to fix or update a finished hub other than some features have changed maybe.

Other wise do this on a free day when you don't feel like writing a new hub along the way. Thats my view.

9. Seakay profile image60
    Seakayposted 13 years ago

If I have a hub that isn't getting many hits, my first step is to change the title.  We have a Title Tuner installed now so it's relative painless.  If that doesn't work, I do some re-writing.

10. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

That's why I have RSS feeds and News Capsules. On every hub I have at least one of those.

That way I don't need to go back and edit them unless something changes.

11. Peggy W profile image94
    Peggy Wposted 13 years ago

In the beginning I just leave them alone but with new features constantly being added...like the map capsule for example, it makes it worth while going back and inserting something new when applicable. 

Good idea to take a look at some underperforming hubs to see if they cannot be tweaked to get better traffic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)