Is it title or content, which one is important for keyword research?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Tumba profile image60
    Tumbaposted 13 years ago

Hey all, I want to know is it the title that needs to be taken care of while doing the keyword research or the content or both?

For example, I have written following hub against the keyword "six sigma definition". Please let me know if I need to do some changes in it. Here is the link:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Six-Sigma-Definition

I have tried to improve on the layout and length of the hub as suggested by fellow hubbers on my previous hubs. Please do let me know if there are any further improvements that can be done.

Thanks to all of you for being so supportive so far..!!

2. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

Title is the first priority as it forms the meta tag description for you hub. Usually you first rank for the title and then slowly for other keywords.

The hub has to be based on your keyword. Now a days keyword density has less importance but still a easy flowing keyword rich hub is a better hub. Using keywords in subtitles is also a good process of giving them more value.

3. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

your hub is too short. Make it at least 500 word long and add more tags. Try some long tail keyword phrases. Your current keywords are way too much competitive. You need plenty of backlinking or make the content way too richer to make anything out of this hub. Otherwise you are not going to get a single organic traffic with this hub.

Add more words in the first text capsule so that the 360x250 size ads block appear beside it. You need at least 120 words in the first text capsule to get that ads block.

1. Tumba profile image60
      Tumbaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks saleheen, I will  try to write better and make my hubs a little longer. smile

1. saleheensblog profile image60
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

best of luck smile

1. Tumba profile image60

thank you very much and wish you the same smile

4. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 13 years ago

Title is very important... but who has ever heard of Six Sigma?

So most no one would be searching for it.

The hub is rather short so you could try to expand the philosophy amd the writing is pretty intellectualized.  Most would not have any interest in such heady concepts nor even understand the writing style which is rather clinical and would appeal only to those with degrees in business management... not your average person.

If you have an esoteric subject like that and you want to attract more readers I think a plain English title would attract more views so, in the case of this hub, you should think of something like:

Better Business practice with Six Sigma

1. Tumba profile image60

Hi Butch, I tried to write in simplest of the language. Still, will take care of it while writing my next hubs. Thanks for providing your inputs...!! smile

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I don't know where you went to business school - Six Sigma is one of the most important phrases in Business Management. I've had entire classes on it. People who are into Six Sigma don't need a cute title.

According to wordtracker there were 211,000 searches on it in the last 12 months. And that's not including the dozens and dozens of more specific phrases.

It is a very competitive niche though, and that's probably more the problem.

1. Tumba profile image60

At the end of the day, everything seems to be too much saturated on net. I am finding it really difficult to choose apt topics. sad

2. Tumba profile image60

Thanks Nelle for your inputs, would really appreciate to have continuous guidance from you.. smile

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Tumba you need to find a very different and specific spin on topics like these. For example - and I'm not suggesting this as an actual title I didn't do enough research - Using Sigma Six to Reduce Payroll Costs in Your Business or the Top 3 Books about Six Sigma to Learn Six Sigma Easily.

1. Tumba profile image60

Thanks a lot Nelle, it is really helpful, not only for this topic but for every topic. I am trying to gain more and more knowledge on keyword research these days. Thanks once again. smile

7. kimbles profile image39
    kimblesposted 13 years ago

In answer to your initial question, I use my keyword in the title and then I try to repeat it in the first paragraph of text.

I will then use alternative text. For example, I would use something like "6 sigma defined" (changed six for 6 and definition for defined) somewhere else on the page and then finally repeat the title in the last paragraph.

This is all assuming you have a hubpage with in excess of 500 words, it doesn't quite work on hubpages with too little content.

1. Tumba profile image60

Thanks kimbles for explaining it so well. I will keep that in mind. smile

8. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 13 years ago

I really think you might be targeting a weak keyword.  I don't know what your subject is, but one thing I do know is that the keyword "six sigma definition" shows that is currently only gets 11 people searching for it per month.  But for a similar phrase like "lean six sigma definition" this has 81 people searching for it per month.  Also, even Google is pointing more to the ladder keyword all over your hubs coz I see the word 'lean' in many instances of your Google ads.

That said, you could either keep it like you have it - or optimize for the higher searched keyword.  But whatever you decide to do, make sure your optimize it well-centered around one definite keyword.  No wishy washy stuff.  There should only be one keyword STAR in your hubs.  All others need to play the background.

9. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

multimastery, can I ask where are you getting these numbers from?

1. profile image0
      multimasteryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Peter, data taken from a quick look at WordTracker Free Keyword Tool

(and correction: Those are actual daily search #'s according to WordTracker data , not monthly)

"Wordtracker extrapolates their data from two metacrawlers, Dogpile.com and Metacrawler.com – services that query all the main search engines simultaneously. Their results represent approximately just under 1% of daily searches across all search engines."

Note to all: Don't get caught up in keyword tool numbers because these numbers can vary wildly depending on which keyword tool you use.  I actually use a paid keyword tool called Brainstormit when I'm really concentrating on optimizing.

Bottom line: If I had to choose between the keywords, I'd optimize for "lean six sigma definition" (as far as my views stand now from just that lite keyword research.)

10. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

I have found, for on-page SEO, that Title and Introduction (first few dozen words) are the biggest factors.  Then the overall content, including variations of the main keywords.

Off-page SEO includes alt-text backlinks, especially from relevant sites/pages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)