What hubs/hubbers really helped you with keyword research?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (56 posts)
  1. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

There are tons of hubs on keyword selection and the various tools one could use to make the process easier.

But, like most things 'net - they are mostly copies of copies of copies or poorly strewn together theories by intermediate writer-marketers ..

So I ask... what was truly masterful, what made you go, "ooh, now I get it" ..and your earnings jumped with your realization?

Please share, what helped the most about the hub/hubber

..Easy to understand language?
    ..Entertaining voice?
    ..Formulaic approach?
    ..Recommended software/literature?
    ..etc.

1. warchild75 profile image63
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Didnt learn from one person in particular as i just scoured the forums and hubs to find my advice but i must say that if im going to single anyone out that has contributed to my sucess then i would say Nelle Hoxie.

2. jasoncox83 profile image61
      jasoncox83posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Personally I spent the better part of 2 weeks, from sunup to sundown researching, asking questions, reading, studying etc until I just recently had a good grasp on it...After way too many "unpaid" hours of working :p

3. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really hate mentioning another site, because I love Hubpages. The blog over at Infobarrel has an interview with a guy that has 400 and some articles and earns $3000 a month. He has some good stuff that I hadn't heard before. Here is the link www.infobarrel.com/blog/  He really has SEO down.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Most of what I learnt was trial and error and small things I picked up from a whole lot of hubs.

However Susanna S and Darkside have some good, easy to understand stuff.

sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank You,

exact specific examples if possible.

Your referencing two hubbers with rather large portfolios

3. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

Darkside is a really good hubber to ask for that kind of advice. They are extremely knowledgeable. 

Chuck is another good one to ask or check out.

4. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I've read all of Peter Hoggans ones that he has listed on his profile page - http://hubpages.com/profile/Peter+Hoggan they are related to seo and others are spot on, twas good reading!! and I enjoyed reading it as it was like a course and I think it was! jolly good stuff!

5. liljen23 profile image75
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

I have a list of hubbers that helped me with keywords like:

Susana S.
    Rebecca E.
    Mark Knowles
    Alison Graham
    Misha
    SunSeven
    Ryankett
    Darkside

All of them had different ways to explain about keywords and how to make money with them. There were times I had to learn on my own but these hubbers gave me some great tips and I want to say thank you.. Really appreciate it.. smile

This may sound harsh, but my purpose is to make my small contribution to fixing the issue of poor keyword selection methods.

You showed your traffic stats in an earlier thread, unfortunately, they do not reflect that you have absorbed keyword research methods, Im trying to figure out how this happens and what makes people go "ding"..now I get it!"

I dont think your at that point, quite yet. All great writers in your list though and certainly it will all kick into place soon.

1. liljen23 profile image75
        liljen23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sunforged,

I am still learning at keywords but I will say that since I have "absorbed" a few methods my traffic and earnings have increased. I always complete researches before I write a hub and that is the reason why my traffic is increasing. I might not be the "expert" at keywords but I feel I am on the right track.. There are still some things I am working on as far as keywords to increase my traffic. I also found out that you can have the best keywords and still don't have any traffic.. It takes time.. Thanks for your reply.. smile smile

"I also found out that you can have the best keywords and still don't have any traffic"

Then your definition of "best" is far different then my own.

Maybe, that is something that is something worth examining - what does "best/good/conquerable" keyword mean?

But, I wish you all the best and didnt want you to feel as if I was jumping on you.It looks likes your efforts are all working out for you.

Im just looking for those who clearly crossed the line to try and recognize how they crossed the line so maybe we can share it around to others. Its a shame when people put tons of effort (years even) into their work only to get the same returns that someone keyed into proper keyword selection within a week.

1. liljen23 profile image75
            liljen23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sunforged, it's ok and you are absolutely right when it comes to the comparison of the ones that put a lot into keyword research and the ones that don't that seem to get ahead easily. It seems a bit unfair and almost like cheating but hey it isn't about that.

6. sunforged profile image71

Thanks again..

Unfortunately, the combined portfolio of the suggested hubbers numbers in the thousands ..

so apparently, no "specific" hub has saved a spot in your minds?

So for Hubbers I have:

Susana S.
    Rebecca E.
    Mark Knowles
    Alison Graham
    Misha
    SunSeven
    Ryankett
    Darkside
    Peter Hoggan

(many of these have written on SEO topics..but specifically KEYWORD selection? .. at a level that made you go "ooh, now I get it"?

Misha has a small enough portfolio to quickly find his hub:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Google-Keyword-Tool-Redefined

now, this a very good resource, but it doesnt show you How to select keywords it references multiple tools and services that can assist you (all very good, i may add)

It does reference this by Peter Hoggan
    http://hubpages.com/hub/seo-keyword-research

Which is the type of hub I was expecting to be referenced.

So any specific hubs along that vein?

It seems like I just got a list of hubbers who write well and have used the word "keyword'!

7. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/Publishing-Advi … ent1924543  and if you don't like that one, Chuck has about 10 more on keywords.

I want to know what worked for you! If that made your head go "ding" then thats the one I want to read.

8. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I still don't think that my head has truly gone 'ding'. I seem to have picked up a bit of natural instinct, but I would benefit on reading further so I will watch this thread with interest.

I am currently utilising a free trial of Market Samurai, this is where I find out whether I truly have a clue...

Sometimes I get it right, but I certainly cant explain why I get it wrong about 40% of the time.... well, I can, its because I could learn more.... I am actually better at utilising tagging in order to win second hand internal traffic then I am at consistantly winning search engine traffic. Although maybe I am being an incy wincey bit modest, I am getting 21000 page views per day, I must be doing something right at least...

And I have never written a hub about keywords wink I write plenty about backlinking, but never about keywords. I found Darksides hubpage on the topic very helpful, I cant remember which one, but if you type 'keywords' in the search box it comes up on the first page.

I would find it for you, if only I wasn't about to go to sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

9. lisabeaman profile image68
    lisabeamanposted 13 years ago

My guess is that what makes one reader go "ding" would make another one go, "huh?" I've been trying to read lots of things from several experienced hubbers and I've picked up useful pieces from each. I keep my eye on Darkside's the most. He really seems to know what he's doing. (Marisa Wright is good to, but I don't know if she has any that are specific to keywords)

10. PaulaHenry1 profile image64
    PaulaHenry1posted 13 years ago

Gosh, if we are saying thank yous, I guess I would have to say (sorry if I miss you or misspell you)Cagsil,Darkside,raynket,webmaster(or something to that effect) and many forum ?'s answered....everyone is great and I learn something new each day by having them here.....

11. sunforged profile image71
  12. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 13 years ago

livewithrichard in his Hub

Keywords - Tips and Tools for Finding and Using Relevant Keywords

I still hem haw research think ponder stop hit a wall and feel like I am in perpetual keyword hell . ..

and then I go back again and try to read some more. . take notes in my notebook hoping that writing it with a pen will embed itself on, in or even somewhere near my brain !

So bottom line is my head hasnt gone ding yet but the above mentioned Hub was basic and broke it down a bit for me to have some light bulb go off.

And of course the 60dc helped me stay within a niche to feel as if I had some boundaries to stay within in choosing a keyword.

Market Samurai doesnt hurt either!

13. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think it's a continual learning process, especially for those of us who do not write full time online. I don't know if I can say, the  'ding' has dung?

when I first started, I had no idea what all the terms meant. my oldest son helped me some with keywords.
    I read all of darkside's 'how to' hubs. also when I started he was very active in the Help forums and I read his posts.
    Paul Edmonson has some very simple, concise hubs about keywords, writing for search engines, evergreen topics. Those have also helped me.
    your hubs have helped. mark knowles. I've also read livewithrichard's keywords hub which is helpful.

if a hub is too techie, I don't read it, or if it's too long. the well organized, concise hubs work best for me.
    I will also read hubs from some of my favorite top hubbers to observe the layout, the keywords and tags, headings, etc.

I don't generally read all of the 'how to make money' hubs. I've read some, but they all seem to say the same thing.

14. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

MY ANSWER IS: NONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep waiting for one of those selfish bastards to help me.  I don't even care which one.  Sunforged, Darkside, Misha, Edweirdo, Relache, Nellie Hoxie, Marisa Wright, Patty Inglish... the list is really long to be honest.  I sit here almost every night thinking, You know, if <insert hubber name> would just kick down five or eight really profitable keywords/phrases I would own hubpages for money making but they never do.  None of them.  So, my answer is NO ONE. NO ONE has helped me with keyword research.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's actually very cool.  In both content and delivery.

2. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

15. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

The two things gave me a "bing!" moment were this Hub by Susana S:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Long-Tail-Keywords-SEO

and Ryan's Youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIAh9uCt4c

Having said that, I'm not putting it into practice very effectively - apart from tweaking my titles on existing Hubs, which is making a big difference in some cases.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Marisa wright
      How do you tweak titles on existing hubs , can you give some info on this please. I need to learn so much more ........my head goesbuzzzzzzzzz

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you watch the video I linked to, it explains how to work out what words to use. 

Then you just edit your Hub, and change the title.  You can't change the URL but that's not a huge deal.

1. sofs profile image77

That was so simple, I've done that in a hub but thought that it wasn't  a big deal because the  URL remained the same. So here I go now to work,  thank you Marisa Wright. You are a great help.

2. sunforged profile image71

I like that video, I use it in  a lot of my hubs rather than actually explain any keyword concepts myself smile

Susana's hub is stellar, I have that one bookmarked myself.

3. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That YouTube clip was the first thing that taught me about Keyword selection too.

I like to think that my methods are at least a little more advanced now, but that was a very good starting point.

16. SiddSingh profile image61
    SiddSinghposted 13 years ago

Great list Sidd!

I had never seen Darksides "three" - thats a very concise yet informative hub and it focuses on Keywords.

http://hubpages.com/hub/three

Peters SEO Keyword Research is spot on and packed with info

The rest are seo optimization and promotion related but is definitely a strong list!

*newhubbersshouldread*

17. JulieBMack profile image58
    JulieBMackposted 13 years ago

I don't know about Hubbers here since I am so new to Hubpages.  But, there is a lot of information out there on keyword and SEO.  But, I did like this hub for a thorough explanation. SEO Keyword Research

That is 3 mentions! ..a must read.

18. Aiden Roberts profile image69
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

Thank you for starting this thread, by default it has doubled my reading list "Ding".

I am absolutely useless at keyword research, using google keyword tool is driving me to distraction and even when I think I have grasped it my head goes from "Ding" to "Dong" when I realise I have managed to identify the lowest paying keyword that has the most competition that no one is actually searching for.

I have read a fair amount about keyword research and tools in various Hubs, all of them teach me something but none have blown my mind. I will read the others listed here and wait for my mini brain explosion.

Here is my most useful so far:

Mark Knowles
    http://hubpages.com/hub/make-money-onli … d-research

I am also a big fan of yourself of course, Cagsil, Darkside, Ryankett, Susana S.

Wow, I hadnt seen that one before either..

another must read.

19. sunforged profile image71

hmm..a little nugget of gold spills out from HP ..

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/49651?p … ost1144377

(good info for site owners)

20. rmcrayne profile image89
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

I haven't read the "Eureka!" hub on keywords yet.  Though darkside's hub on useless keyword victories was a different kind of eureka.  I post the link fairly often in the HubMob thread.  HubMobsters usually make no acknowledgement of it, or get offended that I rained on their celebration.

http://hubpages.com/hub/celebrating-use … -victories

21. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

I have found that there are a lot of hubbers who I would class as the quiet achievers.

They keep a low profile, have dedicated hubpages that are a learning experience to read. Some of the simple techniques they talk about with keyword research would normally cost a lot of money to buy, especially if it was a WSO.

I recall a few years ago there was one, Knight Rider or the Ghost Writer or something similar, that came onto the forum and blew us away with his wisdom. He no longer seems to be a member here.

Writing about keyword research can be quite lonely sometimes.

http://imgn.dt07.net/823/823762_b.jpg

22. Aiden Roberts profile image69
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

And definately this one by Peter Hoggan

I have just come as close to a "Ding" as I have ever been

4 mentions!

23. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

You know it's hard to remember all the hubs that have helped me learn about keyword research, there have been so many, but my latest ding moment was with Misha's hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/Google-Keyword-Tool-Redefined

First off it opened my eyes to using google search assist to find potential keywords, then it inspired me to look for very high volume search terms - over 200,000 per month. I realised I could aim higher and that high volume doesn't always equal high competition. There are massive volume search terms out there that have very little comp.

All of Peter Hoggan's hubs are good too: his 12 hub SEO course is great http://hubpages.com/profile/Peter+Hoggan

I don't know if anyone has written about using google insights for search, but I use that tool quite a bit too.

1. sofs profile image77

Thanx to you Sunforged for starting this thread, this has become like a easy reference library!!
      Great work everyone for contributing and making life easy for newbies like me.

twas the plan

24. Dale Nelson profile image39
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

Hi Sunforged.

I just put together a hub that explains how i find untapped niche markets for longtails Called Hubpages and my secret traffic tools.

When I started,there is a site called Nicks Traffic Tricks.com
    and a as far as hubbers go. Mark knowles has an interesting one about hubpages income. Ryan Kett is really knowledgable as well as Nelle Hoxie who provides regular updates on her goals and results. I read a few by Dawei 888 that were helpful and Relache has good advice.Darkside has some excellent Capstone hub explanations and has a great format of writing in his Roman era hubs.SunSeven has a great style with links in hubs and you may want to check Rebecca E and Frogdroppings style.

Great!

Except - completely irrelevant.

Part of the problem seems to be, many  cant differentiate between the very distinct steps of keyword research , promotion tricks and seo optimization and whatever other random stuff you have just listed.

25. Alison Graham profile image95
    Alison Grahamposted 13 years ago

This is a very interesting thread.  I would just like to add that like Ryan, I have been using the free trial of Market Samurai and also the free version of Traffic Travis - I have only had about an hour this weekend to try Traffic Travis but it does look promising.  I also learned some useful Keyword Research information from Shane Melaugh's free videos that he is giving away as part of the launch of his Backlink Battleplan course. 

I have tried to incorporate what I have learned into my strategy for keyword research but the problem I have found is that the same keyword phrase appears to give different results in different keyword research software.

At the moment, I'm afraid I am finding it all a bit 'smoke and mirrors'!

LOL,

I wish I had an explanation -  I use MNF , MS and occasionally TTpro.

They rarely agree ..and they aint perfect but its what we got

I also use IBP which is a $500 program and it doesnt agree with the others either!

1. Alison Graham profile image95
        Alison Grahamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that info sunforged, keyword research is a fairly mind numbing business and although it is not good to find the different programs disagree, it is comforting to know it is not just me! I find it very frustrating when one program suggests it is a relatively easy keyword to rank for and other says it isn't!  I think I am beginning to work out my own way of doing things though and setting my own criteria.

26. englightenedsoul profile image60
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

@ Sunforged

How do you understand the reports of IBP and really it contradicts MS on many things.  I have free trial of IBP on my computer and once I had full access to IBP as one of my friend from U.K. who makes his living online uses it.  He seems to like IBP.

Is it really worth the money SF and do they fulfill their promise.  I guess they promise page 1 ranking for any keyword?

27. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

So Post Panda - Are there any hubs you would recommend now? ..

28. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I have read 100s of hubs and web pages and tried to apply the principle, pre and post Panda.

I have also spent over $1000 on courses to try and learn how this works.

I am still getting 20 or less views per day to my web sites and all my hubs except one.

I thought I could use the web to set up some income that would help compensate for the fact I have hardly any pension to expect.

2 years later, I have now given up and am preparing to face utter poverty in my old age.

29. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I'm too lazy to do keyword research.

However, I did read a very recent book:

Keyword Intelligence: Keyword Research for Search, Social, and Beyond by Ron Jones (1118061837 at Amazon)
    Amazon Price: $22.21

I did write a review of it too, but honestly just go to Amazon and take a look.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)