CoinStar at Walmart

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. American_Choices profile image79
    American_Choicesposted 13 years ago

Has anyone used Coinstar at Walmart?  Did you see a price before using the machine?  I hunted and hunted but to no avail - please help - is it just me - did I miss the price of changing money from coin to currency?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

9% - I am amazed any one is stupid enough to use those things. sad

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
        I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It could be worth it if your time is valuable and you've got a lot of change you don't feel like rolling yourself. I mean, if you've got a few jars full of money and it's going to take you a couple hours to count and roll $200 worth of it, and even then you've got to take those rolls to the bank to exchange for paper money, it might be worth paying CoinStar $18 to take care of that for you. If you've got young kids it would probably be more beneficial to teach them how to roll it (and maybe pay them 5%). They can learn how to count money and also the value of saving (those quarters add up quickly).

Realistically - people who are shopping in Wal Mart and needing to spend their coin collection probably need the 9%. And you don't change it for paper money - you get a store credit. Just another way Wal Mart supports the community. wink

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
            Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its exchanged for U.S. currency where I live.

You have obviously never used on of these machines. It spits out a piece of paper that you can spend in the store.

Or - go find some one who will exchange it for US currency. lol

As usual your contrary position is contrary for the sake of being contrary, TK Sensei.

I have used them and they do indeed spit out a piece of paper which you take to customer service and exchange for CASH.

I am not TK sensei I am Jim Hunter.

As for being contrary I admit to that but its because you happen to be wrong.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
                  Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dude, they're going to gang up on you to write another hub soon! big_smile

They are very important people.

Just ask them.

2. habee profile image94
                habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We have a local grocery store that charges 8% and gives you a receipt to take to the service desk, where you exchange the paper for U.S. dollars.

2. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use the one at my bank, it's free!

2. Ron Montgomery profile image58
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Many savings and loans offer the use of these machines for free, even to people without accounts.

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I am completely mystified by people's willingness to give away their money like that. How does anyone think that trading $100 for $91 is a good idea?

I pointed this out to a woman once as she and her kid were about to pour two giant jars of coins into one of those. She looked at me like I was from Mars and said, "Then what am I supposed to do with it?"

I was just, like, wow.

I swear, every day that movie Idiocracy gets truer and truer.

4. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Still, folks...  Everyone on earth - or, at least, everyone in the western world - makes decisions about what they are willing to pay someone else (or some machine) to do.  In a high percentage of cases, it is something that the person could do on their on, if they absolutely had to.  Some people will pay (a person or a machine) to have their cars washed, or to have someone mow their lawn, or to cater a party, or to make their clothes.  And they will think nothing of doing so.

I agree that 9% sounds outrageously high.  But the machine did cost money, didn't it?  And the fact that Wal-Mart will issue store credit is a decent alternative.

I would never use one of those machines.  I enjoy the process of rolling coins, in a Zen sort of way.  But there are other things that I am happy to pay someone else to do - or to have someone pay me to do for them. big_smile  big_smile 

So what, if some person makes that choice about rolling coins?  If they ask "What am I supposed to do with it?", then simply tell them of their options.  Education includes life skills too, right?

5. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Geez and I have two China jars here with coins. I just let it sit here, it is heavy, it keeps on adding though.

6. Bill Manning profile image66
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

It depends on what it's worth to you. People spend $6.00 or more each day on toll roads. It's stupid, but their time is worth it for them.

Others spend 10 bucks a day in parking garages when they can park for free if they want to walk a half mile. It's stupid, but it's worth their time plus they get to keep all their hard earned fat. big_smile

So it depends on what it's worth to you personally. smile

7. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

its my understanding that if you choose the option to get cash then you receive a voucher good for cash at the register or customer service counter - less a 8.9% counting fee.

You can alternately choose the gift card option that includes options such as amazon,walmart and itunes - you then pay no counting fee.

there is even a third option to donate the money to charity.

These are all coinstar options and have nothing to do with walmart. Coinstar actually owns redbox and probably has some special agreement with walmart and their machines located on walmart properties may have additional restrictions.

I wouldnt know as I make a point of not going to walmart and tend to leave all my loose change in couches and car seats.

8. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I have used Coin star in the past. If you do the cash option, you should get a slip to take to a cashier. The amount you have been charged for using the machine when you cash in coins should be on the slip. But, the cashier usually takes the slip when you cash it in, so check it before you cash it, and it should tell you.

We had one at my previous employer, and they came up with a paycheck plus card, so they can receive their paycheck through coinstar at no extra cost. But, the gift cards and stuff other people have mentioned was not on the coin star machine we had.

It's very funny, we actually had a Minister come in from a local Church with 3 huge tubs filled to the top with change. I saw him over there with his kids. I told him he should take the money to the bank. It was a huge amount. They had to empty and reset the machine 3 times from his coins.

He came through my lane, and one of his slips had coin star charge of $185.00. Of of course had to send him to the service desk, because I didn't have enough cash in my drawer to cash it.
    (It was over $1,000.00) They claim he turned in slips at more then $6,000.00 with all those coins. WOW!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)