Another PC attack

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (33 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'm sure you've already read about this. Now we're not supposed to say "illegal immigrant." What should we call immigrants who enter this country illegally - uninvited guests? Surprise visitors? Party crashers?

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The very phrase disgusts me! They are people for Pete's sake. They should be treated with dignity and respect. From now on they will be known as;
      "People indiginous to neighboring countries, who by povertous default abide within United States borders as ambasaders of good will, who are under no legal obligation to learn our language or pay taxes."

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can you give us a shorter version of that, Onus?

1. profile image0
          Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok how about an acronym. Something like;
          Semi
          Legal
          Alien
          Guests

2. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Seriously? This cannot be for real!

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

uninvited aliens, for tax purposes tongue

4. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

I hadn't and Googled it and found out why: it's a non-story.

One guy wants to change the name from "illegal immigrant" to "undocumented immigrant." Nope, it's not Obama. It's not Pelosi. It's not any of the other people the right loves to demonize these days.
    http://sdrostra.com/?p=11155

I'm sure I can find some right-winger that wants it changed to "target practice." Should we get outraged over that, too?

Let's try to research before reacting to whatever the right-wing media insists we get the old pitchforks and torches out for... wink

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Enter the new 'Outrage of the Day'. This one is a false alarm. Perhaps they are getting tired of it. I heard a major radio station canceled Glen Back for poor ratings. One can hope it's a trend that people are getting tired of the schtick. But I  am ever the optomist.

1. habee profile image92

Really? I wish Beck would go away.

2. habee profile image92

I would hope if a group of right-wingers wanted to call them "target practice," we'd all be outraged!

3. habee profile image92

Only ONE person, LL? There were more than one member of the journalists' group supporting it on TV.

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What show?

That link I provided made it clear it was the opinion of one person, and not the SPL.

1. habee profile image92

This quote is all over the web, in numerous articles:

"In the latest issue of SPJ’s magazine ‘Quill’, SPJ’s Diversity Committee member Leo Laurence writes about the campaign, referencing the National Association of Hispanic Journalists’ recommendation to use “undocumented immigrant” or “undocumented worker” and to “[a]void using ‘illegal(s)’ as a noun.”

"SPJ’s Diversity Committee met during the 2010 convention in Las Vegas and decided to engage in a yearlong educational campaign designed to inform and sensitize journalists as to the best language to use when writing and reporting on undocumented immigrants," wrote Laurence."

LL, this was started by one man, Laurence, and the SPJ has not taken an official stand one way or the other. But according to Laurence on the Quill website, it has been taken up by George Daniels, chairman of the Diversity Committe of SPJ:

"It was based on our federal, constitutional principle that everyone is considered innocent of any crime until proven guilty in a court of law. The proposed Diversity Committee resolution urged journalists to use the phrase “undocumented immigrant(s), and avoid both “illegal immigrant” or “illegal alien.”

That “sparked an engaging discussion,” according to committee chairman George Daniels. One of two action steps the committee identified is for SPJ “to engage in a yearlong education campaign designed to inform and sensitize journalists to the best language when writing and reporting on persons from different cultures and backgrounds,” Daniels wrote in an e-mail."

Evidently, not all the journalists have jumped on the bandwagon, but there's more than one lone voice at work now. That is, if Laurence is telling the truth. And you don't think a professional journalist would lie, do you? lol

Am I missing something?

The diversity committee of one particular journalists' group had a lively discussion about using different terminology. This wasn't even sanctioned by this particular journalists' group.

When I googled this, it was only covered by right-wing blogs and news outlets (i.e. Fox and its affiliates).

Honestly, I'm not seeing it.

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I heard some major group of journalists touting it - some organization of journalists - on TV. I was on the puter at the time, so I didn't SEE it, just heard it. I don't know if the TV was on FOX or CNN.

Found it: Society of Professional Journalists.

When I first read the title, I thought someone was mauled by their Dell.

1. habee profile image92

LOL!!

2. profile image0
        SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too.  tongue  lol

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What?

"PC attack" = mauled by their Dell.

Forget it - if I have to explain it, then I probably blew it....

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

The "what" was for Holle.  Her husband keeps Faux News going 24/7! LOL!

1. habee profile image92

But he's not home 24/7 because he has a job. I usually watch CNN.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

So it was on CNN?

1. habee profile image92

As I stated, I don't know what it was on. I was in the office. That's why I went to the Quill website to search for the truth. Of course, when you're dealing with journalists, that isn't always easy to discern! lol

2. Pandoras Box profile image60
            Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah so that's where they all come from. Explains alot.

6. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

You shouldn't say "illegal immigrant"!

Immigration to this country requires certain actions of people that haven't been completed.  They are citizens of a different country that are here illegally.  They are thus "illegal aliens".

I agree. Alien, of course, has been tarnished by this guy:
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4368253_f248.jpg

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Be careful - you will end up on the PC carpet for profiling! lol

7. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Since when do Faux News or the right-wingers care about being PC (politically correct, not personal computers)?

8. tlpoague profile image82
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

The title threw me off for a second. I thought someone else was having problems with their comp and wanted to see what the issue was.
    Boy did I step in some stuff...
    I must of missed a memo somewhere about the re-naming of the optomistic traveler for a right to tax purposes.
    or whatever the topic was.
    (I am having a bad case of the sneezes and CRS.)

9. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I hate political correctness.  To me it appears as if African American or Colored is more racist than the word black.  IF you are digging that deep in to it then you are obviously noticing the difference. 

We should be promoting indifference, not tolerance.

As someone who has legally emigrated to America I would be like to be called a documented resident overload alien.

1. habee profile image92

A DROA, Oli?? lol

10. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

And i thought this thread was about malware or virus attack on PC tongue

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)