Hubbers You Follow

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

Prompted by this thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/66024?p … ost1449521, I'd be interested to know if it would be possible to have a feature that tells us how many Hubbers we are following.

2. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 13 years ago

All there needs to be is some data to be displayed in this page http://hubpages.com/my/favorites after this "Hubbers You Are Following".

It's easy enough for me to do a quick count. I think if a person has a very long list that's difficult to count then perhaps they've been following people for the wrong reason.

1. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that would seem the ideal place to display that data.

I'm not sure if reasons for following is quite relevant to my question, but this could be a useful feature for some, as mentioned in the thread that prompted my question.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I have to say I concur with darkside.  If you can't count how many people you are following, it seems that you may not have genuine reasons for doing so.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this for the most part-- but also think it is ok to follow someone who seems to have promise, just to encourage them a bit.
      The numbers of followers or followees is not important. But, sometimes, a little encouragement makes a difference and helps people improve.

2. camlo profile image85

Well, according to HubPages, this is the genuine reason for following:

You should only follow people who you have a genuine interest in keeping up with. By following a Hubber you are saying that their activity on HubPages is noteworthy or interesting to you. Following excessively or indiscriminately may result in a low Hubber score.

Is there something wrong with genuinely finding the activities of more than about two dozen Hubbers noteworthy or interesting? Is there something particularly good about following as few Hubbers as possible? I'd be interested to know.

I, personally, follow a few too many to want to count manually, should I ever want or need to know how many I follow, but I've certainly never followed excessively (as in having 'following sprees'), nor have I followed indiscriminately (as in having 'following sprees').

From the thread I've linked to above, it seems as though some Hubbers might find a feature that tells us how many Hubbers we are following useful and/or interesting, which is why I've suggested it.

3. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really?

You don't think there are more than a small handful of people worth reading?

I follow 189 people.  If they all hubbed every day, I would have to cut back, but as they do not, I don't find it particularly onerous to follow their writing, especially considering that even though I might read Joe's hub on X, I may not bother with his next hub on Y because I have no interest in Y.

1. camlo profile image85

No, I've never been overwhelmed either by the amount of Hubs those I am following write.

4. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 13 years ago

There are some who follow hundreds, if not thousands. That's the ones I'm talking about.

5. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

Camlo, here is a tip:

Visit: http://hubpages.com/my/favorites

Then press: ctrl+F

Then type: quit following

The number it shows is the number of people you are following.

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WOW! That is clever UH!!

2. camlo profile image85

That really is a great tip. I actually downloaded Google Chrome to see how it works, which is the only browser it seems to work on.
      It would be good if there were something for those who don't (for whatever reason) use Chrome.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
        Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you are rite Camlo. It wouldn't take a lot of work to add this feature.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I feel I follow too few, given the number of people who have followed me.  I 'follow' less than ten I think.  Rarely do I visit their hubs, but I do check the daily email to see if anything interests me.

I spend more time looking at the Hot Hubs pages to see what people are writing about, sometimes read an article.

tbh I'm not really here for reading, more for writing.  Following a few gave me an idea of what to aim at - content, layout.

1. camlo profile image85

I also give my Hubs a lot of thought. Unfortunately, with my very heavy schedule, I only have about two periods each year when I can give my Hubs the amount of thought required to make them worth writing. So, for the rest of the time, I'm kept here by being able to read the interesting Hubs others write, participating in the Forums which can be fun and/or extrememly interesting, and interacting with some of the gret people I've met here.
      If it weren't for those things, I'd probably have completely stopped hubbing sometime last January and forgotten about HubPages altogether.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hear what you're saying, and the Hubpage community element is brilliant.  Forums are fun, people are nice, and of course there are some terrific hubs to be read.

Although I may just look and act like an ego person though I do have a motive above that, which is to try and build an alternate income.  So rather than playing I need to work, or at least write, which isn't really working but...

1. camlo profile image85

Your doing absolutely the right thing, Mark, as far as your needs are concerned. If I had the time, I'd be doing much more writing on HubPages and far fewer of the other things (I'm in the middle of writing a seminar paper on Wera Sassulitsch in German right now, and it's my time off!).
          There's something for all of us here, which is one of the things that make it so good. There's nothing wrong with your way, nor mine. We do what we can. smile

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
          Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Being a member of such an amazing community, I can't keep myself from following a couple hundred people. We have some great writers here who write interesting hubs.

7. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I follow very few - so I can easily see who's doing what. As for encouraging hubbers - I don't feel the need to follow them to do that. I leave them a comment, or communicate with them via the forum.

Having been a part of the Hubgreeting program for some time - the amount of encouragment offered is not equal to those that actually respond to it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)