Do you follow someone without reading his/her article or profile?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. breathing profile image50
    breathingposted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5286322_f248.jpg
    Before following someone, at least you should read his/her hub or profile. I think, there are many reason rather than his or her beautiful face to follow him/her.

1. CWanamaker profile image95
      CWanamakerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I only like to follow people who have Hubs that are interesting to me.  I never follow anyone without first reading what they've posted. All it takes is one good hub that I like and I will follow them. I like checking my email in the evening and seeing all the great new hubs that have been posted. I do try and read some of them, but there isn't enough time in the day to read them all.

1. kenneth avery profile image80
        kenneth averyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

CWanamaker...that describe me too. I think it is a gesture of respect to first read the potential hubber that you want to follow or you want to be their follower. I still believe in the old vehicles of manners and respect.

2. noenhulk profile image60
      noenhulkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I find the hub interesting, no need to read all his hub to follow him. Same here as other hubbers answer.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I only follow people whose hubs I like. That doesn't mean however that I read everything they write. Same with me, I have a large number of followers who don't read everything I write.

But I agree, at least find out who the person is and what they write before following them.

3. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I usually end up following starting out in the forums...

4. G Miah profile image78
    G Miahposted 12 years ago

I follow people who follow me as a courtesy, but only people who are regular hubbers. I also follow people who's work i find interesting and are useful to me aswell.

I do not believe in following someone who's avatar is attractive.

breathingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But I think, beautiful and attractive face is a big factor for following someone. You may called this... X-Factor.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But you have no idea if that is the person or not

Yes, you are absolutely right. But I wanted to say that people attracted by that.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're following for the wrong reasons, then.  This is not Facebook.  A follower is not a friend. 

If you follow people out of politeness or because you think they look cool, you'll soon find your follow lists gets totally out of control - and as Peter says, you run the risk of being penalized.  If HubPages thinks you're following indiscriminately, they'll cut your score.

5. justateacher profile image84
    justateacherposted 12 years ago

I have always read the hub before I follow anyone - even if they are already following me. I always read the people who follow me, and so far, they have all been great hubs, and I have followed them. I hope that they have all read what I have written...
    I also follow people who don't follow me because I have "hopped" to their hub...

6. breathing profile image50
    breathingposted 12 years ago

Most of the people find beautiful face. But very few of them find the right thing good quality.

7. tarrka1089 profile image61
    tarrka1089posted 12 years ago

A connection, be it shared humor, attitude, or interesting hubs, is the reason I follow fellow hubbers.  It just happens that it is also a courtesy as they usually follow mine, as well.  Definitely more meaningful for me, and hopefully for those who follow Teddy and me.

8. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

no I usually look over the profiles and read some hubs before deciding..

1. sasta10 profile image61
      sasta10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, do glance at the profile and look at the numbers of hubs they have.  I think if someone has more than 50 hubs then they are serious hubbers and they will have quality content.  If someone follows me then I also follow them as I want to be as much friendly as possible with people, i see it as a way of saying thank you for following me and it also helps the hub community to grow and get more interactive.  Thanks.

It seems me that, yours one is the best comment yet. No doubt you have a good habit. ("I want to be as much friendly as possible with people.") I just like your speech. Thanks.

2. Stacie L profile image87
        Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well since you have 48, you are not a serious hubber? LOL
        smile

9. Peter Owen profile image61
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

Don't even think of following people without reading their hubs.
    I ruined my hubscore doing this and I shared this in a hub I wrote called How New Hubbers Ruin Their Hubscore.

10. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I never have. I follow people becaus eI am interested in their chosen topics  for their hubs (eg. this hubbers favourite topics are...) and waht they say are their background in their bio.

11. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Well, the picture there is what brought me to this forum. . . .It's an attention grabbing sort.

Honestly, I've know LOTS of truly beautiful women - but women that attractive. . .often just don't WANT to use their picture online because they KNOW what sort of attraction it causes.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But you do realise, that photo isn't a photo of the actual Hubber, it's a model.

12. profile image0
    Binaya.Ghimireposted 12 years ago

I follow new hubbers without reading his/her article or profile, just to encourage them. During my early days so many hubbers had encouraged me so I have that responsibility. For older hubbers, I first read their work, write some comments and then click the follow link. Sometimes, when I read interesting profile and exciting hub title, I follow without reading the hubs.

13. Danette Watt profile image84
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

I 'discover' hubbers new to me by hub hopping, through forums or by a comment someone left on a hub I'm commenting on. But I don't follow someone indiscriminately, whether or not they are following me. I read their profile and a few hubs before I decide to follow or not.

After that, I may not read every one of their hubs, but do try to read enough to keep up the 'relationship.'

14. Mavhe Quijada profile image60
    Mavhe Quijadaposted 12 years ago

No. I follow someone because I find their articles interesting and learn that the hubber publishes good hubs. I follow that person because I want to be notified whenever s/he publishes new hubs or topics. If you follow people without reading their works, then you're not making sense out of that because you cannot interact with them. Interaction between hubbers is being bridged by WRITING AND READING.

1. Peter Owen profile image61
      Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mav
      You nailed it on the head

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)