Do dogs think in "barks"?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (25 posts)
  1. ParadigmShift... profile image77
    ParadigmShift...posted 15 years ago

We all know animals can be trained and learn commands. But how do they think? Do they think at all? Can they think ahead? Contemplate? And in what language?

1. Tater2tot profile image58
      Tater2totposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea! That is an interesting question. I mean the learn commands in English but I guess everyone can learn what to do from words in a different language. I am pretty sure that the DO think but I don't know how.

That reminds me, how do babies think? They don't know any language yet but somehow they do think? Right?

1. ParadigmShift... profile image77
        ParadigmShift...posted 15 years agoin reply to this

They must! Also, I just remembered my wife's cousin has a dog with her boyfriend who is deaf. The dog is a female pit bull named "two" and she understands commands in sign language! So I wonder, when she thinks of sitting, does she think of the "sign" or the actual activity? hmmm....

2. oxymoron profile image57
      oxymoronposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good question. I think they must think. Sometimes we don't need a language for thinking, just some feeling. Then, we shape up with words. So, I feel dogs do think smile

2. Lidian profile image67
    Lidianposted 15 years ago

I think that they probably do...our cats think in meows. Really, one of them 'talks' all the time and you can really understand what she is on about (she is often complaining about not getting gourmet cuisine!)

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

I had a dog I'm pretty sure understood about a hundred words. I would say animals think in images.

1. quensday profile image69
      quensdayposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Any living thing has to be able to think.  Any organism has to constantly evaluate its environment to some degree just to survive. I would say that dogs process concepts, but it's probably not as advanced as human processing because we have a detailed system of symbols to reflect our constant understanding of the world. As far as language goes, they are possibly more sensitive to physical interaction and understand communication that way.

4. byee profile image78
    byeeposted 15 years ago

Think of how you think, and take a very small fraction of that.  I think dogs have very short memories, but they do remember cause-effect situations, which controls behavior.  However they do not have "symbolic capacity" like humans do--we can take a rock and realize that it can be used as a tool (chimps can do that too).  Dogs use their instincts and senses mostly.

5. knolyourself profile image60

Actually dogs never forget. If my dog saw a rabbit in a certain place, that dog would go to that spot for years looking for that rabbit.

6. ureckifix profile image59
    ureckifixposted 15 years ago

Dogs do think
    Just sit and watch one some time.
    my question is how do they think , I know that they have a pecking order in the wild and domestic dogs still have that ingrained in them. so they think in the pack form.
    Alpha Male
    Alpha Female
    A dog can be trained with the repetitive command and praise.
    but that give no insight into how they think.
    A site I found and never bookmarked said that dogs use there minds eye.???

7. dingdong profile image58
    dingdongposted 15 years ago

Well, what if they think? tongue

8. knolyourself profile image60

If animals can think then it is more difficult to treat them
    as commodities. Can't have that.

9. dizongroup profile image41
    dizongroupposted 15 years ago

They don't think in barks, and this is why I think so. I have 2 female dogs. One is a  APBT. The other one is a Staffordshire bull terrier. They know exactly when I'm going to take them for a walk, or put eye drops in their eyes, or ear drops....AND they know this without me telling them verbally...I only have to think it and they react accordingly, excited for the walk or play time, or running and hiding when I just think about eye or ear drops. LOL

10. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 15 years ago

Bwahahahaha!

I was thinking the same thing whilst sat on the toilet...get in there dude!
    Great minds think alike!

11. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

Animals can 'learn'. They can respond to a certain command or stimulus for a reward. They can use prior experiences and some sort of 'reasoning' to solve a problem or reach a reward. Many species obviously have a 'language' that communicates basic emotions like distress, pleasure, pain...  I "think" that some of these qualities indicate  'thought'.

Chimps have been taught sign language which they have used to communicate new ideas-- not just ones that they imitate or learn.

So my  answer would be:" Maybe."

12. oxymoron profile image57
    oxymoronposted 15 years ago

Great views! smile

13. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 15 years ago

Dogs have Ability to think and act,this has been proved, if not they would not have found their place in Police squads

1. weblog profile image57
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Agreed smile

14. webismine profile image58
    webismineposted 15 years ago

Nice cool

15. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

I don't think we give our dogs enough credit as far as language is concerned. My dogs understand just about anything. They act with compassion when I'm sad, they are full of beans when they want me to play with them, and they sure let me know in every way possible if their food or water dish needs to be refilled.
    No wonder that they're called man's best friend...in my case woman's 3 best friends

1. shibashake profile image82
      shibashakeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I so agree with you. Dogs have a lot more empathy than people do, they can easily sense emotions, however slight, in their humans. Thus while my significant other may be oblivious to my troubles, my dog will come over and put his head on my lap.

Dogs also spend much of their lives observing us; our mannerisms, routines, and quirks. They probably understand us better than we understand ourselves.

Dogs communicate better. They don't say yes when they mean no and vice versa. With a dog you always know where you stand.

Dogs I believe think in images. That is why they respond much better to hand signals than they do to verbal commands. They also have good long-term memory, but they can only associate cause and effect when they are right next to each other in time. That is why "punishing" a dog after the fact has no effect because the dog does not understand what you are punishing him for.

16. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

I have two Japanese akitas who do not bark unless they are in a pack. So I'm sure they communicate more in their actions.

1. oxymoron profile image57
      oxymoronposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good info smile

17. Random Person profile image59
    Random Personposted 15 years ago

Dog barks mean diffent things according to what they think. Understanding dog Psychology has helped me to understand what my dog needs. It is possible for dogs to learn commands in another language. My dog knows commands in German!

Sincerly,
                             Random

18. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 15 years ago

Anyone see Letterman the other night?  He had on his a show a dog that growled everytime it heard the name satan and a dog that when shown a number between 1 and 10, he'd bark the count out.  Animals are amazing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)