Which is better, blog on my website or on Blogspot

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

So, I'm building my own webpage and all that other stuff for my book (like everyone else on the planet is too). And I've been blogging about the project, but my website is up now, or nearly so. So... would I be better off moving my Blogspot blog to my new website or would I lose the benefit of having it already going on a site that has the "next blog" feature and that kind of thing?

I know I can direct people to my site from it, so I imagine that keeping existing readers won't be too hard, and new traffic will be generated by marketing efforts and word of mouth (assuming it doesn't suck). But that works on either platform. So, which, and why?

1. profile image0
      CollBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Personally I like blogspot as it's free whereas with a personal website template (as I don't have the time to build one from scratch), it's difficult to create one which has the features you get on blogspot.

The features provided are really user friendly.  If you prefer another design, it's easily available plus new features that attracts more visitors to your website than would otherwise.

Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that reply. The thing is, though, I'm not so worried about design. I've got people who will help me make it. I'm just wondering if there are signficant benefits being attached to the "machine" of Blogger/Blogspot over being a stand alone. Every entry of mine adds to their "content" rather than mine. But, if they are pushing readers to me through that "next blog" and other mechanisms I may not know about, then, that might change things. I'm hoping someone will have done all the work or already spent the time to figure out the stuff I don't want to have research on (i'm already learning how to make a website from scratch... lol).

1. tritrain profile image69
          tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are much better off with your own site.  You can use any advertisers you want with your own site.  You will probably not as much credibility  Blogger, whereas with your own site you would be seen as 'taking the plunge' and making the commitment. 

Wordpress has so many themes, plugins, and ways to tailor it that it is worth it just in those respects.

Besides, there are many reports of people's blogs on Blogger suddenly "disappearing" or being shut down.  With your own site, you completely own the content, can back it up regularly, and can move it to another host.

Use Blogger as a link back to your true blog.

Hmmm, I hadn't heard about that dissapearing thing. That's a pretty strong case right there.

2. profile image0
            CollBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Shadesbreath and Tritain, thank you for the post and responses!  Since I've had my blogger for 4 yrs now I never thought it could disappear or shut down!  Once I can see the viability of using my website's hosting company's own design template (even), I'll do that!!  I've got too much work on blogger!!

3. iQwest profile image49
            iQwestposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've setup some recent blogger blogs.  They're free and easy to setup.  Three out of the four blogs were setup for affiliate marketing and were actually performing surprisingly well for being new sites (keep reading!).

It has been about a month since my first post on each of these three blogs and I've written roughly 20 posts (about 250-500 words in length) each.  After roughly two weeks of bookmarking efforts (roughly 20 bookmark sites - Delicious, FolkD, FriendFeed, Twitter, etc.), some pages started to rank quite well.  Each site started receiving anywhere from 50 - 130 unique organic page views a day.

Now, to your point about the blogs disappearing.  My blogs haven't disappeared from being indexed.  All of the pages are indexed and each new blog post is being picked up by Google almost instantly upon being posted.  However, the organic traffic that I was receiving (again, almost none for the first two weeks than roughly 50 - 130 unique organic Google views per blog, per day, over the next two weeks, completely disappeared.

Now, about one month in, I'm lucky if I get two unique organic Google views per day.  It's unreal.  Again, my pages are all indexed, but I can't find hardly any of them after searching many pages deep.

My bookmarks on the other hand, they're placing wonderfully.  Sometimes I have two or three bookmarks on page 1 of Google (for keywords I'm optimized for), but can't find my actual blogspot post URL anywhere.

Upon researching, it seems like this may go away after time, but I'm not sure what to make of it or how to remedy it.

Anyhow, as you've noted, I wouldn't hang my hat on this strategy either since we, the blog originators, don't own the content and it can be yanked out from underneath us at a moments notice.  Blogger, like many sites, is just another method to get something going quickly with nearly zero financial resources needed, but should probably (as many Hubbers before me have already noted) be used as a supplemental method of supporting your main efforts.

Even though for me it's not about monetizing the blog itself, I do want to accumulate readers. That said, your reply sounds like another argument for moving it over to my website. Thanks for jumping in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)