WordPress, Blooger, Tumbir, or other? Which is best for blogging?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 11 years ago

WordPress, Blooger, Tumbir, or other? Which is best for blogging?

I've hard some about each site. Which do you think is best for blogging as far as ease of use, appearance, cost,etc...? What is your overall number one pick?

2. profile image0
    technibzposted 11 years ago

Tumblr is easier to use, more popular as photo blog though text, links, videos, etc are shared too, has more potential to go "viral" or popular (usually in the younger crowd). Wordpress on the other hand is better for seo. Unless you want a dedicated blog hosting for more freedom and features in Wordpress and Blogger, I don't think you should worry about cost. I should say that hosting your own domain on Tumblr is free so that's a plus. Overall, I'd pick wordpress. Tumblr is more for "fun blogging" but that could be just me. Blogger is also easy to use but your account can get banned anytime by Google.

Victoria Lynnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But how can you make money on WordPress? I've heard you can't do AdSense (at least for the free one). Do you have to pay for advertising? I do want to make money at whichever I choose.

2. profile image0
      technibzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No. That's the disadvantage. They have their separate ads program but the requirements are more strict. You have to really work on getting a good amount of traffic to your blog. If it's for earning,Blogger is the best out of the 3.Just read the terms

3. qmfaisal profile image60
    qmfaisalposted 11 years ago

IMO, if you are looking for a true blogging platform, there is no alternative for wordpress. It's easy, powerful and highly scalable. And yes the wordpress.com version doesn't allow you to put any ad there. So, my recommendation is get started with the self hosted solution (wordpress.org). The best part of wordpress is the enormous amount of free resources available and a very vast community for support. If you run into a problem with wordpress, the chance is very fat that someone else has already ran into that before and got a solution through wordpress community.

And as far as making money is concerned, there are several ways you can do it. You can place adsense ads which is the best network for PPC. If you think your site will have a good amount of visitor, you can use CPM ads like cpxinteractive. If your blog is about certain niche, you can promote affiliated products. So, the possibility is endless with wordpress, it's just how far you can take yourself. But my advice is that making money should be the second priority. You should first make a site with unique and rich content and get natural traffic into it. Once you have both, the money will follow you soon smile

4. AlokkumarSharma profile image60
    AlokkumarSharmaposted 11 years ago

I always love wordpress for blogging as it has best CMS in Internet world comparing to blogger and tumblr. Book your domain and start with wordpress.org and you can start to pay play with your website. Wordpress is very easy to install. It takes only few minutes and your website will be live. There are thousands of free themes available for wordpress site you can choose any of them according to your website niche.
    You can decorate your website by using plugins and widgets which all are free.

5. Suelynn profile image71
    Suelynnposted 11 years ago

Interesting answers here, although I don't understand all the ins and outs.  Good question, Victoria Lynn!

I don't understand the ins and outs, either, Suelynn, but I'm trying to learn. When I feel I have at least enough info, I'm going to jump into some kind of blogging!

6. profile image57
    wbapartnerposted 11 years ago

Blogger has been the best in my experience. The posts get indexed faster than the other free blogging sites. I find Wordpress to be finicky about the kind of content they want. I had couple of my sites deleted as well. I am talking about the free wordpress.com blog. But, if you have your own domain, Wordpress is the best software.

Thanks, wbapartner. Your analysis summarizes some of what I've been hearing!

2. AlokkumarSharma profile image60
      AlokkumarSharmaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wordpress.com always want unique content if they find your comment copied from anywhere they will delete your free blog immediately. One thing I can't understand all blogspot blog is redirected to .in domain but no one is getting indexed.

3. profsunilh profile image59
      profsunilhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you are looking to monetize your blog, it would be a good idea to move away from the free Wordpress site and setup your own domain with a webhost that offers easy Wordpress installation as part of standard features. Examples of these are Hostgator

7. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 11 years ago

Wordpress hands down. it's easy to use once you have played with it a bit, completely customizable, easily indexed by google and has tons of features you can download as you need them in the form of plugins.

Are you talking about the Wordpress option that isn't free? Isn't it about 5 bucks a month? That would be fine, as I want to use it to make some money from it.

8. Catherine Kane profile image80
    Catherine Kaneposted 11 years ago

I like Wordpress too. I'm tech challenged, and it's easy and flexible to use. It has lots of features, but you can get started just using a few of them...

9. profsunilh profile image59
    profsunilhposted 11 years ago

Victoria, the choice of blogging platform will depend on what you want to do. In the Web 2.0 classes that I teach at a university, I start with Blogger for simple assignments so students can learn about the fundamentals of blogging without the interface getting in the way. For the final project I give them a choice to do their project on another platform such as Wordpress which has additional features. As others have mentioned, Wordpress is the most commonly used platform, esp. among professional bloggers.

Thank you, profsunilh. That is very helpful!

10. Kennedi Brown profile image80
    Kennedi Brownposted 11 years ago

I would go with either Wordpress or Blogger---Blogger if you're interested in making money, because it's much easier to integrate Adsense for your blog, and Wordpress hosted blogs don't allow Adsense. You'll have to host your Wordpress blog on your own if you want to do that.

Wordpress if you're looking for a lot of functionality and, not to mention, a good community. Blogger doesn't really have much of a community, whereas Wordpress has quite an extensive one. I found my Wordpress blog got more views and followers instantly than my blog did when it was hosted on Blogger.  Also, all of my blog posts on Blogger started messing up until finally every single post was showing up blank no matter how much I had typed. That was the final straw that caused me to move to Wordpress, though an extensive Google search showed that few people ran into this problem.

11. afriqnet profile image64
    afriqnetposted 11 years ago

All these will deliver different results
    Blogger will have you ranked well in Google within a short period of time.
    Tumblr gives you a good visual and design appeal
    WordPress will help you create a perpetual business. If you self host you are more safe and happier that your blog will not be deleted someday.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)