Blogger or Wordpress

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Mike's Corner profile image71
    Mike's Cornerposted 13 years ago

Which would you recommend for starting a blog to support your Hubs -- blogger or wordpress? Do blogger pages tend to get better indexed/higher PRs since Google owns it?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. It's a common myth but it doesn't work that way.   Google isn't stupid - it knows there's just as much rubbish on Blogger as anywhere else!

If you're talking about blogger.com versus wordpress.com - then I would still go for blogger, because you can't put ads on a wordpress.com site.

However if you're talking about blogger.com versus getting hosting and your own wordpress.org site - I'd go for the second one.

1. AllieRambles profile image60
        AllieRamblesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Marisa. 

For free, definitely Blogger, it's easier and you can monetize.

But if you are getting your own domain and a host, Wordpress.org is the way to go.  There are many more options, and you will want them, to specialize your blog.  And I have noticed most (I mean 90%+) pro bloggers use Wordpress.org.  So when developers create plugins and themes they make them for Wordpress.org supported blogs.

Good luck.

2. saveascj profile image61
      saveascjposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wordpress it the best choice to build a blog, and it is the best CRM sites.

3. kshankin profile image60
      kshankinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It actually doesn't make that much of a difference, they're both similar platforms that come with tools that you can use to express your thoughts. The difference is that google will host a blogger account for you for free, whereas in using WordPress, you're going to find your own hosting more often than not.

Blogger is going to be much quicker to start with. So if you're looking to get a fast start, I'd say stick with blogger.

4. profile image57
      JackSummersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

def wordpress

5. ricoramiro profile image60
      ricoramiroposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I started blogging about a month ago with Wordpress and didn't make any money.  A few days ago I started a blog at Blogger and I've already made money.

Blogger is too easy to set up.  I was up and running in one night and I'm already making money.

To check out my blog please go to:

http://ricoramiro.blogspot.com/

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I have a few Blogspot blogs to support my hubs. I've not tried Wordpress as of yet. My primary blog did have a PR on it, but since the Google Slap, it's been vacant in that department.

As for placement and indexing? It's not too often that I go look up myself. lol

However, if you type my Cagsil into Google, you'll find lots of stuff. lol My blog is on the first page and one the 3rd page for Yahoo. smile big_smile

Again, I don't presently use Wordpress and have no experience on it's quality or ease of use. Sorry. sad

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just checked out your blog. Where did you get the code or code template(s) for that or did you do it your own wonderful self? smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Blogspot has everything for you to do it yourself smile

Compared to yours, mine is one lame excuse for a blog… I guess I haven’t discovered all their options yet.

Hey Para,

If you want, check out my profile and click on my community blog, and tell me what you think. I recently made some changes to it and was going to open a thread asking for advice on sprucing it up, but it's not allowed. wink

Saw it. It is as professional as professional gets. smile

Thank you. I appreciate you checking it out. smile big_smile

3. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

I was actually using both, but wordpress to me is a bit more troublesome. Blogger was just easier to use in the long run and I shut the wordpress down.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

plus you can monetize blogspot.com - adsense, amazon. I have three of them which I just update regularly.

1. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you getting some decent traffic to blogspot?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the old one yes, the two new ones gets five to ten per day.

5. Andrew0208 profile image58
    Andrew0208posted 13 years ago

Both are truly great, got both performing well, but recently I shitted my focus almost completely on Blogger. It has truly improved on the interface, layout, spam protection and PR. Blogger has also featured Amazon associates and the ability to customize your own domain name with it.

Good enough one can now blog his or her hubpages using the share button and make some blog entry with the backlink to HubPages. You don't need to copy anything from your hub for entries; writing a few fresh lines will be quite okay. Blogger PR and targeted traffic are worth the blogging considering also that it's owned by Google who will probably favor herself.

6. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Bedtime for me. smile

Good night. Same here. smile Bye all! smile

1. Andrew0208 profile image58
        Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting world indeed, you guys are going to bed while it is now morning 6:25am here in Nigeria. A pleasant night Cagsil and others.

7. Saloca profile image85
    Salocaposted 13 years ago

Have been wanting to blog fo a while now so this thread has really helped! Thanks all!

8. dingdondingdon profile image61
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

Wordpress, in my experience, is better if you're a beginner to HTML and CSS. It's more easy to customize. However, I prefer Blogger, as there aren't as many limitations and I prefer their console.

9. marcofratelli profile image77
    marcofratelliposted 13 years ago

Wordpress is definitely the way to go. Heaps of themes. Heaps of plugins. Used by the pros. Free. smile

10. Garrett Mickley profile image79
    Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years ago

I'm a wordpress guy my self.

11. 2uesday profile image64
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I find Blogger easier to get the look I want and the templates/themes are very easy to make adjustments to, to customise the look.

I am struggling to learn how to get the best out of wordpress.com. if I can maser it I might try thewordpress.org site.

I have seen somewhere on Blogger that you can move your blog, not sure if that means you can transfer it to host it elsewhere to remove their part of the URL. If so I might take that step in the future if it seems worthwhile.

Blogger has been a good way for me to learn lots of new design and layout ideas.

That's the snag about using a blogger or wordpress.com blog.  If it's successful, you can never move it!

Think about it for a minute.  If you move your blog, it will have a new URL.  It will lose all its "link juice" and all its age.  Google will regard the new location as a completely new site with no reputation at all.

If you're using Blogger, you really need to buy a domain name straight away and associate it with your blog.  Otherwise, you're really stuck with Blogger forever.

1. profile image0
        TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is it possible to make adsense payout from blogger blog without buying the domain name?

From you point it looks like all blogger blogs are stuck now.

Yes, it is 100% possible to make adsense payout from blogger without buying your own domain, but it makes it quite professional having your own domain name on it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

Yes it is. I was replying to 2uesday, who was saying she might start with a blogger blog and move it later, if it worked out.

I'm saying that's not a good idea, because you would lose all the reputation you'd built up on the blogger blog so it would be almost like starting from scratch.

2. ThomasE profile image68
        ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's not true. You can move blogger blogs without losing SEO, it is tricky but is possible.

http://www.seochat.com/c/a/Search-Engin … ical-Tags/

Thanks for that, Thomas. I think it proves my point, essentially!

People often start their website on blogger because they're too scared of the technical challenges of setting up their own self-hosted website.  So when they finally pluck up the courage to transfer to hosting, they have enough on their plate without trying to implement the instructions on that link!

It can all be avoided, anyway, if you buy a domain name to use on your blogger blog in the first place.

12. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Get your own hosting and use wordpress for your own site. Don't however use wordpress.com, which is like blogger.

13. Mike's Corner profile image71
    Mike's Cornerposted 13 years ago

Thanks for all the replies -- lots of great info here to consider smile

14. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

I would really recommend using your experience of Hubpages to identify areas where a blog or website will succeed.

The stats available on a Hubber's account can identify real goldmines.

Using a blog to support a hub is just the wrong way round.

15. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

It's a matter of taste.  I would suggest beginners to try both (set to private) and see which they like best.

16. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Blogger.com Pros
    1. Easy interface
    2. Able to use Google Adsense (very easy)
    3. Easy use of Amazon Associate

Cons
    1. They suddenly block or remove access to blogs for no apparent reason.  Be warned!

Wordpress.org Pros
    1. Easy interface
    2. Many templates
    3. Can use anti-spam service

Cons
    1. No use of Ads allowed, including Adsense.

1. iamalegend profile image61
      iamalegendposted 13 years agoin reply to this

go for blogger

2. mcbean profile image59
      mcbeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is not the case.

Wordpress.org uses your own paid hosting so you can put whatever ads you like on.

Wordpress.com is the free blogger equivalent that doesn't allow ads.

This is what confuses many people when they do research into which is best and find conflicting information.

Another positive for your own hosted wordpress blog is that you can sell it in the future.

I started with a blogger blog with my own domain name but have now moved on to Wordpress.org for all subsequent efforts.

17. 2uesday profile image64
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Thank you Marisa, helpful advice like this is valuable. I never thought of it in that way and the technical side of things is a real challenge to me.

18. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 13 years ago

I use blogger for 4 blogs. Quite please with them, very easy to use, monetized.
    I do wish there was a way that more than just the home page could be active pages and not just contain static words or data.

19. bigmikeh profile image69
    bigmikehposted 13 years ago

I still use Blogger and my own Wordpress sites. Blogger for the real quick and easy sites, my own Wordpress sites for the more advanced. But I still get bogged down with the technicalities of Wordpress from time to time. Choosing plugins and themes can distract from writing so easily!

20. world of the wise profile image68
    world of the wiseposted 13 years ago

I use blogger, but some times, i cant sleep knowing that i will wake up one day when my blog has been blocked or deleted. They have done it to me at one time

1. sabrebIade profile image80
      sabrebIadeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I lost a blog on Blogger because one day Blogger decided that after 4 years and tons of hits and subscribers, it was a spamblog.
      Filed an appeal and it was denied.
      So I lost 400 some pages in the blink of an eye.
      ALWAYS back up your posts.

Sorry for that; It could be painful losing such huge work of yours. I encourage you to start building your own websites and learn effective and ethical ways of optimizing and monetizing them. I also like the word "backup," it's like having a reserve. These guys could tend to give people ugly surprises that ache.

In fact, this issue of Google's dominance with less care to look into guinue appeals made by several passionate users but to only BIG Names with Huge Traffic that make them Huge money forgetting that the started small.
        The foul or spam proof are less perfect, take for instance, there are visitors to blogs who will intentional want to abuse the platform via your blog without you knowing it, even on auto comment spamming, continued clicking of your adsense ads and many other activities of theirs that might put you on the track of having violated their TOS. It's a pity that getting reinstated is like passing an elephant thru an eye of a niddle for small names(little income).   

I hope Google will sincerely adjust to this in fairness and common regard for all users. I remembered very well that Google was not this famous and partial in dealing with users welfare 8 years ago.

21. MyMastiffPuppies profile image57
    MyMastiffPuppiesposted 13 years ago

I use both, as well as hosting my own wordpress.org sites. It is a constant battle to get the word out without stepping over the line(the Google line that is).

22. thisisoli profile image76
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Use Wordpress if you want to host your own blog, Blogger if you do not want to host.

23. sairakhan profile image39
    sairakhanposted 13 years ago

i use al web 2.0 site for backlinks but i love blogger because it is easy to use and its simple and fast

24. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

Blogger is more friendlier to use, and WordPress is for people who want to get very serious about websites. I discovered Tech Crunch is published on WordPress, and it's the worlds most popular technology blog. So WordPress kicks butt. Blogger allows Amazon and Google Adsense, and is easier to manage. Easy to add back links to your Hub Profile or Hub Pages you wish to promote. It is a great way to learn how to Blog and set up pages. When you go professional, and want to go bigger, maybe WordPress will Appeal to you more. The learning curve is steep for WordPress.

They are both good. But then so is Weebly (which I have used happily for 2 years), Tumblr, Typepad, Webs, Wix and more besides. Plenty of options to choose there! Monetizing blogs is a reality for us all now, and supplements our incomes from Hubs nicely. And the links will bring fresh readers and users to Hubs too, thanks to our valued back links to Hub Pages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)