Is Nelle Hoxie Leaving?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

I just went to see her profile and was shocked to see ZERO hubs. Hard to believe this because of the amount of money she was making here.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I doubt it.  Nelle started a thread recently just for this purpose; to advise others that she was still here in spite of having 0 hubs.  On the Nelle account at least; there are others that she still has many hubs on.

Search some of the other threads for posts from Nelle and you will get the straight scoop from her own fingers.  I dislike to try and repeat it as I could get it wrong.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Nelle made some posts explaining exactly what she is doing and why several weeks ago now.  Do a search and you will get the story in her own words.

Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please mention some of the unique keywords from that post if you remember.

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

You know I thought I would just let Nelle slip away quietly. I have asked HP to delete her. I am working on another project under that name, which is my name, and want to tidy up the online presence.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nelle, I understood your earlier posts to indicate that you would remain here.  I would hate to see Nelle Hoxie go - you have been a major force on HP for a long time (much longer than I know of) and it would be a shame for HP to lose that. 

As long as you have hubs here under any name, please consider leaving Nelle Hoxie here as well, just to post the forums occasionally.  Maybe put up a couple of hubs pointing to your Cape Cod site?

When I wasn't making money here, I found inspiration from her forum posts and kept working on my hubs.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Different type of approach to earlier Hubs than yours has been, Nelle, but I'm real close to doing something similar.   smile  Things have gotten pretty messy recently (even for a spare-time/non-business-focused Hubber like me).  "Tidying up" is a great way to put it.  I'm still kind of looking at my own mess (at least under this name) and thinking, "Where do I start?"   hmm

3. Tweetmom profile image67
      Tweetmomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LIKE this.

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Wilderness thank you for your sweet words. But I have to let my name settle down and be more professional. I should not have used my real name in the forums. It was a very poor judgement call. I now have to reclaim it.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You will be missed, Nelle; you have helped me out more than once and it is appreciated.  I don't have to like your leaving (and don't) but can understand and sympathize with your situation.  Best wishes in your endeavors smile

(Perhaps I'll spot the Nelle style in an alter ego post down the road smile )

2. profile image49
      ShortStoryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But people who disagree with you will call you "coward" for not doing so...

J/K - who the hell cares? Best of luck in this new project.

3. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Nelle, I understand that. I don't use my real name here....

6. profile image0
    Gertie HIllposted 13 years ago

okay, I'm still here. Take a look

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/72105

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gertie, hi.  Welcome to HubPages.  I have a feeling you'll really like writing on here.    smile

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image71

Great!! smile

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like your new name and am glad you will stay!

1. profile image0
        Oceana Swiftposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Remember Gertie's gone too, because she's got a problem with adsense.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
          prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok, I wish "Oceana" more success!

2. lrohner profile image69
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I definitely like Oceana better than Gertie. Reminded me of my Great-Aunt Gertrude. Are people actually named that anymore? smile

7. profile image0
    Gertie HIllposted 13 years ago

Wilderness It's me Nelle, I'm here! See! I haven't gone anywhere.

8. GarfieldGates profile image78
    GarfieldGatesposted 13 years ago

I did the same thing about a year ago.  I was hubbing under my real name and realized that, professionally, it wasn't something I wanted everyone to know about if they googled my name - hence the birth Garfield Gates.

Looking forward to re-meeting you Gertie, or Nelle, or Oceania, or... whatever...

9. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

Oceania or Gertie, et al....

I am glad to see that you'll be writing under a new identity.  I look forward to reading more of your work.

From the get-go, I realized that I should not be using my real name here, and so I'm glad that I followed my instincts and became my screen name.  At least, various posts in the forums seem to confirm that my reservations were well founded.

The only thing I regret is not using a real pen name, like Alexandra Cook, or something similar.  I guess that could someday become another account.

10. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I use my full real name here, as well as at Associated Content. I personally don't have a problem with anyone knowing I write on here or the other place.

Any place I use my name I know from the start I would not mind if anyone knows about it. In fact I think it's cool that people know I'm a writer on big sites like this.

However to each his/her own, so if "Gertie" prefers that name here, more power to her. smile

11. profile image0
    Oceana Swiftposted 13 years ago

Okay the most ridiculous flounce - name change whatever - is officially over. I've asked HP to delete both Nelle H. and Gertie Hill. The hub I published under Gertie last night is now under OCEANA SWIFT, that is my new HP name.

Nothing mysterious, I'm just trying to separate my affiliate marketing from my real self and local travel site.

BTW Oceana Swift was my father's mother.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so will you replace all the sales hubs you had before?

1. profile image0

The Amazon hubs won't get replaced any time soon because of the affiliate-nexus law under consideration in Massachusetts. Some of the ebay content and keyword strategies have been moved to my own websites. (I still have quite a few ebay hubs though.)

I do think that I'll become an adsense writer here - for now.

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I like the name, very intriguing. It's nice to have a name that inspires curiosity to find out more.  Oceana is beautiful, I've never heard it used as a name. It has a nice sound.

13. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Lovely name, Nelle. Hope it brings you much success.

14. profile image0

Thank you for the good wishes PDH and Pandoras Box.

I really was going to try to do this quietly. But then Ultimate Hubber asked the question and Wilderness got so sad on me. I know he really isn't that cute little boy in his avatar, but he made me feel like I was deserting a waif. So I rushed about and made a mistake and had to change my name again. Just more than slightly embarrassing, but time to move on!

1. Bill Manning profile image68
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

Now you know how I feel about my gallery troubles! Glad you finally got a name, sounds very pretty. smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hope it all woks well for you. Are you allowed to move your old hubs to your new persona? Or does that not work?

15. profile image0

Gertrude was a beloved family friend. I have always loved the name.

16. wheelinallover profile image75
    wheelinalloverposted 13 years ago

It was instinctive for me to use a pen name in hub pages and I am not sorry I did. People who know me would search my nick if they wanted to see what I was up to. Family also know it. I am easier to find this way also. Every time I have typed my nick into a search engine its on the top of the list. I have always told anyone who as asked about my hubs just to type my nick into a search engine and it will take them right to my hubs. For three plus years I was involved with people for whom driving four wheel drive vehicles off road was a passion. These people also knew my nick so that is more chances of people finding my hubs.
    Three days ago I found that I do have five websites on the web under my real name. It's time to start promoting them but not in Hub pages.
    Good luck to you Gertie

17. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

When you get up, don't forget, what name you are wearing today... big_smile
    Oceana... h-m-m... something big and blue...

1. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nicer than Gertie.

18. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'm glad you've kept your piccie so that we can recognise you, Nelle smile
    In view of some of the hubs I have published recently, I wish I had written under a pen name, although my name obviously isn't IzzyM it's not too far away.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I decided if I kept the same picture, it would ease the transition. But until HP deletes Nelle and Gertie, there's a lot of me to look at! Sorry again.

I've been following your taxi cab saga. Very interesting...

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I got an email through a hub today, on a completely different hub with just an innocent question, and I responded without thinking.
        It probably was innocent because the other person said my hub had been linked to a forum, and true enough there are a few forum views on this hub.
        But I really will have to be careful what I do in future, just in case.
        Or maybe I'm just letting my imagination run wild.

Anyway, the Oceana name is lovely, even if it does make me think of a certain airline in 'Lost'. Your grandmother's name? Sounds so exotic!

19. profile image0

I just decided to delete them. With all of the Panda-required revisions I have more product hubs than I know what to do with.

20. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Lovely name Oceana, verra attractive I'd say smile

Welcome back from whence you went and hitherto returned!

21. GarfieldGates profile image78
    GarfieldGatesposted 13 years ago

My grandmother's name is Charlotte.  Like Oceana, I think it is a beautiful name. A pity these names aren't used very much any more...

22. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Oceana Swift has left the building as well. 

Strange times we live in.

1. Tweetmom profile image67
      Tweetmomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why is this happening? I just followed her in HP. Was really looking forward to read her hubs again. This is just sad.

1. TamCor profile image82
        TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't speak for Nelle, but I do know that she, along with a lot of other hubbers, was pretty upset by what happened to Spacey Gracey this past week...as well as everything else that's been going on around here.

Maybe she'd just, finally, had enough...and that's sad, isn't it?

23. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

A comeback under a new account name is a very difficult thing to do for a famous Hubber.

24. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

From what I've understood, Nelle Hoxie is a shrewd business woman. She felt her brand was suffering with the way things were going on HubPages, and so decided to stop using her own name here. Using alter egos instead flopped, and she pulled those as well.

1. Aya Katz profile image82
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How did using alter egos flop? Don't you have to give it some time before the alter ego becomes a brand?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She had mistyped the first alternate user name, because it was created in haste. I pointed that out, and she gave it up. She pointed to yet another user name, which had previously been unknown. Then she changed her mind and pulled that as well.

I consider her a highly professional person, who did what she had to do.

2. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unsure exactly Aya as I'm not Nelle but I suspect it relates to Nelle using Ebay etc. She decided like many to use different accounts for different niches (good business sense) and will have used the same established model/format.

I would have, I have. So I'm thinking what wouldn't work for one account wouldn't work for another. I'm sorry to see her go, I liked Nelle.

25. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I think she just would like to be left alone. While many here love her and want to know how she is doing, I think she is uncomfortable with people talking about her here.

I think she just wants to move on and not have to worry if her name keeps coming up here, which is what is happening each time someone brings up this thread. wink

26. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

HP is doing quite irritating, disgusting and useless things to its hubbers these days. She could have left due to that but I am sure we will soon find out why she actually left.

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you are really into blame then blame Hubpages for not getting tough before. Not for getting tough now.

As for all those Hubbers having pages unpublished. It is hard to have too much sympathy. The hubs being hit are the hubs that dragged this site down.

The hubbers suffering most are sometimes people who simply followed bad advice. Sometimes they are people who gave the bad advice. It would be hard to separate them.

It's a lesson for everyone. Learn it and move on.

27. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

So we don't even get an explanation about Spacey Gracey, just that the "reasoning was sound" for the banning?

Wow.

28. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Having looked at Spacey Gracey's hub, that just doesn't seem to be true. Hence my confusion.  If there was anything wrong with them, I have no idea what it was.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)