Domaintools make personal info public!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 12 years ago

I think this is disgusting.  I found this out when setting up some websites.  They put personal contact details on net

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why is it disgusting? When you register a domain name, you agree that the information you use to sign up is available to the public through WHOIS. And there are thousands of places where it can be viewed - not just domaintools.

Why don't you want your domain registration to be available for viewing.
      In the real world, It's taken as an indication that the website owner is reputable.
      Although many internet marketers have many reasons why they want to hide it :-)

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are about two decades behind the rest of the Internet in having this realization.  Like physically owning property, establishment of the ownership of virtual space falls under public record.  However you can actually use a variety of proxies to cloak that info but it's still going to be traceable in some fashion if it comes down to legal matters.

But since you already have a prolific web presence, talk about your husband and son, where you live (QLD Australia), your and your son's Aspergers, your college degrees (BS in Chemistry, Teaching), and your religious background as a Pentecostal, and you seem to have been doing so very specifically for several years now using the exact same account/pen names, and all that info is plainly visible on page 1 of a Google search for your pen names, don't you think anyone who knows you is going to be able to identify you online fairly easily from the collected details?  I mean, how many other women in your area fit that description?  ...None but you, I would think...

2. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 12 years ago

Whois is public information unless you choose to pay for privacy on the domain - nothing disgusting about it

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

making it easy for identity theft, spammers, hackers etc

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually I agree with you, Bailey, and I have privacy on all my domains.  I get my domain names through Name.com and it's only an extra $1.99 a year.

1. profile image0

I've just bought it through them.  I'm spilling my guts online and would like a little bit of privacy eg so an employer doesn't find me easily.  I don't think I could write freely otherwise

1. Lissie profile image75
            Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Frankly that's a bad idea - especially if you are talking about an employer there have been cases in my country where people have been fired over what they've said online.

1. profile image0

I think I will avoid doing so.  I read how another hubber got fired after venting on a forum (some do-gooder got it traced back to their employer).

I'd still prefer people at work didn't find me easily, but will exercise caution

3. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 12 years ago

Oh, do you mean Whois? That's not new or specific to Domaintools.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois

4. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 12 years ago

Oh yeah, that has always been that way. No big deal about that, it makes people honest and accountable. You can make it private if you want to pay for it.

5. WoodsmensPost profile image63
    WoodsmensPostposted 12 years ago

Peek-a-boo @@ you can always pay a little extra to have that info made private smile

1. profile image0

apparently it's not really that private to get the paid for privacy thing.
      I'm writing personal experiences

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can pay extra for a privacy feature, and it replaces your name and personal details with a privacy registry instead.  It does work.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Domain registration information is not and never was private. People who want their web ownership to be private need to use and pay for a proxy service.

3. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 10 years ago

Whichever company you register your domain with often offers a security service that will block your personal info from becoming public. Usually the fee is not high to do this.

Edit: Just realized this thread is two years old.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wish HP would close down the ability to make new comments on threads this old.

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

lol, an old thread where almost everyone repeated the same thing.

5. 2uesday profile image66
      2uesdayposted 10 years ago

The person who reactivated has found it useful to add a link.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)