My Views Are In The Toilet...

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (36 posts)
  1. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I haven't been publishing much this month, since I have a big wedding coming up June 11 and that's occupying most of my time.  What are some quick and easy things I can do to boost traffic on the fly till I can get back down to the business of writing again?

1. recommend1 profile image59
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently post loads of half naked girlie pics for no apparent reason - thats what loads of others here do !

DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could make myself do do that, since I hear so many folks ahem...talking about the virtues of that as opposed to doing any REAL writing, but I just can't bring myself to do that.  Guess I need to lower myself to the level of the masses...sigh.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Put on a rubber glove, reach into the toilet, and get your views!  Do not, I repeat, do not flush first!  smile

Thank you, Randy, for those valuable insights.  I'll make sure to stock up on rubber gloves!

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Reddit.com used to give me hundred to thousands of views, and they are dofollow links.  Sadly, I've been kicked off the site, it seems.

Newsvine is a pretty decent site, it's a lot nicer place than is redditt super lefty la la land - and I sometimes get good traffic from Newsvine, but not so much as I was getting from reddit.

Of course they frown on those who only provide links to their hubs on those sites, who can blame them?  I can find enough interesting stuff on the net to diversify what I share.

If you don't use those two sites, reddit, and newsvine - then I think they are worth joining for backlinks and traffic.

2. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

I wish I knew....

Dang, Mutiny, you're a "99" and Randy's a "100"!  If you can't tell me, who can?!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't. i only get about 200 views  day.

3. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

Post links on reputable social networking/bookmarking sites.

You might get a burst of views for a day or two, but after that they die back down.

4. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

What are some where I won't have to post an article...I don't have time for that!  Don't tell me Facebook, I already know that and I don't do MySpace.

1. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are a brilliant writer. Use your writing in the subjects you are expert on to publish an ebook at Smashwords. You can even use the content of your hubs. You cannot fight google but Amanda Hocking sold one million ebooks on Smashwords for BN, Sony, Diesel, Kobo, Itunes, Iapps,  and createspace for Amazon (although I think Smashwords will be on Amazon soon so you won't need to buy ISBN's.)

Amanda is 25 years old and made two million dollars last year after starting on Smashwords in April, 2010.

You have to get into the Smashwords premium catalog, so you have to be formatted properly. Sandy Mertens, from here on Hubpages and Squidoo,  formatted mine but you have to pay for it. She does pictures too!! Or you can learn how to format using the Smashwords guide. Formatting is not for everyone!

But wouldn't you rather having someone search for your product on an ebookstore site then on Google where you get no respect? I advocate this plan, publish on Hubpages. You can keep those up, and use whatever content you want to publish your ebooks.

I have a best selling ebook on Diesel-ebooks.com. I am newly published with 4 little ebooks. They range between 7k and 17k words and are priced from $1.99 to $3.99. Now fiction will not fetch that price. A good novel of 75k to 120k words should be priced from $.99 to no more than $4.99. Amanda prices no more than $3.99 I think.

Here is info about her: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Hocking

And here: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/amandahocking

She was rejected by publishers, became the most famous indie publisher in the world and just signed a two million dollar deal with a publisher. So she made 4 million dollars in one year!

I just want to sell a few ebooks. My goal is $10k per year. But I am sure wedding ebooks will fly off the shelves if priced correctly. smile

Thanks, bga!  Very helpful post and something I've been playing with for awhile now.  I hope after June, I can refocus.  Of course, it could be so successful I will have more lined up and never get back to writing, and that would be a shame since I enjoy it so much!  I've actually bought some really great e-books for nominal prices myself that I was very pleased with, so that may be an option.

1. bgamall profile image68
          bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You have to get in that game if you want respect. There is no google stopping you as the ebook stores are favorites of search engines. SEO and success in search is a tough business. This other way will help your sanity!

My sanity could definitely use all the help it can get!

5. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

If you don't have time to write articles about your hubs and post them on other writing sites with links, the other thing to do is join forums that allow you put a link in your profile and join in the chat.

You can check if those forums offer 'dofollow or nofollow' backlinks by right-clicking on the page and 'view source', press Ctrl + F for Find, and put 'nofollow' into the search box (usually top right of page).

Any nofollow attributes will be highlighted, and if they are absent, the forum is dofollow.

Even if nobody from the site actually looks at your link, Google will see them and hopefully place your hubs higher up the search engines.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Izzy.  In my late night insomnia attacks, I need to start working on that.  There are tons of wedding forums out there, I just need to get a foot in the door.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
        Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Even if you DO find "nofollow" attribute, check and see WHERE it is (if you don't have knowledge of HTML and/or whatever other coding the site is built on, the coding might confuse you).

Just because there's a "nofollow" on one area of the page doesn't mean the whole page is "nofollow".

I have a hub or two about backlinks on Forums and Tumblr that may help you.

I actually followed your advice on one of your hubs, Garrett.  Thanks!

6. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

besides forums posting,does anyone submit their hubs to other search engines..?

7. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

You really need to have your own self hosted blog. If you don't know how to build one then head on over to the warrior forum or digital point forum and someone there will build it for you.  But before you build you should have a plan so you stay on target and set goals then build on them.  For example, your first goal is to get 10 visitors a day to your blog by making short keyword rich posts once a day (150 words with a picture)that shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.  Once you have your own site and have a few dozen posts then you offer a free e-report (this is what we call link bait) it will help get more backlinks and also build your list which you can later market the ebook bgamall is suggesting. Your ebook is what will earn you your revenue not the pennies you will earn from adsense.

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is an e-report?

1. Danette Watt profile image81
        Danette Wattposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As I understand it, an 'e-report' would be a freebie a reader could download. So if DIYweddingplanner were to have an e-report, she could have something like "5 steps to planning your wedding" or "10 reasons why you need to hire a professional planner." It acts as an enticement to get people to your site.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
          livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!!!

2. Mutiny92 profile image64
          Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

ah - thanks

3. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

Good ideas, Danette!

8. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

I really need to clone myself!

1. Danette Watt profile image81
      Danette Wattposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree! So much to learn and so much to do.

9. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

A very sexy avatar, and changed often from one sex kitten to the next,seems to work for some.

Thanks, Bobbi.  I'll keep that in mind!

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
        Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

DIY you already have a very sexy avatar

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Someone PLEASE HELP ME BE SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. GlstngRosePetals profile image68
    GlstngRosePetalsposted 12 years ago

Hi I think what you can do until June is while your on here post comments on others hubs and add more hubbers to your list. You can also answer questions on here. My first year I didn't do to well on here and now almost two years later it's finally paying off. Try to write at least one article so your stats don't fall to low.Good Luck and I hope this helps.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Views from other hubbers don't bring money or continued traffic.

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

My views are not in the toilet, considering I have had one dip day in two weeks. My views are holding steady where my last increase came and settled.

Sorry to hear your views are down so much. hmm

Thanks, Cags.  Coming from you, that means alot! smile  And glad your traffic is still good.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)