MS Office Word question

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I use Word (2003) for just about all word processing now, and I know a lot of little tricks to make life easier, I hope.  But I have also recently tried some "little tricks" that haven't worked out the way I intended. I need help to undo or correct what I have done.  (Preferably correct, rather than undo.)

Today I customized my formatting toolbar by adding the "strikethrough" command icon, because I use it often enough that I want to have it handy.  When I actually made used of that icon, it performed more than I had asked it to.  It changed the typestyle, the font color, the kerning, and more.  Honest, all I asked for was just to strikethrough!

It also actually jumped the cursor to a different location and performed the same actions on another line of type.  I can't just go back to Undo, because there are so many steps required (a lot of VGA stuff).  And I can't highlight the text and use the icon as a toggle switch - I tried that.

Can any of you experts give me some suggestions to try?  I would really like to have the icon on the toolbar, but I will change it, if I must!

1. easylearningweb profile image84
      easylearningwebposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would like to try and help you figure out the issue you are having with the strikeout icon. First, I would to check a few things so that I understand which toolbar you are using and which icon. Are you referring to the strikeout icon that is the lowercase abc with the line through it...is that what the icon looks like? If so, so far so good. That is the icon I use and it shouldn't be re-formatting font, etc. It should only be crossing out your text.

Are you using the original formatting toolbar or the ribbon formatting bar? The original word formatting toolbar in older versions of Word tends to not show all normal popular icons and that used to annoy me, so the first thing I would do is drag the formatting toolbar down so all icons are showing.

The new "ribbon" bar is arranged differently but providing your Home tab is selected, the formatting icons should be on the left including the strikeout icon.

If one of the above suggestions worked, you should see the strikout icon (and you shouldn't need to add it, unless it was just hidden because the formatting toolbar wasn't stretched across to show all icons).

If none of the above helped, I would remove the icon that you added, but look for the strikeout icon in one of the above toolbars to make sure it's not some other icon that does more than just strikeout.

One more thing...Word can be funny sometimes when you try to format text which is at the end of the line...sometimes it carries formatting with the hard return.

Please post more info and I'll be glad to help further.

2. Aficionada profile image80

No answers yet?  I have another problem with Word too, but this one is the simpler (and more recent) one, so I would like to get it out of the way first.

Please?

3. Aficionada profile image80

I think it may have to do with a Macro.  I am completely new to Macros, and so I may have done something with the strikethrough at one time, thinking I was providing an alternative to the icon-on-the-toolbar.  Is there any way to turn off a Macro, or do I just have to delete it?

4. theherbivorehippi profile image65
    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

I'm just bumping this up for you. I use OpenOffice myself so I'm clueless. I have Word and never touch it. Hopefully someone has an answer for you.

smile

5. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 12 years ago

Bump!

I use Word 2010 but have never heard of this issue you're having.

6. theherbivorehippi profile image65
    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

Bump again. smile

7. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

I don't know how to resolve your problem with the button, but here's a set of instructions for creating your own keyboard shortcut for strikethrough:

http://word.tips.net/T000418_Strikethro … t_Key.html

It's fiendishly long-winded but if successful, you only need do it the once!

8. Aficionada profile image80

Thank you ladies - THVH, Rafini, EmpressF - sooo much!  I have ended up with multiple "issues" this weekend.  So I am setting this particular one aside for a bit, but I will definitely come back to this thread and try out the instructions when other issues are more manageable.  I do appreciate your help immensely!

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65
      theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. Hope you get it figured out. smile

9. Aficionada profile image80

Hi, easylearningweb:
    I appreciate your attempt to help me straighten this out! As I indicated, the problem may possibly be related to a Macro that I created without knowing enough about Macros.  Anyway, there are a few items in your post that I don't understand, for example:

I don't know what you mean by the ribbon formatting bar. (Sorry.)

In fact, I don't even know what you mean by "Home tab."  hmm  (Sorry.)

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5269890_f248.jpg

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5269926_f248.jpg

It is the strikeout icon.  See (inadequate) pictures above.

I can see this as possibly being part of the problem.  However, the formatting that is added is not a part of the usual formatting.  For example, when I went to "Undo" the strikeout (after using the icon), here are all the steps I had to undo:

VBA-Font-Animation
    VBA-Font Kerning
    VBA-Font Position
    VBA-Font Scaling
    VBA-Font Spacing
    VBA-Font Subscript
    VBA-Font Superscript
    VBA-Font Engrave
    VBA-Font Color
    VBA-Font AllCaps
    VBA-Font SmallCaps
    VBA-Font Hidden
    VBA-Font Shadow
    VBA-Font Emboss
    VBA-Font Outline
    VBA-Font DoubleStrikeThrough
    VBA-Font StrikeThrough
    VBA-Font UnderlineColor
    VBA-Font Underline
    VBA-Font Italic
    VBA-Font Bold
    VBA-Font Size
    VBA-Font Name

That's a lot of "Undo's." smile  And it's not normal, obviously.

Hi again Aficionada,

I'll try to clarify a few things to help. First, if you created a macro, it would have asked you for a macro name and icon to assign. I'm not sure if the culpruit is a custom macro, but you never know (do you recall being in macro function?).

About the ribbon, I'm sorry for any confusion...the ribbon is new to 2007 so it probably isn't a part of 2003. The toolbar that you show in your image is the original formatting toolbar that I've seen.

The strikeout icon looks normal and it's the one I use too.

About the list you noted for the Undo's, wow, that is quite a list. It shouldn't require to undo all that formatting if the last thing you did was to strikeout text.

Here are some things to try to narrow down the problem:

1. Is the problem happening in all documents (old and new documents) or just in one document?

2. Can you do a quick test like this: start a new document, select one word; then click the strikeout icon (the word should then be crossed out); then click Undo (click Undo icon, or used CTRL + Z). Then see what happens and let me know if that worked.

3. If problems persist, maybe remove the icon that you added from the toolbar (especially if it's requiring that you undo more steps), and use the pull-down menu to pick Strikeout via the Formatting dialog box (hopefully this will behave). This will help to narrow down the problem.

Hope that helps.

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know for certain that using Strikeout via the dialog box works just fine.  I want the convenience of the icon on the toolbar.

I think that I will just delete the Macro that I created and see if that takes care of the problem.  Thank you so much for your help!

10. Aficionada profile image80

Goodness, I could have saved you (and myself) an enormous amount of time and effort, if I had just done the deletion to start with!  That took care of it.

I did take the opportunity to go into Visual Basic Editor, so I got a bit of exposure to some new things, and that was a nice side bonus.

Next time I try creating a Macro, I'll take things a little more slowly and try to be sure I know what I'm doing.  big_smile

Thanks again for your help!

Glad to help! :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)