When an atheist meet one lonely Christian

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Hui (蕙) profile image60
    Hui (蕙)posted 12 years ago

Recently, I met one old lady. She does not have family, just lonely alone. Obviously, she is going to devote the rest of life to the God. She read through the Bible over and over again, and make notes everywhere on pages. For some reason, she thinks of me as the daughter that the God sent her. She even did different voices as Jesus, Jesus' nephew and some weird woman from another world over the phone to try to get me to go to church with her, but I have a lot work and study to do, and more importantly, I do not believe in religions (sorry!). However, I also do not want to hurt her feeling. So, are there any suggestions in this case?

1. Evolution Guy profile image58
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Be nice. And makes sure you are in the will. big_smile

1. Hui (蕙) profile image60
        Hui (蕙)posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. lol

2. Patti Ann Post profile image61
      Patti Ann Postposted 12 years agoin reply to this

God loves you so much. He loves everyone and created everything and all things. Usually older people have so much more wisdom and experience than we do. I would at least consider all she may say. You never know it could lead to the possible when you thought it was impossible. And yes be nice.

1. Evolution Guy profile image58
        Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or this is total garbage. You decide. LOLOLOLOO

3. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

trying to explain to her that god isn't real will do more harm then good. just try to be there for her when you can and when religion becomes the topic, nod your head and act like you agree. i went to a wedding at a bible camp on the weekend and god was mentioned i bet 100 times to me. i was told i was a good christian because i helped out so much. it was for my brother-in-law , so of course i helped out. i just kept saying thanks and by the end of the day, no one was the wiser. it kind of creeped me out how much these folks are into the god thing but to each their own.

2. collegestudent011 profile image59
    collegestudent011posted 12 years ago

Everyone is looking to believe in something. Some people even try to cope by believeing in themselves. I am a christian but I do not believe in religion. I have a relationship with Christ that fills the void that most people have. Im not looking to reinvent myself. I dont have to throw myself into my career to make myself feel acomplished. Most importantly I know that at the end of the day It doesnt matter what I do or say Christ  still loves me. He knows my flaws and accepts me. Thats what having a relationship with God is about. Its not about being "good" or doing "good" deeds.

3. spiritualspark3 profile image60
    spiritualspark3posted 12 years ago

Do atheist believe in the saying, "Everything happens for a reason"? If yes, then this meeting simply means that god gave you an opportunity to help her devotee as  to approach god you need to approach his devotee first.

For an instance if you want to meet the prime minister you will need to meet his/her secretary first(in your case you do not want to). Complete knowledge is when you know both sides of the coin, if we do this this will happen and if we do not do, still this is the benefit, that is a perfect reason to reject it.

Listen to her, by thinking that she is all good and then compare your good with her good.

The best thing in life happens when we take chances also to add in this is the best help is the help offered at the moment.

4. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

Many atheists believe in some christian principles such as friendship, charity and fidelity. I would go by your principles, be tolerant of her beliefs and don't say a word the other way as that is what a friend would do. If it is any help I have a friend who is an athiest who has accompanied his wife to church for 30 years so that she does not have to journey on her own! I think she has to go to his football matches!

5. Hui (蕙) profile image60
    Hui (蕙)posted 12 years ago

Thanks, you all. I'll consider all of your advices, and try to do right thing. Actually, I almost did something stupid, but now I changed mind. Thanks, again.big_smile

6. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

If you think she is a nice lady ? ...    There just might be one or two things that she says that may be worth considering as far as adding to your persona.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)