Hmmm- Summaries are good!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)
  1. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
    PaulaHenry1posted 12 years ago

I dont no if its a fluke, but I put summaries on a handful of Hubs this morning, checked again a minute ago and I have visitors!!! Definite increase in views. So my conclusion, summaries are good!

1. Ms Dee profile image87
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, wow! So good to get this news of the good effect you've seen in using summaries smile

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It works! Yes it does and congrats on your traffic! smile

3. Bendo13 profile image76
      Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully it's more than 1 view per hub?

If not then you are that one view, since once you save your edits it counts you as a view when the hub loads.

If it's quite a few more views for each hub then you've definitely made a good change!

1. Cardisa profile image89
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ms Dee is right. The hubs I have summaries on are the ones at the top of my list. They do much better. I think the summaries should be keyword rich too.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I have noticed that all my hubs in the top 50% were ones with summaries, those without invariably have lower hub scores and visits.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that information UW, I will make a few adjustments to some of my old ones that are getting some traffic again in the last week, when my stats got better along with many other hubbers. smile

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Good to know it seems to help.  When the automatic summaries got wiped out awhile back, I went and wrote, I think, about 40 (if that) of my own.  It took - like - a whole morning or something like that.  I have at least another couple of hundred to write.  roll  Let's see...  One a day a 200-plus days....   Or, let's see...  50 summaries on 4/5 days...     I think I may just have to continue procrastinating on one course of action or another for another several months.  roll

4. TahoeDoc profile image77
    TahoeDocposted 12 years ago

I did that yesterday too after not being around here for a while. I saw a spike in visitors but when I went to the traffic sources tab, alas, they were hubpages views (most likely a lot of my own). I hope that's not true for you, but wanted to pass that along, just in case.

Good luck and maybe I'll even publish something new soon.

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

How long are you guys making your summaries?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If too long, google won't show it all.  I try to keep it about the size of the little box HP gives us to write in without scrolling down.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay. Thanks!

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here. HP says it should only be 2 or 3 sentences.

2. Howard S. profile image89
      Howard S.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

A usually reliable source said 250 characters is the max Google will "see." Another said 248 or 252--I forget. Anyway, I make sure that if I'm a couple of characters over 250, that the sentence still makes sense.

It is my understanding that the old auto-generated first paragraphs were "grandfathered" in. They remain until you edit the hub, at which time they disappear. I can't verify that right now on Google, but I know they remain within HubPages for Hot/Best/Latest(More...).

When HubPages stopped auto-generating summaries, I only had a few without custom summaries anyway. My most recent job was to write teasers for web articles, so I'm used to this and know the benefit of it.

Strangely, though, I have not seen any traffic benefit with summaries (or subdomains, though my wife has). In the 30 days prior to last week (zero activity on my part for almost 3 months), my 53 hubs together averaged exactly 8 views per day. That's pathetic!

1. Howard S. profile image89

Where did I get 250 characters from?! What I meant was 50 characters max for a summary--called a teaser in the publishing industry. If you think it is impossible to summarize your hub in 50 words--and it often is--then think about teasing or tempting someone to click on your hub. I hope I didn't mislead anyone.

Characters and words are different (Duh!). The limit is 250 characters, which works out to roughly 50 words.

6. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

Can the summary be the same as the title?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It could, but why?  The summary is your chance to explain what the title means, and to convince the potential reader that it is interesting and they should check it out (and observe your many wonderful ads!).  Merely repeating the title won't do either.

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh ok....hmmmm

7. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I've been adding a few summaries today but I'm not going to rush to do all of them, I'm taking my time lol

1. Bendo13 profile image76
      Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah same here... If I check my overall traffic I just edit the ones with A's that I can see right at the bottom.  I don't want to spend all day doing it.

Sucks when they made the change a while ago that it wiped everything out.

8. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 12 years ago

wouldn't it be great if when we change our summaries, hubpages goes and updates our hubs (with the new summary) where ever it is linked in the hubpages domain ?

Just dreaming...

9. MissE profile image76
    MissEposted 12 years ago

Hmmmm... I guess I need to figure out how to add summaries then.  In general everything has been going up lately.  If adding the summaries halps even more, I'm all for it!

10. MissE profile image76
    MissEposted 12 years ago

whoops...helps.

11. Robin profile image87
    Robinposted 12 years ago

We recently wrote a Learning Center entry on summaries here:  http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … ub-Summary

Cheers!  wink

Yes, and it's a good one. But I think you can be more specific on the length. "Three or four short sentences" gives too much latitude when characters are what counts--250, if I'm not mistaken.

12. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

The summaries are only really good if they are better than the first paragraph of the first text capsule - as that is what Google shows under the link without you adding a custom summary.

13. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I started working on some summaries last and earlier today, using a pretty willy-nilly approach with regard to which score-range/traffic range Hubs I did.  I kind of forget a lot of the ones I've added on my 90's, 80's, and 70's Hubs.

Two of the 60's Hubs stand out, though.  They're two creative writing piece (written for entertainment value only, and that I've left up only because of that.  I've been fine with the fact that their scores are only in the 60's.  I like the stories and figured they're a break from "the usual" among my stuff).

Anyway, I added summaries.  I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but they both went to over 75 scores and have a few views on them within hours of adding the summaries.  Some of the ones I did that were in the other score ranges may have seen improvement.  There's too many and I haven't had the time to really sort that out.  The two creative writing pieces were the ones that had the noticeably dramatic change (in score anyway).  It's only been seen last night that I've been doing some more summaries than I had before.  I imagine I'll get better reading after more time (and summaries) have gone on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)