How many hubs left do you need to write summaries for?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (35 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

I have 53 left out of 177!

I never knew we were to write summaries! roll

1. Peggy W profile image96
      Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hundreds!  But even with the ones I have already summarized, I am seeing an increase in viewings and also an increase in earned income.  Lots of work left to do!!!

schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

that's great. I've noticed sometimes the best summary is to copy and paste a few sentences, and others to describe the hub.

2. manlypoetryman profile image82
      manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yikes...I got'ta lot of work to do!

3. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not a matter of being told you "have to" write unique summaries. Think about it this way...those summaries appear in Google searches and in other places. They are an opportunity to sell your Hub to the reader, who may have the attention span of a gnat. This is your opportunity to give a potential reader a reason to read your words.

It might take me 30 minutes to write that custom summary, depending on my frame of mind, but it's worth the effort. Also, Google will never pick up your unique summary as duplicate content.

30 minutes for 3 sentences? I've been spending 2 minutes .....

hmmm maybe I should spend more time

4. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
      Jeannieinabottleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have about 70 or 80 more to write.  I try to write at least one a day, but I've been a slacker lately.  I am grateful for the little "A" written beside hubs missing summaries.  At least I can track what I need to do now.

5. vox vocis profile image81
      vox vocisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had more than half (out of 48). Anyway, I wrote the summaries and noticed a significant rise in traffic.

6. Cogerson profile image79
      Cogersonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have done 2 summaries...only 92 more to go.

7. Rehana Stormme profile image72
      Rehana Stormmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know we had to write summaries. But thank God I found that out sooner than later! I only have 7 to do! I reckon it must be easy. Just copying out a few key words from your hub and stuff. Will do that soon. Feeling lazy atm. T__T

8. profile image0
      SusieQ42posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've written summaries for all of the hubs I've written!  I finally finished the other day...over 200 of them.  Now, instead of letting them pile up,  I write one every time I publish a new hub.

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Zero. I've already completed that task. I'm testing the ones I've written. Meaning, I'm waiting a period of time, before I change them, to see if being written differently would be better. smile

3. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years ago

wait, what? Are summaries required now?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No.  But they are suggested - it your last chance to draw a searcher to your hub.

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Hah!  Like Cagsil, zero.  I only had a handful that I carefully wrote the first paragraph to make a good summary; the rest I custom wrote when the hub was made. 

Lucked out on this one. smile

5. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I always wrote my own custom summaries.  When the site changed to drop any automatically generated, I only had missed doing it for three out of 200 Hubs, and had those fixed in about ten minutes.

6. princess g profile image61
    princess gposted 12 years ago

I'm lazy, I've only written one.

7. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 12 years ago

None.  at. the. moment.

eventually, I will have them all done.... hopefully, a deadline will never be given.  lol

8. Robert Kernodle profile image80
    Robert Kernodleposted 12 years ago

Zero summaries to write.

I highly recommend that you compose hubpages summaries as the VERY FIRST words you write.  A summary sets up your article for fast, simple reference in search engines.

Compose the summary and tags with mathematical obsessiveness.

ALWYS do this.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, mostly. For some writers, the summary is what's written last, as well as the introduction. However, the point is to make sure that summary is included when you publish a Hub.

As for tags, HP will suggest some as you save your unpublished Hub or publish your Hub. Whether you want to use them is up to you. These are helpful hints, but you are best off analyzing your own text to single out tags. It doesn't hurt to let tags wait for HP suggestions or for your own reflection.

9. Maralexa profile image82
    Maralexaposted 12 years ago

I have just received notification from AdSense that they will crawling all over my site prior to giving me final AdSense approval.  It would seem to me now would be a good time to complete my summaries!  Thanks for the Heads Up.

10. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

Zero. When my traffic dropped, and I looked at how Amazon products were oversaturating my hubs with keywords, at the same time, I wrote all the summaries. That was a lot of all-nighters!

11. Robert Kernodle profile image80
    Robert Kernodleposted 12 years ago

To clarify:

When I wrote that the summary should be the FIRST words you write, I meant "the first words you TYPE" into the hubpages editor tool.

Of course, write a draft of your article first.  This will give you the basis for the summary.  But when you are ready to start typing your article into the publishing tool, type your summary first.

I assume that any good hubpages article starts with a handwritten or clipboard-typed draft first.  For me, nothing goes into the publishing tool, until it is perfected in a plain-text word document that I then paste (in pieces) into my actual hubpages article.

Robert

12. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 12 years ago

I have about 65 out of my 122. I'm doing it one hub at a time (not pressuring myself). I think I'll have it finished by the end of this year smile.

13. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

none...all done..wink

14. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I have a couple left that I'm not bothering with right now. Most of my hubs already had unique summaries so it didn't take me long to fix the others; there were about 20 without.

15. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 12 years ago

all hubs have summaries now - I just finished getting rid of my last "A" - never thought I would be trying to get rid of an A smile

16. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I've lost track, but there still looks like a "ton" of them.  I did about 40 in one sitting on morning.  It was depressing to see how many were left after the time it took to write those.  Then I've done some in batches of about 20 at one time or another.  If I'm in the mood I'll do a few more.  They're coming along but still kind of depressing.  I imagine another couple of weeks of picking away at them might do it.  (I have seen improvement in them after writing them, though.)

17. rikabothra profile image59
    rikabothraposted 12 years ago

I feel lucky in a way, since I joined hubpages recently, I had only 27 hubs to write summaries for! All Done...

18. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Live and learn, live and learn...nuts! Feeling stupid is not a good one.

19. WoodsmensPost profile image62
    WoodsmensPostposted 12 years ago

I only have 108 more to write summaries for. With my traffic at the lowest point ever after the plunge, I'm really not feeling a strong urgency to write any. Last month I didn't have any and traffic was fine at least was ok.

20. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I just went back to count my "A's".  More depressing than I thought...  :rolleye:

I had originally started tackling the summaries by groups by scores.  After writing summaries, and with whatever else goes on, those groups shift, of course.  So now, I'm looking at a whole other bunch of Hubs in each "scoring group".  In any case, it's interesting to note that the 90's Hubs have fewer "A's".  I did see some from each group go up to the next scoring group once they had summaries.

Anyway, depressing as it is to have counted now...

90's group:  5 need summaries.
    80's group:  49 or 50 (roll)
    70's group:  62 (plus or minus one or two because a sticking mouse) (roll  roll )
    60's group:  10 (smaller group, but because I addressed them earlier some of those moved into the 70's group)
    50's group (an unpublished few except for one that I kind of hate anyway):  1

I've kind of frozen (for now) because the few in the 90's that need summaries are a little more challenging than I feel like dealing with.  I'm tempted to start tackling the 80's group because that could push more into the 90's group.  Then again, I'm kind of OK with 80's and feel like the 70's ones need more immediate addressing.  With those being, maybe, the biggest group I've already done a ton of those and seeing so many left is (again) depressing.   lol  Also, since I did the easiest-to-write ones first, I'm not left with the ones I passed by the first few times out, looking for the quickest/easiest ones to do.  hmm  (Oh brother.  It's dark and pouring-rain out today.  I should have stayed away from this particular thread/subject until tomorrow.   big_smile)

smile

21. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

I've been including summaries since my very first hub almost two years ago. So I had no additional work to do. That summary box was always there.

But every once in a while, when I update an existing Hub, I also update the summary if it needs modification. That's important to keep in mind when you make changes, because the summary needs to relate to whatever was changed in the Hub.

22. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

I am continuing to do it piecemeal and still have a mountain of them to do...but am happy to report that the viewings and resulting income continues to rise.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)