What is the role of Christ in public education?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (31 posts)
  1. davenmidtown profile image67
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

This has always been a controversial subject, but what is the role of Christ in the public education system?  Does learning religious type material make a difference in children and their actions?  Should Christ and other religious material be banned from school programs?  Is there a place in public education for religion?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't play a role, because in America it's against the law to teach specifics other than generalized religion(the existence of religions).
      Yes, it teaches them the same things that the parents learn- do as I say, not as I do.
      It is already.
      Only in generalized format. No specific teachings.

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, many of our Australian schools teach a little about all religions and the history comes up in standard history lessons.

You can't teach one religion to kids who have every religion you can think of, someone would insist that only theirs had the truth.

That's why I said religion is taught in a generalized format. wink

Glad to know that, I sometimes get the idea that American schools do teach religion in some places. Would that be true do you think?
            We have religious schools here, but most do not enforce religious instruction.

2. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It has not place in public education.  If it is a Christian private or Catholic school, that is expected. However, a Christian student has the right to share their faith with others in the public school they attend.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

His Word should be the basis, actually, in public education.
      Yes, learning religious material makes a difference.
      No, basic Christian teachings shouldn't be banned from school programs.  Other religions' influence, yes, should be banned as far as feeding those to children. 
      The U.S. is case in point.  Over the years, the gradual but overt push to ban Christ's influence in our schools has finally led to the major controversies we're now going through in all aspects of American society, from moral decay to the economic problems we now face.   All those problems are tied inextricably together unless we fix the cracks in the foundation.  And I'm not advocating for a specific denomination;  I'm advocating for simple basic belief in and honor of the Biblical God the Creator.

Are you really looking to destroy society?
        Oh yeah, learning a bunch of myths is valid for living. NOT!
        Lovely, you want to stunt people's learning ability. How nice of you. roll
        If people like yourself kept your religious beliefs out of other people's life, then there wouldn't be so much controversy.
        You actually are advocating for screwing things up more than they are already. Good show.

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let's see here.  No other belief systems need apply as you know more than they do.  Somewhere I've picked up (perhaps wrongly?) that catholic beliefs won't be included, nor will Mormon or Witness concepts.  ONLY those Christian beliefs that you agree with shall be taught as real.  Yes, I know that you declare there will be no specific denomination, but I also seem to recall in past posts you declaring that particular Christian sects are not Christian.

What is it, Brenda, that makes you so egotistical?  So arrogant as to proclaim that all of American should be taught your beliefs while ignoring any and all that are in conflict or different? 

Thank goodness our founding fathers saw the conflict and insanity of such actions and declared that it not be allowed.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Public schools are not meant to teach religion due to the separation of church and state. Which is only logical as parents will come from all religions and none. You can't go teaching a kid that their parents religion is wrong.  What you can do is teach about religions without endorsing one over the other.

3. davenmidtown profile image67

How do you feel about teaching the historical context of religion?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Will you go into just how the holy bible was written, and then changed?  Will you go over all the books left out and why?  Will you discuss the sexual abnormalities of the church VIPs that oversaw its production?  Will you teach how Christianity took up pagan holidays in order to make it more palatable to them and make their "conversion" easier?

Will you discuss the crusades in detail, including reasons for them?  Will you also discuss Islam, buddism and wicca in the same manner?

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It seems rather pointless to teach all that mythology in school as there are mountains of it that have accumulated over the centuries, and it would take up way too much of the school curriculum. Besides, what will they gain from learning it? Nada. Zip. Nothing.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image76
        DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Teaching "mythology" as writing styles (similar to poems or authors) wouldn't bother me. Teaching belief systems about these mythologies on the other hand...that would be an issue.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me neither, but they should be electives in the school curriculum.

4. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Outside of a comparative religion class in the upper grades, none.  Nada, zero, zip.

5. davenmidtown profile image67

Hello earnestshub: There are private schools that do teach religion such as the catholic schools which can range from K-12 plus college.  But these are not public schools.

Thank you. smile

davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I must always question everything.  I feel like our public schools do such a bad job teaching children even the basics education.  I am curios how any of you think that can be corrected.  I am not suggesting teaching religion is the answer.

1. lone77star profile image73
          lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Secular education can be improved by demanding more (expecting more).

Many years ago a controlled study was performed with inner-city school kids. One teacher was told that they had an exceptional bunch of geniuses, but that they would try to do less unless challenged. Actually, they were an ordinary bunch of kids, and yet the teacher took them to academic heights in one year -- far above their wildest expectations.

All on a simple belief. Think what could happen if we challenged our teachers and students.

And that's only one technique.

Look up Jaime Escalante about whom the movie "Stand and Deliver" was written. Pure inspiration, but his fellow teachers couldn't swallow enough of their own ego to get on board with his successes. He even won the Presidential award for best teacher. He taught poor, "know-nothing" potential drop-outs calculus. Yes, calculus.

There is entirely too much ego in our school systems. Even many of the textbook writers are filled with their own self-importance -- especially those in the sciences and mathematics. Our third graders should be mastering calculus. Our first graders should be tackling algebra -- hot on the heals of multiplication tables.

And what's this with grades? If a student is overwhelmed by a subject, they get left behind. All it might take is a few minutes to tutor them over the hump. A first grader who fails their first year is being deprived nearly 20% of their lives by this travesty of heartless bureaucracy. I say let the students learn at their own pace. Challenge them, yes, but tutor them if they don't get it. And all students get 100% or they re-study the material. I don't believe in studying something to be half-assed about it.

Like me. I was overwhelmed in the reading circle, but bored to tears with math. This "one-size-fits-all" type of education is dinosaur mentality. And my first grade teacher did good. She took her own time and tutored me, one-on-one after class. I sent her a copy of my first published novel as a warm "thank you" for her unselfish gift.

These are some of the things we can do.

2. earnestshub profile image79

I have great empathy with anyone wanting better education. We are very fortunate with schools in Australia, but we have had to forego a lot to be where we are, close to the best schools in the State.
          We have given 12 years to the suburbs to achieve what we want for the kids. I am an inner city person and miss down town Melbourne where it all happens.

The little I know of the schools in America is through the eyes of one dedicated teacher I spent an hour with. She was in tears of desperation when explaining what she and her fellow teachers had to cope with to get their jobs done, She had not even been paid regularly!
          I had hoped it would be better by now. America has so much to offer, but not everyone seems to be getting a good shot at the American dream anymore..... or am I painting too dark a picture?

Most american public schools are pathetic.  They do not teach education anymore they teach students how to pass the government exams. My neighbors 13 year old can barley read.  How do they expect that children will grow up and be able to work at a quality job?

That's very sad. I wish some of the war money was going into education, but so many people depend on the military for employment, I can't see that winding down too fast with jobs so hard to get.
              Maybe they could turn all the military factories in to manufacturing plants for solar power or something? lol

was has always been our economic stabilizer.

except now... it is/has destroyed our economy

Yes, Iraq and Afghanistan eat an enormous amount of fuel and resources.
                    I wonder what the price of fuel would be without feeding the war machine..... 20 cents a gallon? They MUST be using massive quantities of fuel. America has to find a replacement for the war machine soon as a domestic income earner.
                    It's net retainable sucks!. smile

6. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't want Christianity taught in schools unless many forms of Christianity, plus Buddhism, Islam, Taoism, etc. were also taught.

You see, I'm a Christian, but I don't believe some interpretations of the Bible. Some so-called Christians think they have it all figured out... like the Young Earth Creationists. Gotta tell you, Rick Perry in the White House gives me the creeps. I wouldn't want his brand of belief forced on kids any more than I'd want Scientology made the state religion. See what I mean?

Separation of church and state is a good thing. It keeps things simple so that we can individually follow our hearts and souls in search of Christ.

What Christ can do is be in our hearts when we help others -- tutor kids that are falling behind. Help teachers do a better job, etc.

I think  you are both right... we certainly need to expect more from not only ourselves but from education.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)