What is Hypersexuality?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (31 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

I've been told that hypersexuality is a state of being where you are more aware
    than normal of your sexuality.

It could be that you are overly sensitive to the fact that licking your lips
    may "turn someone on" without your intention.

Or it may be that you are thinking about sex with every person of the opposite
    sex you meet, and wondering why, and how come you can't control it? Or why
    are you always nervous around them?

Perhaps it comes and goes.

Is it shyness? Nervousness? Or because your parent made you feel uncomfortable inappropriately and so now it's learned behavior?

Have you heard of it and what do you know or experience?

I'd like to do a hub on this because I think it's an interesting topic and one
    that many people experience but never understand why or are unaware.  This could be of great help to ease anxiety.

2. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I don't think it means any of the things you assume.  It is generally all about lack of inhibitions either due to some mental issues such as bipolar or straight forward lack of moral controls .  Basically hypersexuality means slut, male or female.

schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

oh, wow.
      I think it can be unintentional thou, like you said due to bipolar, and maybe other things? Oh and I don't think everyone acts on these feelings, that it could make them extremely uncomfortable.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I saw a TV special about brain damage where some woman in Britain had suffered damage and it affected her sexual desire to the point she was afraid to go outside.  A walk to town inevitably ended with her in bed with a stranger.  Unless her husband was right with her at all times she would bed any man she saw. 

You're right - extremely uncomfortable.  Both MD's and psychologists were working with her, trying to find out why and how to stop it, but no real results yet.

Maybe that's hypersexuality.  A slut, yes, but not by choice.  She couldn't control it, kind of like bipolar.  Or like anyone with a compulsion to wash their hands, gamble, whatever.

I don't think it's always that serious, but yeah that sounds pretty bad.

2. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly how I would describe it, wilderness, from what I understand about the meaning of the prefixes - hyper and hypo.

hyper - too high, therefore I would state the simple definition of hypersexuality as a sex drive that is abnormally high - for whatever the individual reasons might be.

hypo - too low.  Not important for this conversation, just throwing it out there for the sake of comparison.

smile

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image80

if you look it up on wikipedia, it's not that serious.

2. recommend1 profile image59
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

"extremely uncomfortable" after the first dozen or so in the day I guess big_smile

I guess hypersexuality is nymphomania in a different name ?

whatever LOL lol

1. Harlan Colt profile image78
            Harlan Coltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Every guy who hasn't commented is thinking... why can't I meet a woman like that. LOL!

1. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Untrue.

explain.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image80

ok, well of course not all men want a woman who wants every man she sees, unless maybe it's just him and she wants him all the time, unless he can't handle that. And again, being hypersexual doesn't mean the person wants everyone. It's just an uncomfortable feeling.

Oh, I didn't know we were talking about Me.   (!) Um I thought this was hypothetical...
                  I on the contrary do not act out these feelings-not physically-and I don't "want" every man. I just get shy and nervous.  Men make me nervous in all sorts of ways due to bad fatherhood.....

2. Friendlyword profile image61
              Friendlywordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't know men if you think that. She must be able to completely cover up the fact that she is mentally ill.  No man would want to take advantage of someone that's not making a conscious choice to have sex with them. That's rape.

1. recommend1 profile image59
                recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Women who have sexually come onto me in this way over the years do not appear to be mentally ill usually, just over-liberal in their sexual appetites.  My rejection of them has been purely on health grounds normally big_smile   This not being mentally ill does not include a young woman who insisted on having sex with almost all the crew members on my submarine (126 men) but I think the OP means more men and women who actively seek out sex all the time ?

It's a choice.  I think this thread is being misunderstood, not that I care, why would I care what people really think when I write about mental health everyday? Like who really accepts it? (Obviously the smart educated ones do) But yeah, ....A choice. 

Um- "more men and women who actively seek out sex all the time?"
                  No.

I mean..a person who is overly anxious about things. Not seeking overly, no. Just too aware of things. Unable to ignore a man's gaze or presence making her blush or feel shy even though she's not shy. Something like that I guess.

1. Friendlyword profile image61

I understand now. Forgive my juvenile come on.
                    Some people may not have the education needed to control their sexual urges or handle sexual advances from others. So, there is no choice for some people.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image80

who are we talking about?

And mentally ill? Being mentally ill or "someone with depression- which is in fact almost everyone at least at some point" does not make one unable to decide things. roll

3. Friendlyword profile image61
    Friendlywordposted 12 years ago

This could be a very good forum or hub! Some people have a really strong sexual magnetism that they are not aware of.  Like you.  I can say every man that is reading this forum is attracted to you.  But, you may not even think you're sexy. Some people react badly to so much attention.  How do you handle it? (wink wink)

Thank you.
      That is the nicest compliment I've heard in a long time smile wink

[Are you a single good looking male?! big_smile lol]

Hmmm a really strong sexual magnetism...cool! My mom does. I guess it's good.

As I say, though.....every man? wow. thanks

That feels great.

No, I didn't think I was, not until I at least am physically satisfied with how I want to look exactly.

How do I handle it? I blush. smile

1. Friendlyword profile image61

"Are you a single good looking male"

Thank you! Now you made me blush! I guess I have that "SEXUAL MAGNETISM" going on too.  It's going to be hard for you to keep this a serious discussion. It will be a great hub and a good time had by all! (lighting a cigarette)

Okay, don't mind if I do too [puff puff] lol

hmm sexual magnetism is always good...I'm still single thou...lol

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image80

This makes me very uncomfortable at times because I'm not sure if I'm making some people -men uncomfortable. I am nervous by nature ... and I feel uncomfortable when I 'feel' something between a therapist or social worker, and I have trouble dealing with it, like I want to run away from it sometimes. Any suggestions?

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

There are different kind of hypersexuality but basically it is a person that needs, wants or chooses to have a hell of a lot of sex. It is only a problem if it causes a problem in their life. I think it often is just a physical thing, lie some people are more hungry or like to exercise more of have a better sense of taste or smell.

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
  7. schoolgirlforreal profile image80

I am so f'n niave! I can't believe I posted all this b.s.!!! Thanks for the feedback thou.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)