people with disabilities trying to publish hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image52
    Alex StJohnposted 12 years ago

Why do you make things difficult for people with disabilities to publish hubs? Why can you not make the instructions more specific and simplistic?

1. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you explain what you are having trouble with, you'll find that both staff and those of us who are hubbers will do our very best to help you.

1. profile image52
        Alex StJohnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is like pulling teeth trying to find help here! I have wasted so much time trying to find the answer to a simple question. I am damn well determined to find the answer. Well  I Just had to vent my hubpages frustrations first. This is not just a hub page problem, but a problem that I find all over the web on similar sites.
        I'm trying to publish my second hub? I have just finished editing it before attempting to publish it. and cannot find the box to press to publish it? Can this be made simpler by hub pages to accomplish this task?

1. QuestionMaster profile image80
          QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can only publish the hub while in edit mode. If you've saved it, you need to go back into it and press edit, then you'll see the publish button.

2. QuestionMaster profile image80
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

It depends what type of disability you're referring to. Just saying "disabilities" is very general. For instance are you referring to a physical or learning disability or a language barrier?

1. profile image52

Physical! But what does it matter. Still instructions should be made specific and simplistic. This is a problem not only on this website but on almost all the other similar websites. Simplicity plus specificity equals success

1. Topnewhottoys profile image60
        Topnewhottoysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Alex - sorry to hear you need to vent, but...

the button to publish is pretty distinctive, right at the top of the page you are editing.

It is one of only 3 light blue buttons in the top black bar. The choices are - Preview, Save unpublished, and Publish. (once a hub is published, they change to - Preview, Unpublish, and Done editing)

Not speaking sarcastically, but those are pretty descriptive and simple choices.

A lot better than some others, as you noted, that force you to search the page for normal-text size links to complete a task

GA

1. profile image52

Yeah, I know about the big publish now button in the edit mode. I had a problem with edit earlier today, for some reason it would take me to the page where on the top the boxes were the following edit, stats,delete and suggested link. After reading your post I shut down my computer and hooked up a different mouse got back into hub pages and proceeded to do what QuestionMaster suggested, and it worked. Even after I hit publish now I still have some problems. I'm not one that likes to give up, but I convinced myself this was just not meant to be. So I killed the article and deleted it. I will try again another time with another article. I appreciate your help and that of others, and by all means be as sarcastic as you want. You can call me gimp123 if you want. I should I'm thinking about changing my name to this because I'll probably get more sympathy ha ha. Anyways I use Dragon sometimes because of my carpal tunnel, but even it can be more disabled than I. I constantly have to edit it. So occasionally I will use the two finger or one-handed mode of typing.

Take care and thanks again
          Alex

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

The instructions are already simplistic.

Try reading the FAQ's page and visiting the Learning Center.

http://hubpages.com/faq/
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

1. profile image52

okay so explain this to me. How do I publish a hub that I have just finished editing but have not yet published but want to publish it. Where is the publish now box that I can click on to publish it?show me what I missed? Show me how simple it is? And I'll be a believer! Have you ever had any handicaps?

When in edit mode there are three big colored buttons at the top of the page. Click on the one that says Publish.

1. profile image52

all right QuestionMaster you're a genius. Can you help me with the proper and simplistic way of putting links in your article, with one of your to the point explanations. I did accomplish this in my first article, but didn't find it easy.

1. Anchor text links
          2. Affiliate links

Edit the text capsule where you wish to place the link.

Use your mouse to highlight the word/s you want to turn into a link.

At the top of the text capsule click on the link button (looks like a chain).

In the box that pops up, put in the link URL.

Close the box and your link will be in place.

You can only do text links, you cannot link from photos. Also, many affiliate links are not allowed on Hubpages.

1. profile image52

Thanks QuestionMaster Totally understand it now
              I wish you were on every website. I am Familiar with the link chain from WordPress and MS word. Question on affiliate links
              what affiliate links are allowed on hub pages, how many, and where must they be placed. Just want to do it right and stay within hub pages protocol. I never overdo my linking.

1. Pcunix profile image92
                Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you read through http://hubpages.com/faq/

2. QuestionMaster profile image80

This explains how you can place affiliate links:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#overly_promotional

Note that you cannot have more than TWO outgoing links to any one domain per hub. Also, you cannot link to the same domain across all your hubs.

As for a list of affiliates... Hubpages got strict about this a few months ago but has never released an official list of banned affiliates. So basically it involves inserting a link and seeing if the system flags you with a warning or not.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
                  mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not releasing a list of prohibited affiliate links was one of HP's more insane ideas. Can you imagine writing an entire Hub based on an affiliate link you planned to earn from, only to have your hub unpublished when you finally got to finishing it based on a prohibited link! I seem to recall another Hubber wrote a wonderful analogy of this situation by pointing out how it would be received if a police officer pulled you over for an offense, and then when you asked how you could have known your actions were an offense, he told you he was not allowed to tell you because that might be abused by others who wanted to commit offenses, apparently because it would help them to know which ones they could avoid  and could therefore compile a list of 'okay' ones to abuse! (only he/she wrote it much better and far funnier) LOL.

2. profile image52

And how many more layers of pages to I have to read through to get the answer to the question I want?

4. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 12 years ago

HubPages can not be everything to everyone.

As a PRIVATE business who exists to turn a profit their only obligation is to do the best job they can for the community that chooses to participate.

The World is not perfect as crass as that sounds.

Sometimes it's better to worry about what you can do and not what you can not do.

There is no way for anyone to know you are "Disabled" unless you tell them.

I have not seen any articles from Stephen Hawking yet.  Life isn't fair and it sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.

Whether you see the glass as half empty or half full is up to you.

1. profile image52

I do not understand your reply? What chip are you referring to? I did reference that I am disabled. You would be surprised that  for the most part that I agree with you. I'm not asking to be wet nursed,I'm not asking for someone to change a bed pan and I'm not asking for larger toilets and handicapped ramps. I am just seeking clarity to be more efficient in my job. Finally I have found this from QuestionMaster who is spot on with explanations. The glass is always half full,and I'm working overtime to fill the glass to the top.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)