Put horizontal ruled line above Google ads at bottom of each hub

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

I have noticed that the three Google ads that appear at the bottom of each hub look very much as though they are part of the hub itself. I am wondering whether this could be a reason why some HP members have had their Adsense account disabled, because if you put a link of your own at the bottom of one of your hubs and encourage people to click on it, this could very well mean that Google thinks you're encouraging them to click on its ads.

Would it be possible for HP staff to put this ad block in a square border or add - say - a black horizontal line at the top of the ad block, the better to distinguish it from the material in our hubs?

The alternative is for us to add a line of our own at the bottom of every hub. This would be too labour intensive for me, never mind people with hundreds of hubs!

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The ads above the share bar are non-standard units that use custom formatting.  They are only run with the HubPages AdSense Publisher Id in them as part of the HubPages Ad Program, so it's very unlikely that those ads could be responsible for someone's account being disabled.  In addition, Google reviewed and specifically approved our implementation of that ad, as they do for all ads with custom formatting.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OK, thanks for clearing that one up.

2. LeanMan profile image79
        LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What about where some hubbers have inserted a picture pointing down to the voting bar saying "click here" to encourage votes - now it points at the adds..... did google see an example of this when they reviewed the add placement??

We'd appreciate it if those inducements were removed, but as that ad does not ever contain their AdSense Publisher Id it should not cause them to be banned from AdSense.

While, I do not believe encouraging people to vote on a Hub as you describe is clearly prohibited by our terms of use (we do prohibit "engaging in behavior designed to manipulate HubScores"), it does present a few problems:

- it has the potential to skew the thumbs up and down ratio for a Hub in unnatural ways (as compared to Hubs without the inducement)
          - it hampers our ability to make design changes, for instance moving the share buttons to the top of the hub or affixing them in the sidebar as some sites do
          - very aggressive inducements to click on a link or take some particular action could be construed as "overly promotional" (for the most part this does not apply to what you are talking about)

As such, we encourage Hubbers not to make assumptions about the location of non-capsule layout elements, such as the ads, the share bar, or related hubs, when deciding how to layout theirHubs.   While they have been very stable over the last 5 years, and we always do consider the effect of a change on existing Hubs, things are almost certain to change at some point.  In fact, some concepts were posted to our blog a few months ago (though a switch to that design is not imminent).

2. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

I thought one of the bonus points of the HubAds program was that we gained access to more adsense/non standard units, or does it actually mean we get access to the standard adsense ad units plus HubAds?

Those ads run in both our share and author's share, but they always have our publisher id in them, meaning that the earnings from them is paid out through the Ad Program.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just wondering something else: do Hubbers get any money off actual clicks from Adsense ads served as part of the HP ad program? Or is anything we get just from impressions?

Yes, clicks affect how much you get paid, but the connection is not quite as direct.

2. thisisoli profile image69
        thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

I would appreciate a horizontal rule and/or a tiny bit of space between the bottom of the hub and the ads. I have arthritis, and I accidentally clicked an Adsense ad down there while aiming for something else.

"Oh, no!" I thought. "I hope Google didn't see that! I didn't mean to do it!" Losing one's Adsense account just as one is finally approaching the minimum payment threshold would be so frustrating. I've read so many horror stories.

It also is a little hard to see, visually, where the Hub ends and the ads begin. I keep finding myself placing a picture or ... something, anything at the bottom to make the division between my content and advertising more clear. It's especially problematic with the Links capsule, since it tends to blur right into the ads, yet the bottom of a Hub is generally the most logical place for links/bibliography.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)